6 replies to this topic

#1 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:00 PM

Picked up a 1455 couple days ago. $175 is what I paid, and so far I've spent $75 on a battery, coil, and cables. The tractor looks rough, but I'm hoping with some TLC I can be using this tractor as a work horse. I gaurantee nobody else has the paint job on the fenders this thing has...lol...straight out of the 70's. I'm also going to get a sickle bar, plow, and tiller for it from the guy for no additional $, nice guy.  I believe they are all rough though. Anyway, just trying to sort out the wiring because it is all cut and not original. I'm scratching my head with the Solid State Ignition. I've downloaded all the manuals and wiring diagrams I can find, and non of the schematics show where the solid state ignition gets wired into. I did find the Solid State Ignition manual, and it shows it being wired to the coil and the ignition switch, but the full schematic I downloaded does not include the SS Ignition. There is three wires coming out of the SS Ignition out of the motor, and a plug. Where do these wires go? Any help is greatly appreciated on this. Here a few pictures and the schematics that I am looking at. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• SSIgnition.png
  • SSIgPic.png
  • 1455 Schematic.png
  • IMAG2186.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 02:11 PM

The solid state ignition on the tecumsehs is a known problem. You can search here for a thread last fall about ti. Also check http://groups.yahoo....nsTractorsClub/ and http://home.earthlin...ller/index.html  , The replacement parts are nla and can be purchased used but they are pricy. I'd rewire everything properly and test it. Some of our sponsors may have the parts. The other choice is to rig up another system that someone has demonstrated using parts that are available. Good Luck, Rick

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#3 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 02:19 PM

The solid state ignition on the tecumsehs is a known problem. You can search here for a thread last fall about ti. Also check http://groups.yahoo....nsTractorsClub/ and http://home.earthlin...ller/index.html  , The replacement parts are nla and can be purchased used but they are pricy. I'd rewire everything properly and test it. Some of our sponsors may have the parts. The other choice is to rig up another system that someone has demonstrated using parts that are available. Good Luck, Rick

Its a Wisconsin

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 04:22 PM

Its a Wisconsin

Sorry, I thought it was like my H14.

#5 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 04:43 PM

It's all good! Appreciate the effort to help...I should have mentioned it was a Wisconsin S14D.

#6 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Hi, Take a look at the file I have attached and see if it looks like what you have.  This was the second attempt at solid state ignition for Wiscinscin. Watch the wiring because it swaps the + and - on the ignition coil from the older electronic ignition. (older versions have the + side of the coil to the +12volts from the ignition switch and the - side goes to the SS module. This newer version grounds the - side of the ignition coil to ground and the SS module red wire hooks to the + side of the coil. Be careful because the ignition switches are not the same! The older version uses the switch to provide +12 volts to the + side of the coil (coil type ignition). The newer version uses the switch to provide a ground to the SS module to kill the spark (magneto style) and in some cases Bolens dealers added an additional kill switch to provide the ground. I came up with a circuit that allows the use of the original switch with a small relay to provide the ground.ignition_service2.png

#7 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Bud, thank you for that. I'll give it a look and hopefully can get it figured out.