Garden Tractor Forums banner

My Search For A Wheel Horse Rj58 Is Over!

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Texas Deere and Horse 
#1 ·
For the past year I have been trying to ad a RJ58 to the collection. I was looking, asking, and willing to travel for anything complete. Restored or not, dead or alive.

I had found a lead in Iowa but got fustrated after the seller canceled and postponed on me for 2 months. So I gave up and continued.

Over the past few months I got leads from other tractor sales or purchases, but everything left me empty handed.

Last year I remember seening one at our local car swap meet. At the time I walked away thinking the seller was crazy for what he was asking. So today Michelle and I went with a wad of cash hoping to find this tractor. It took about 3-4 hours and my eyes light up when I saw it in the distance. After 5 minutes haggeling with the seller, the wife said If it is what you want buy it.

So I said deal and we drove it away. I dont remember the last time I heard so many comments and looks after buying something. On our way out 3 people asked us how much I paid.

The search is finally over. Thank god because I was about to give up.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You hinted that you may have gone long to get it (I'm not asking), but it's really great that you have the passion and desire for a specific model and to have found the one.

Too bad the muffler is an issue - I love the way it looks. Maybe you need to get some asbestos pants.

It sure does look shiny. She has some nice, gentle curves.

#4 ·
Congrats for finally getting your RJ. :thumbs: Glad to see your wait is over.

I don't mean to be negative, but to me, it looks like the tractor was completely stripped on the necessities. I don't know if you have knowledge about the tractor or not, but since you already mentioned the muffler shield is missing, did you get the rear lifting cable and hitch, the lifting handle, and the throttle cable and lever? Again, please don't think I'm trying to take away your thunder, I'm just trying to point out to you all of the other things that seem to be missing. Without these other items, it don't leave you with much, as far as using attachments.

Congrats again, and enjoy!

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
We will be getting the lift handle and I think a mower deck. But thats it. The white knob is whats currently contriling the throttle. I have been looking at others online and with time I hope to get the tractor back to original. I am currently in the middle for another restoration.

Long term goal for this is to do a bread320i restoration.

I would be happy to see pictures of what It "should" look like so I know what I am looking for.

#10 ·
Glad you were able to find one! It has lots of potential. Enjoy it, Adam!

#16 ·
Adam,

My RJ is currently in pieces, but I think I know where everything is at. I'll try and take some pictures of the miscellaneous parts that you need, so you at least have an idea as to what you are looking for. I'll warn you now, the pieces won't look like much, as the previous owner had the whole tractor painted green because he thought it was a John Deere due to having clam shell like fenders.

As for the boiler plate transmission. I think they call it that, due to having the two pieces of flat steel bolted to each side of the transmission. Like a boiler, these two pieces of steel is what holds the tranny together. Don't hold me to this, as Wheel Horses are quite new to me, and I don't have the knowledge of them like I do the John Deere's. but I think I'm at least in the ballpark with this assumption.

#17 ·
Adam,

Troy is right on the tranny, The Ponds Fabricated the first years of the Trans. housings out of Boiler plate steel, then they were able to get casting made to make the Trans housing a 2 piece construction.

You have to remember that this Father and Son team built these tractors in the garage for several years before getting into a bigger shop.

The RS-83 ( Rideaway Sr.) had Bull gears cut from actual Boiler Plate with a Ox/Act. torch by the ponds and then sent to a machine shop to have the gear teeth cut into them.

And finally, Congratulations on your new Rj, you even got a good set of Original Good-Year Turfs on the rear. Way to GO !!!

Reactions: KennyP
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.