27 replies to this topic

#16 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 01:15 AM

-no matter what your talking about the outcome is only as good as the prep put in and the follow through to the end. but are you kidding me every part I have ever coated went back in service not on a trailer or a garage to sit. my customers are not rich they restore/rebuild because they cant afford new

I have said many times that a factory powder coated part is usually junk! if you recall I even said it in that thread!the part cures by part metal temp they set there line at 1 speed and certain parts get what they should and certain parts dont in certain places of the piece being cured ,a factory warranty on the finish is 1 yr, let me see wet paint with no primer do that !-I can blast off ANY paint way easier than powder and I have more cfm than probably anyone on this forum!

just by the statements you have already made no matter what I show you ,your mind is made up .
so good for you !have a nice day !go buy spray paint at wally world -Im not gonna go back and forth with you .

you want answers or proof google it- salt spray tests powder vs paint Im sure something will come up

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 04:46 AM

I don't know if Maynard does house calls, but if he does, let me know too!:laughingteeth:

PS, Find out if he works for beer. :D

Alan,to answer you two questions:
1)Your on my list.:smilewink:

2)YES:laughingteeth:

Edited by mjodrey, October 22, 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#18 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 05:38 AM

I restored my Deck about 3 years ago and used just, primer and rustoleum paint. This deck gets used alot as it is my primary grass cutting deck. Every couple mows I take the deck off and scrape off any grass left behind. As all of you know the underside of a deck is one of the harshest conditions for paint to stand up to. So far there are no chips or scratches anywhere.

Bolens deck cleanup 004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Bolens deck cleanup 003.jpg

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 05:47 AM

I'll say that's holding up well Brian.

#20 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 09:29 AM

-no matter what your talking about the outcome is only as good as the prep put in and the follow through to the end.

On those points, we are definitely in agreement.

but are you kidding me every part I have ever coated went back in service not on a trailer or a garage to sit. my customers are not rich they restore/rebuild because they cant afford new

No, I'm not kidding you. There are all kinds of collectors that have anywhere from three to eighty fully restored tractors in their collection. I wouldn't call them "rich" but they aren't poor either. Perhaps that's where the difference of opinion lies in this discussion. People who truly understand the meaning of the word "restoration" won't bring their tractor parts to a powder coating company because the factory didn't use this method when the tractor was built. The second reason is that most of these collector/restorers are not rich and therefore can't afford to spend four to six hundred dollars for powder coating.

I have said many times that a factory powder coated part is usually junk! if you recall I even said it in that thread!the part cures by part metal temp they set there line at 1 speed and certain parts get what they should and certain parts dont in certain places of the piece being cured ,a factory warranty on the finish is 1 yr, let me see wet paint with no primer do that !-I can blast off ANY paint way easier than powder and I have more cfm than probably anyone on this forum!

I can't speak for every brand ever made but I can speak for the brand I collect. I have quite a few Case tractors that date back to the early 70's and into the late 60's that still have excellent paint on them. Overall, the sprayed paint finish has held up very well considering it has been forty-years since they left the factory.

just by the statements you have already made no matter what I show you ,your mind is made up .

I think that you misunderstand. I am not saying that powder coating is a bad method of applying a paint finish. The question here is whether powder coating is the RIGHT choice compared to the other methods available. From a purist, restoration point of view, it is not the right choice. From the point of view of Joe Average who wants his tractor to look respectable but doesn't have 4 to 6 hundred bucks kicking around for powder coating, then it probably isn't the right choice either.

I can buy two quarts of genuine Case enamel plus some Case hardener for less than fifty bucks and apply that myself. For me to spend another $550.00 to have someone in the powder coating business put a finish on my tractors would be cost prohibitive. Right now, I couldn't sell a restored tractor for the amount of money it cost me to buy that tractor and restore it; let alone get one shiny dime for all the time I spent doing the work. That's a fact of life.

As for those who just want a "work tractor" instead of the trailer queens that most collector/restorers have, I don't see the advantage for powder coating there either. A decent quality spray-finish can last decades if the tractor is looked after well. I see proof of that on a regular basis in ads that show up on C/L and e-Bay with one-owner tractors that look almost as good as the day that tractor was delivered by the dealer some forty-years ago. I also see the same vintage machines that are almost pure rust because of being left out in the sun, rain and snow 365 days per year for forty-years. The point is this. If you own a work tractor, you can still apply your own finish in your garage or back yard for a very low cost. If you keep your tractor housed when it is not in use, that finish will last you for many, many years.
so good for you !have a nice day !go buy spray paint at wally world -Im not gonna go back and forth with you .

That's the sort of reply that people who can't justify their prior statements make. They just get all huffy and try to end the discussion whenever they are challenged.

you want answers or proof google it- salt spray tests powder vs paint Im sure something will come up

It's not my job to locate information that justifies the claims you made. That's your task. And further, this is not just about longevity of finish, either. Much of it has to do with economics and frankly, I don't see where powder coating an old GT that might be worth $500.00 on the used market makes economic sense.

