Back last year, I took a JD 210 in on trade. I thought it was a 212 by the hood decal, and didn't think any different till I went to fire her up to drive to the shop to start the engine rebuild, as it smokes like CRAZY! When I popped the hood to look over things, I seen it had a K241 in it. So I looked at the ID plate on the tractor, and sure enough, a 210 model. Was a good friend I traded with, so I wasn't worried too much about what it was, so didn't look over it close at all. I knew he didn't know much about either, as he got it just a short time before, so we just worked the deal.
Anyway, I got her fired up & into the shop today. Pulled the engine out, then pulled the pan & head so I could see the piston & rings & other innards. Turns out this engine had been rebuilt not long ago, as the rod is like brand new, and the piston looked great also, with the head gasket still shiny bright like never used.... but the rings were worn flat out...especially the oil control ring. I already knew what caused the smoking before I pulled the engine.....the breather tube from block to air filter housing was GONE. So it had been sucking un-filtered air into the engine, and the dust ate the rings down. Bore checked fine, and piston within specs also. But the oil rails were so worn that the expander was touching the bore in a couple places. Got some new .030 rings ordered (been bored recently as well), along with a few other little parts to bring this puppy back to good shape. The drive & deck belts all look not to be very old at all, so someone put some money into it, but dropped the ball with the breather tube not installed. Also has almost brand new Gator blades on it.