Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Vote Now For Featured Tractor Of The Month For May 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote now for featured tractor for May 2013 (117 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote

1. Bolens 1256D - 8tyman8 (13 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

2. John Deere 318 - nbent (4 votes [3.42%])

Percentage of vote: 3.42%

3. Sears ST/12 - Farmlife (6 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

4. Cub Cadet Diesel Puller - Dieselcubmike (9 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

5. Wheel Horse Puller - Chris11 (39 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Wheel Horse Suburban - Bob IN (46 votes [39.32%])

Percentage of vote: 39.32%

Vote

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 03, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of May 2013 has now officially started. This month's theme is Custom / Modified garden tractor.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of May and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. Our featured tractor winners are also printed in the Lawn & Garden Tractor Magazine so if you are not a subscriber you are missing out.

We have 6 nominations this month:

• Bolens 1256D – 8tyman8
  • John Deere 318 – nbent
  • Sears ST/12 – Farmlife
  • Cub Cadet Diesel Puller – Dieselcubmike
  • Wheel Horse Pulling Tractor – Chris11
  • Wheel Horse Suburban – Bob IN

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• Newpaws493, Huskyfan, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 05, 2013 - 10:02 PM

I Would like to nominate my project 70's Bolens 1256D

This project began As a Grade 12 high school project last September

it started as bolens 1256 and i bought it last spring and it had a 12hp Wisconsin engine that I think ran with out a air cleaner at one point in its life and it burned oil Very badly after i got it going.I posted a wanted add on Kijiji wanting a kubota Diesel engine (i have Always wanted a Diesel tractor)  i found one and contacted the person for almost 7 month's that deal went Sour So i ruled out a rebuild of the Wisconsin and i found a Kohler K341 that i was going to install but it was too big so my teacher had brought in his kubota b5100 that had a Z500 diesel engine once i Started that engine something clicked. So the search began again for another kubota engine i posted a wanted ad and i found one But the the Fellow was Quite far away some time goes by and then he Emails me and says hes coming my way and he can bring it along so i bought it Turns out it was a Kubota z482 2 cylinder liquid cooled engine and then the project began. I had to extend the frame 6" to allow everything to fit in the frame then i made a custom oil pan out of aluminum then made motor mounts once they were done Made Many brackets and mounts for the rad,filters,and every thing between then it went on to fabricating the fuel and transmission tank's then it was installing Aux hydraulics then Finishing work To this point the tractor is Almost done but if finishing work Honestly i have done so much i can't remember All of it 

This is my project and my story

There is a Full thread about it in the Diesel section on this forum

Cheers

Tyler

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0010.JPG
  • IMG_0098.JPG
  • IMG_0036.JPG
  • IMG_0037.JPG
  • IMG_0038.JPG
  • IMG_0077.JPG
  • IMG_0078.JPG
  • IMG_0150.JPG
  • IMG_0088.JPG
  • IMG_0077.JPG
  • IMG_0084.JPG

Edited by 8tyman8, April 05, 2013 - 10:07 PM.

• tinner, 101 senior, speedyg and 9 others have said thanks

#3 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 02:15 AM

Well i would like to nominate my john deere 318 it started life as a factory 318 and it was that way when i bought it back in about 2008. well after the engine blew up i put a kohler 12 horse k series in it which was fine until the rear snow bower got putt on. one problem with the snow blower was there wasn't a way to power it, so the customization began.

First was a hydraulic pump, valve block, and reservoir, from a farmhand front loader off of a jd 4020 tractor. well this punp would over powerthe engine even when it was wide open. and that began the process im in now, re-powering it with a 1.9 liter straight 4 fom a 79 chevy luv. so far i have the engine in the tractor with the drive line conected, frame extended 14", and 1 of 2 motor mounts made. i havent had much time to work on it recently, but i hope to get it done soon. so of the things left are plumbing the radiator and hydro cooler, finish mounts, route new houses to the front outlets, mount radiator, figure out a fan for the engine, and mount the extra hydraulic pump. as i make progress on it i will add more pics to here as well as to the most recent thread i started for it,http://gardentractor...ding-a-monster/

this is with the blower on the rear

gallery_8649_517_1328956290_8821.jpg

these are the front fenders i made for it

gallery_8320_17_357627.jpg

and these are the big repowerDSC00530.JPG DSC00539.JPG DSC00542.JPG

this is the new motor that is going in itDSC00531.JPG

• tinner, 101 senior, speedyg and 8 others have said thanks

#4 Farmlife OFFLINE  

Farmlife

Tractor Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12309
  • 1,232 Thanks
  • 1,461 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 06:19 AM