Do I expect you to reply? No sir, I do not. I just wanted to flesh out my side of the discussion for all of the others who are reading this thread and let them make up their own minds on the matter.

#21 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 12:32 PM

Wow, glad I started this! ;o)

My "restored" tractors are currently being used but are relatively well taken care of (cleaned, maintained, kept inside when not being used, etc.) so maybe I should have picked a better term. My model 86 went to a few shows but once we bought our farm I needed it for work. My 1450 was "restored" with the intent of using it as my lawn mower. My plans for the MF 10 will be a more "easy" life as I don't have an imediate need for another garden tractor per-say. I'd like it to look new and perforform as new, but I am not looking for a museum piece either.

#22 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 12:53 PM

bolens1000 is a perfect example of doing it right and its working fine for him

I just got my new computer, the old 1 took a crap so let me get all my info loaded and I will give you the proof you so desire!
but a simple search on google will help anyone who cant wait for my info,it may take me a week or so but I will find it

are you aware of how many frame off restorations they have on classic autos where they powdercoated the frame?thats not what came on it from the factory,
I would say thousands of them,look at all the shows dedicated to rebuilding and restoring off road vehicles ,classic cars ,spike tv gives a whole day to it every week to it

I like a good debate but the only consistant point you make is its not true to the time !ok I can agree to that

but your putting a price on something you have no idea what it means to the owner of it,you say a 500 dollar tractor is only worth 500 I kinda agree, but to some they just want the joy of owning something that looks nice and functions better than the new crap they build in todays china based market

if you have seen a 40 yr old tractor with ORIGINAL paint chances are it was never used !and does not need to be refinished or restored maybe just freshened up

but 9 of 10 were left outside many many times over many many yrs

I will tell you what ,we can have a contest you paint a steel rim anyway you want(short of dunking it in a bucket of paint)
and I will powder coat an identicle steel wheel and we can kick them across my shop and see who's finish fails 1st.

not to mention when your part is still drying mine could have rubber on it driving down the rd

like I said do a quick google, this debate has been had on almost every forum on the WWW

Edited by thecoater, October 22, 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#23 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:42 AM

:flamewar::wtf:
All right Y'all it time to settle down, I've been watching this thread because it's a topic I'm interested in, but it's becoming a pissing contest instead! I was practacly born a metalworker, and I either have or have access to most things anyone could want as far as a piece of metal goes. I also know know that no matter how long you've been doing a paticualer thing, if you think you think you can't learn anything new, or see another point of view. Well sorry to be blunt but you are done, and have apparently forgot how you became who you are today.
Every tool has it's purpose, and a coating or coating process is in fact another tool we have at our disposal. I'm sure everyone here is familar with the cressent hammer, is it the best tool for the job??? no but it sometimes works, and it's quick and easy. Yes I'm familiar with electroplating, powdercoating, flamespraying, and a few other processes. I personaly have a nice binks spray gun with a siphon can and a pressure pot with a range of tips to spray just about anything fluid short of agregated cement, and I hate rattle cans with a passion...But sometimes they are the right tool for the task at hand, so I use them when needed.
I do hope that I havn't pulled this further off topic, but I feel it was supposed to be about the pros and cons of the available options, not a "my way is better than your way" gripe session. And with that I'll stop, cheers:beerchug:
  • KennyP said thank you

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 06:27 AM

You made some very good points wq.

I use a spray gun when spraying anything more then just a couple small pieces. For example the 1053 I restored I used a spray gun for all of it except for the wheels. I sprayed them with a rattle can.

I can't suggest what paints to use, but I do know I am going to try base coat clear coat automotive paint on my next one for trial and error. I know the paint is expensive but for me I want to try it.

As for powder coating I have had a couple of parts on cars powder coated and it did amaze me at how durable it was, now granted the parts were properly prepped. The one part was a strut tower brace and I dropped a wrench on it a couple times and it never left a mark, paint on the other hand probably would have scratched or chipped.

Will I ever powder coat an entire tractor I can't honestly say, but I would get different pieces powder coated like a sleeve hitch or a mower deck. I also want to try doing the truck bed liner under a mower deck sometime too.

It all boils down to personal preference and budget, everyone is right in their own mind.

#25 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 08:58 AM

"....everyone is right in their own mind."

But some are not in their right mind! (I resemble that remark...LOL)

#26 swiftwind2004 OFFLINE  

swiftwind2004

• Member No: 1421
  • 5 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted October 23, 2010 - 01:55 PM

Im still learning how to restore myself but so far i have set up a sandblast curtin big enough to do frames and whatnot in my garage.and so far i have found that valspar restoration series paint in the rattle can works great for me. but thats just my .02 cents

#27 chris597 OFFLINE  

chris597

• Member No: 3097
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Love Imron, Long term shine too! Lifetime paint

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Since I don't have a compressor large enough for a paint gun (which I have 2), I had to do my Ford with rattle cans. It is not the best paint job but has been primered and at least stopped the rust for now. And it looks a whole lot better.