#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:44 AM

I came across a new product yesterday while at a small engine shop. It's called Mechanicinabottle.com . It has two things that I really liked. #1) it has a fuel stabilizer to counteract the etenol in our gas now. #2) it has a solvent in it that lets you clean the carburator in your car, truck, mower, GT, LT, Etc.. It also has a water disapation property and can be used as a fuel satabilizer for your equipment while not in use.

I was a bit skeptical but got to looking at the info in the store and asked the owner if he used it yet and he said he had with great results. It is supposed to restore rubber products inside the gas delivery system as well as clean the carb, valves etc..I was going to buy some but it is $ 69.99 for a gallon, however acording to the web site,  mechanicinabottle.com , the gallon will treat 1280 gallons of gas. This was the first I had seen of it and would really like to try it. I emailed the the company and asked them to send me a sample to try on an old Sears LT that I have with a Briggs 8hp verticle in it that hasn't been started since 1996. We will see what they say.

I haven't seen it sold there yet but Home Depot, & Tractor Supply are supposed to be retailers for it. It does come in smaller bottles but this dealer didn't have the small bottles.

If I get some I will let you know how it works. If it works like it is supposed to it may take a lot of wotk out of getting small engines (and big ones) running and keeping them running easier. Roger.mechanicinabottle.PNG   

• Alc, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:45 AM

I hope they don't mind I borrowed their picture. Itwas just to show their product.

• larryd said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,692 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:05 AM

What I find really interesting is their Ethanol Shield product which claims to stabilize fuel up to 3 years. That's quite the claim.

http://www.b3cfuel.c...ethanol-shield/

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:16 AM

I hope they don't mind I borrowed their picture. Itwas just to show their product.

You just gave them free advertising. I don't think they will mind. I'm a big fan of Marvel Mystery Oil and have been using it for 45 years. I am interested to see how this stuff works. Good Luck, Rick

• larryd said thank you

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Why is this needed? :D

The EPA said bio-fuel, reformulated gasoline and ethanol are all great things and diesel bad :( :wallbanging:

P.S. Not trying to be political, just stating fact that I deal with daily in both personal and business life's.  

• hamman, boyscout862, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:32 AM

A dab of ATF will do the same thing.

Attached Thumbnails

• snake+oil1337635510.jpg

• hamman, LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#7 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:33 AM

we have it at homedepot. idk if it works never tried it. But people say it worked

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:35 AM

I found their claim about stabilization a little strange also. I sent an email but they want me to subscribe to their newsletter and didn't answer my question. I am going to call them today and ask the question in person. John i agree, it was supposed to be the best thing since s......well sliced bread. I have seen what it did to the carbs an our Allis Chalmers WCs and WD. Have to clean and rebuild them after two years. Up here they have " Recreational " fuel with out the blend but it is routinely 15 - 20 cents higher. It does work better but at the cost it is prohibative. I will let you guys know what happens. thanks. Roger.

• larryd said thank you

#9 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hate to sound pessimistic, but the name automatically made me think "snake oil". To be fair I guess "Marvel Mystery oil" does the same thing to some.

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, April 25, 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:51 AM

I thought Seafoam did all that!

#11 SearsYellow ONLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:03 AM

It doesn't work that great with 2 cycle engines. A local lawnmower shop tested it on a weedeater. A guy had let weedeater sit all winter with gas in the carb. The mechanic figured he would put the MIAB to the test. He poured all the bad gas out and mixed the MIAB with gas and replaced. He let it sit for 2 day and tried to crank it... No luck. He let it set up for a week and it never per say 'fixed' the weedeater. The weedeater actually would start after a week but the carb still had to be pulled and cleaned due to running poorly.
  • hamman, Cat385B and larryd have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:17 AM

I use high test now in my power equipment as our low and mid grade fuels have up to 10% ethanol. I think if you use these products on an ongoing basis thay work better than trying to treat an already gummed up carb. That's a pretty tough job for any chemical treatment.

• hamman, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I don't see how it is going to recondition rubber components with a strong solvent in the mix.  I have used seafoam in some engines that would just barely crank or run rough.  The main thing is you have to get the treated gas into the carburetor and all of it's passages for it to do good.  After running a while and then letting it sit for a day or two the engine would run pretty well, but I think if the carburetor is pretty far gone there is nothing that will help except taking it apart and a good cleaning and possibly a rebuild.

Roger I will be interested to see your results, hope they send you a sample but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• hamman, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:49 AM

I am highly skeptical of these "magic" solutions.  If Seafoam doesn't do it, then take the parts down & clean it.  You cannot renew rubber components.  You can however swell it to make the rubber seal better, but it only slightly extends any life in the rubber.

#15 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:58 AM

The so called Miracle Fixes are certainly nothing new. And I normally look at them with a critical eye. They may work but I found a few that have always worked for me and don't bite on the new ones. I use MMO, my son has used Sea Foam in his outboards and is very pleased.

I do put PowerService in my diesel.especially in winter.

The Ethanol thing has not been a big issue with me. That may be because it has been pretty much all that has been available in Iowa since the gas shortage in the 70's (and we learned how to cope). My Gt's go through enough fuel that it does not sit long enough to get skunky.

Back in the 70's, When the ethhanol was introduced, we went through a lot of fuel filters for a month or so till the ethanol cleaned out the system. Then never had a problem.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 25, 2013 - 09:00 AM.

• hamman, JDBrian and larryd have said thanks