Well, I believe I will enter my 1972 Sears ST/12.  The original plan for this tractor was to restore back to original condition and preserve yet another great piece of history.  About half way through, that idea was put to rest.  I started a lawn care company and besides the commercial mowers I had purchased, I needed something strong, durable, meant for serious work.  I needed something that would pull my nearly 900 pound roller, use a grader blade, use a tiller, etc... The Sears would be just the tractor with a high/low range and the 12hp Tecumseh it came stock with. 

I had to rewire the entire tractor.  It was a mess.  The ignition, solenoid, starter.....all was shot.  The high/low range was froze solid and had to be fixed.  Tires and rims were mismatched sizes, and it desperatly needed paint.  Other things soon followed as the carb needed rebuilt and cleaned and the 42" deck needed new bearings, spindles, belt.  I never gave up no matter how many problems arose with this thing.  I knew what I would have when I was done.  A real work horse.  A real piece of steel rather than the big store tin.

I ended up useing a set of rims and tires off a Wheelhorse 800 Special.  The rims set in a little deeper than the Sears but are the same style.  The seat is off my 1964 Springfield 36 only as a temporary (sorry Casey). I steered away from the original colors and went with an orange that matched my Scag commercial mowers and then used spray-on truck bed liner where you see black in the pictures.  Those rims will never rust again!! I went with an aftermarket starter and solenoid to replace the original ones that were so badly fried.  I had a friend make a set of decals that you can see on the hood that I believe give it a better look and makes it better suited for the plans I have for it. 

Even though this wasn't restored back to original, I still had plenty of fun with it.  I am very pleased with the end result!!

Before:

s1.jpg s3.jpg s6.jpg s8.jpg

s2.jpg s4.jpg s5.jpg s7.jpg

s9.jpg s10.jpg

• tinner, 101 senior, speedyg and 10 others have said thanks

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 06, 2013 - 05:45 PM

I would like to nominate my 1976 Cub Cadet diesel puller. We had gotten it around 6 years ago as a grass cutter and as a back up just in case. It came equipped with a 12hp Kohler k301 gas motor and 3 speed transmission. After using it for about 2 years the motor was getting tired so me and my dad decided to park it until we got time to replace it as we had gotten another back up mower for the time being. During that time me and dad were in full swing with pulling, he had his 128 cub with a 16hp and I had my 124/128 to play with. After the season was done a good friend of ours, Bob rowan did some work for a gentleman and was given 3 diesel motors out of refrigerated trailers, so my dad and him brainstormed the idea of putting them in the cub and making them diesel pullers. Of course coming from a gasser back ground we knew hardly anything about them other than being huge and heavy units and that they spin counter clock wise (would explain why we had 3 reverse and 1 forward gear!) So the next season came and my dad, bob, and bob's grandson had the pullers up and ready to go and they had gotten a lot of feedback and looks, so with that it was my turn to build one.

