Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:00 AM

Hi All--

I haven't visited the forum too much in the last few months... I was tasked as the Project Manager to build some of the components for an alternative energy system being installed on the military base where I work. The overall project is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.  My part is very small compared to the whole project, but it has kept me busy!!

It's been one of the most challenging years of my life... I've lost hair and gained weight, but I survived. Here's a link to the company, and an article in Forbes magazine about the item.

www.infinia.com

http://www.forbes.co...power-heat-ray/

We're building some of the structural components and some machined parts.  The devices are finally going up--yay!!!!

Anyway, mom has my Sears GT18 while I figure out why hers won't stay running (Onan 18 hp flat twin), so I've been using my White 1650 to prepare gardens.

The tiller has worked fine, but I ran into problems when I tried to install a 3 pt plow off the Sears GTs--

First off my link was too long, so I had to make another... that required that I build a new attachment point for the top of the Sears plow... Finally go that done, and it still don't work right.  The length of the link is adjustable, which allows me to adjust the angle of the plow, but it still won't "dig in" more than 2 or 3 inches... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did learn some useful things, however.  One is an easier way to add liquid ballast to my tires than that I wrote about in my article. 

I bought a used pump sprayer from a thrift shop, but the pickup up tube was so thin it took forever to get any fluid through it.  It also didn't have a valve, so it couldn't pressurize it.

Instead, I just put a piece of 5/16" vinyl hose over the valve stem and the other end in the sprayer. I filled the sprayer with a 50/50 solution of RV antifreeze and water.  Later I figured out I achieve the same effect just by putting the hose right into the jug of antifreeze, and alternate it with jugs of water. 

To get the water going in, I kneeled against the top of the deflated tire, which expelled quite a bit of air. I made sure the hose was in the bottom of the bottle, then stood up, which caused a vacuum as the tire returned to it's normal shape--this drew quite a bit of solution into the tire--up to half a gallon at a time.  It took me about 45 minutes to fill both front tires (2 gallons each).  The rear tires, being 9.50 x 15s hold a LOT more fluid... I put 5 gallons in each and still haven't got them full... I'll have to get more antifreeze then I'll try again.

LIQUID BALLAST 2 RESIZED.jpg

Anyway, this method didn't take near the effort I spend putting the solution into a quart plastic bottle and squeezing it into the tire.  I also didn't have to remove the tire from the tractor--just made sure the valve stem was at the top.

LIQUID BALLAST 1 RESIZED.jpg

Putting in the red anti-freeze resembles giving an intravaneous to the tractor...

Haven't tried it yet, but I have to plow a neighbor's garden this week so I'll let you know.

BTW, I started a blog a month ago or so... I talk about things mechanical, throw some jokes in and discuss politics, which is basically a joke anyway.  I recently posted some pictures I took in a small Utah town of some antique tractors, including a Sears SS16.  You may find it interesting...

I've put a link to this site on it... if it's permitted by the moderators, here's the link to my blog:

www.Smittysez.blogspot.com

I hope everyone is hale and hearty, and looking forward to some seat time this spring and summer.

Regards,

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, April 25, 2013 - 10:14 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:10 AM

Utah, Glad to see you back. I had been wondering what you were up to. You figured out a good way to fluid fill your tires, way to go ! :thumbs:

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 01:41 AM

Utah, Glad to see you back. I had been wondering what you were up to. You figured out a good way to fluid fill your tires, way to go ! :thumbs:

Oh, I've lurked a few times, but I didn't have a whole lot going as winter weather pretty much stopped any working on tractors.  Now it's spring, and the neighbors are slowing realizing I have A GARDEN TRACTOR!!  In addition to my own 2 gardens, I have put in one for my daughter, and have to do one for a neighbor this weekend... I don't mind normally, but I do get busy and don't get to all the other things I want to do.

BTW, check out my blog's latest post.  There's some interesting machines there, including an unusual John Deere.

Regards,

Smitty

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Welcome back Smitty. Congrats on the project manager position for the Infinia project. That is an excellent example of bringing an older innovation (Stirling engine) into a modern green energy application. I hope it is a success for them.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Welcome back, Smitty! Missed your smiling face around here! Glad you got some fluid in those tires.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:14 AM

US, glad to see you found your way back. If you could take a few pics, it would help us on the setup on that plow... Almost sounds like a little l-r adjustment is needed.

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Nice to see you back.  Like your blog.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,720 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:34 AM

US, glad to see you found your way back. If you could take a few pics, it would help us on the setup on that plow... Almost sounds like a little l-r adjustment is needed.

Alan, you may be on to something there. Way back when I first tried the Brinly plow with the Ford, it wouldn't dig in. It wasn't until our Plow Day here that I found out the hitch adapter on the plow was on upside down. This was causing the heel to be too low and not letting the toe dig in. May be a similar situation on the 3-point. I see that on most 3-point plows (non Sears) the lower link pins are set at different levels. I'm thinking the RH lower link bar should be set higher than the LH to twist the plow some to dig in. I hope this is correct!

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Welcome back Smitty,  that is a neat trick to put fluid in the tire's.  I do something similar putting dynabeads in my MC tire.  

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Glad to hear from you Smitty.  The lack of time is hitting a lot of us, me included.  Rained yesterday, so today won't be too hectic for me.

#11 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:07 AM

Welcome back Smitty. Congrats on the project manager position for the Infinia project. That is an excellent example of bringing an older innovation (Stirling engine) into a modern green energy application. I hope it is a success for them.

I'm not the manager for the whole project--that's being managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. I just manage the fabrication and machining of some of the components the depot built--foundation posts, center posts, and a couple small machined items... it's still ongoing, but much of the pressure is off now that we're actually producing things and their being installed on site.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'll take a few pics.  The "studs" for the plow are not even... I suspect so they can help the plow dig in and also work properly when one set of wheels is in the furrow.

Adjusting the arms on the White is kind of cumbersome--it has hydraulic lift and two horizontal rods with clevises that go to the back of the tractor.  To adjust either arm height, you have to pull the pin on the clevis, turn it in or out, and reinstall it.

Smitty

• MH81 said thank you

#13 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,518 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:33 AM

Nice to hear from you again.  :D 

#14 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Love the blog. I am reading through it now.

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 12:37 AM

Love the blog. I am reading through it now.

Thanks so much!!  My kids put me up to it, although I've wanted a venue to use to develop my writing skills.  The "Old Iron" post has been the most popular of all to date... I have some more pics of other tractors and equipment... just need to take a minute to post them.

Regards,

Smitty