I haven't visited the forum too much in the last few months... I was tasked as the Project Manager to build some of the components for an alternative energy system being installed on the military base where I work. The overall project is managed by the Army Corps of Engineers. My part is very small compared to the whole project, but it has kept me busy!!
It's been one of the most challenging years of my life... I've lost hair and gained weight, but I survived. Here's a link to the company, and an article in Forbes magazine about the item.
We're building some of the structural components and some machined parts. The devices are finally going up--yay!!!!
Anyway, mom has my Sears GT18 while I figure out why hers won't stay running (Onan 18 hp flat twin), so I've been using my White 1650 to prepare gardens.
The tiller has worked fine, but I ran into problems when I tried to install a 3 pt plow off the Sears GTs--
First off my link was too long, so I had to make another... that required that I build a new attachment point for the top of the Sears plow... Finally go that done, and it still don't work right. The length of the link is adjustable, which allows me to adjust the angle of the plow, but it still won't "dig in" more than 2 or 3 inches... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I did learn some useful things, however. One is an easier way to add liquid ballast to my tires than that I wrote about in my article.
I bought a used pump sprayer from a thrift shop, but the pickup up tube was so thin it took forever to get any fluid through it. It also didn't have a valve, so it couldn't pressurize it.
Instead, I just put a piece of 5/16" vinyl hose over the valve stem and the other end in the sprayer. I filled the sprayer with a 50/50 solution of RV antifreeze and water. Later I figured out I achieve the same effect just by putting the hose right into the jug of antifreeze, and alternate it with jugs of water.
To get the water going in, I kneeled against the top of the deflated tire, which expelled quite a bit of air. I made sure the hose was in the bottom of the bottle, then stood up, which caused a vacuum as the tire returned to it's normal shape--this drew quite a bit of solution into the tire--up to half a gallon at a time. It took me about 45 minutes to fill both front tires (2 gallons each). The rear tires, being 9.50 x 15s hold a LOT more fluid... I put 5 gallons in each and still haven't got them full... I'll have to get more antifreeze then I'll try again.
Anyway, this method didn't take near the effort I spend putting the solution into a quart plastic bottle and squeezing it into the tire. I also didn't have to remove the tire from the tractor--just made sure the valve stem was at the top.
Putting in the red anti-freeze resembles giving an intravaneous to the tractor...
Haven't tried it yet, but I have to plow a neighbor's garden this week so I'll let you know.
BTW, I started a blog a month ago or so... I talk about things mechanical, throw some jokes in and discuss politics, which is basically a joke anyway. I recently posted some pictures I took in a small Utah town of some antique tractors, including a Sears SS16. You may find it interesting...
I've put a link to this site on it... if it's permitted by the moderators, here's the link to my blog:
I hope everyone is hale and hearty, and looking forward to some seat time this spring and summer.
Edited by Utah Smitty, April 25, 2013 - 10:14 AM.