After saving up for awhile I came across a Kubota d-1105 out of a zero turn and purchased it. After it got here we needed a frame and sheet metal, so we went to the shed and pulled the 1200 out of storage and prepped it for its new life. After planting the big diesel inside we ran into a few problems. The motor with the radiator was longer than the frame, so we had to extend the frame 6.5 inches to accommodate the radiator and the front grille piece and hood. The next thing to address was to strengthen the frame. Though the cubs come with a heavy duty frame already, I don't think the engineers had any idea that a 3 cylinder Kubota would replace a 12hp kohler, so we added some extra padding on each side of the frame were the engine mounts to the frame to keep it from twisting the frame severely and breaking the mounts off. After that was done we moved the steering tower over to allow the clutch assembly to fit in under the dash, and make mounts for the clutch assembly and bolt it to the frame. After wall that was done, it was time to drill holes in the dash for my gauges so I could monitor the beast under the hood and make sure everything was running properly. After having my dad help configure the wiring and plumbing, it still needed to be painted and have her new set of wheels put on. The original colors were pretty faded at the time, so I decided to do white with blue racing stripes (at the time I was driving a dodge neon r/t and I loved how the 2 colors went together). Though we never got around to applying the stripes, we did manage to get the wheels put on which were a pair of Dick Cepek giant pullers. They measured 26x12x12 and up front I had a pair of tri rib tires. After final assembly and having a few times to start it up, it was ready for pulling season. After placing 4th for the first time out with something I had never been on, I decided it was time to change things up a bit. Since then, ive added vogel manufacturing vm 09 tires on the back, custom made fenders to replicate the international harvester look, custom side frame covers and a new front weight bar bracket along with new front wheels which were lighter than the tri ribs I had. Everything that was custom made was made by my father, which without him I could've never had this amazing machine in the first place. The fuel tanks, fenders, frame covers, seat and battery box under the seat were all made by him. Its been an awesome 3 years ive had this machine and I look forward to the next item I add to it. Its amazing from how this started out as a regular cub meant to cut grass, to a smoke belching, diesel consuming monster and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would like to give a special thanks to Bob rowan, Robbie Clark,and my mother. And a very special thanks to my father, who without his help and knowledge, it wouldn't be where it is today and im very thankful for him and the lord above! For anyone wanting to see the original diesel visit my YouTube page. There youll see all the diesel guys and a few odds and ends there, and why your there why not throw a like or subscription my way id greatly appreciate it! Thanks for an amazing website guys!

diesel 1
Album: My diesel
12 images
2 comments

• tinner, 101 senior, speedyg and 7 others have said thanks

#6 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted April 07, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I am submitting my custom Wheel Horse pulling tractor. I made the frame to the hood and it's powered by a CH 30hp Kolher, the tractor is 4 inchs longer then stock. It was built with parts from a Wheel Horse Raider and an 8 speed tranny from a 314 Wheelhorse. I made a new frame and every part on it. I had to make steering shafts, motor mounts, engine intake for 2brl carb, SS header. I also had to add a wheelie bar and an ajustable hitch for pulling . The seat pan is made of aluminum and the polished dash has a working lighter. It has SS shifters, a modified front axle. The front dropped spindles are custom made.
I work for a high end race car shop and I have always built and restored things for fun. I was introduced to garden tractor pulling in 2010 and love it. I've always loved Wheel Horses anyway and now have quite a collection going. Chris Cassidy100_4482.jpgnewwheels005.jpg0703121813a.jpg

Edited by Chris11, April 07, 2013 - 11:02 AM.

• tractorman604, tinner, 101 senior and 15 others have said thanks

#7 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted April 08, 2013 - 06:11 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8647.JPG
  • IMG_8651.JPG
  • IMG_8649.JPG

• tractorman604, tinner, 101 senior and 12 others have said thanks

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Decisions, time to make those decisions :D

• Huskyfan said thank you

#9 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 11:11 AM

How do you submit a tractor to be listed for tractor of the month. I have one Id like to submit if not this month maybe next month.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 11:43 AM

How do you submit a tractor to be listed for tractor of the month. I have one Id like to submit if not this month maybe next month.

It would be too late for this month as the nominations have been closed and the voting started already.

Keep an eye on the featured tractor forum for when the next monthly nomination opens and see what the theme is for that month and if it fits in you are more than welcome to nominate your tractor.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 11:44 AM

Get them votes in gang. Not much time left on this one.

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Wow, a lot of nice tractors nominated this month!  I love those pulling tractors.  A lot of time and money into getting those things to where they are now!  I noticed the theme this month seems to be more focused on re-powering tractors with non-stock engines and cutting and lengthening frames to accommodate them.  I do love some of the custom paint jobs on these tractors too, very nice!  Great work everyone!

(Aside:  I'm kind of surprised by the voting outcome. The tractor that I was suspecting would run away with all of the votes really didn't.  I'm guessing the pulling tractors aren't as popular on this site as I would have thought, lol...)

Edited by MailmAn, April 30, 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Congrats to our winner, they have been posted to the front page.