• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Back last year, I took a JD 210 in on trade.  I thought it was a 212 by the hood decal, and didn't think any different till I went to fire her up to drive to the shop to start the engine rebuild, as it smokes like CRAZY!  When I popped the hood to look over things, I seen it had a K241 in it.  So I looked at the ID plate on the tractor, and sure enough, a 210 model. Was a good friend I traded with, so I wasn't worried too much about what it was, so didn't look over it close at all.  I knew he didn't know much about either, as he got it just a short time before,  so we just worked the deal.

Anyway, I got her fired up & into the shop today.  Pulled the engine out, then pulled the pan & head so I could see the piston & rings & other innards.  Turns out this engine had been rebuilt not long ago, as the rod is like brand new, and the piston looked great also, with the head gasket still shiny bright like never used.... but the rings were worn flat out...especially the oil control ring.  I already knew what caused the smoking before I pulled the engine.....the breather tube from block to air filter housing was GONE.  So it had been sucking un-filtered air into the engine, and the dust ate the rings down.  Bore checked fine, and piston within specs also.  But the oil rails were so worn that the expander was touching the bore in a couple places.   Got some new .030 rings ordered (been bored recently as well), along with a few other little parts to bring this puppy back to good shape.  The drive & deck belts all look not to be very old at all, so someone put some money into it, but dropped the ball with the breather tube not installed.  Also has almost brand new Gator blades on it.

DSC00640.JPG DSC00641.JPG DSC00639.JPG DSC00638.JPG

• JRJ and SamMC have said thanks

#2 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:10 PM

You got lucky with this one. What are your plans for her?

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:11 PM

AHA! More GREEN comes to light! Shoulda painted it red, Daniel!

Glad it's going to be an easy rebuild!

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman and superaben have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like you will have a "like new" engine on your tractor. Glad all went well for you.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:16 PM

What are your plans for her?

Selling!  I have a few that need to go.  Too much debt needing paid down and no need for some of these tractors.  

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have to say one thing, these 200 series are some of the hardest tractors to work on I've ever dealt with!  Everything is in the way of everything else, and hard to get at!  But still, the engine I did get lucky on.

• Trav1s, WHdbJD and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#7 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wow! That piston looks great! You saved your self a re-build kit. Good luck with her! Ian 

#8 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 07:36 AM

nice trade. its a shame when people rebuild a motor but dont take the time to do it right

#9 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have to say one thing, these 200 series are some of the hardest tractors to work on I've ever dealt with!  Everything is in the way of everything else, and hard to get at!  But still, the engine I did get lucky on.

I agree with that - I spent many hours on an early 210 and a 212 during the 80's and early 90's.  Great machies but a bit of a pain to work on.  I would rather trade convenience for durability any day. :thumbs:

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Got the new rings in the mail, and rings/piston/rod installed back in the engine.  Someone did spend a lot to just leave off the breather tube & eat the rings.  It also has had the crank ground .010 under.  Now with new rings, it will be like a fresh complete rebuild.  But if he had done things right, then I'd not even have it now either.  A lot of things I get cheap is simply because someone screwed it up, or thought the existing problems were way worse than they actually were.  Alright with me though!  :thumbs:   Just gotta put the oil pan back on & she's ready to drop back in the chassis.

• backwoods said thank you

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted April 30, 2013 - 01:44 PM

sounds like ya got yourself a great deal

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 11:36 AM

Working on the deck today.  Needed a patch put in the front, where the leading deck hangers are.  I like to build permanent patches, not just a bandaid.  So it gets metal nearly 1/8" thick.  I formed it to fit the deck contour, so once welded in, the strength is far greater than just a flat patch across the front.  The rest of the deck seems in good shape.  

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted May 04, 2013 - 04:00 PM

When working on the deck reinforcement, I needed to remove the spring loaded deck mount lock pins on the front of the deck.  I wish I had taken the camera, but raining so hard & felt it wise to leave it in the house.  Moisture plays heck with it.  Anyways, instead of roll pins or large cotter pins holding the spring/pin assemblies in place, someone had put in fence post staples, then bent the sharp ends together! 
Here's a rep pic of a fence staple.  They now have large cotter pins.

fence-staple-7.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,572 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Finished milking this morning, then headed to the shop.  The K241 lives again, but with absolutely NO smoke!  :dancingbanana:   Before, she would have cleared mosquitoes for a mile!  She's running great, so time to bolt all the sheet metal back on & shine her up.  Gotta pick up some yeller paint to pretty up the deck too.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 10:34 AM