11 replies to this topic

#1 thefox48 OFFLINE  

thefox48

• Member No: 7455
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hi All

Just looking for some info from anyone who has run into this problem before.

I have a gx670 Honda engine in a 318 John Deere as a conversion. This was done about 5 years ago. This problem happened about 2 years ago when it started running on one cylinder and acting lean. New plugs and good spark. Pulled the carb apart and found some dirt in one of the main jets for the right bank. Cleaned and all went well. This happened again the other day so I pulled the carb apart cleaned it good but this time it acts the same way. The carb looks spotless and Needle valve and float seem good and set correct. I have never run into this before, ordered a rebuild kit and replacement idle screws. The carb is a Keihin BK01a/sj13 2 barrel carb.

The engine makes an attempt to run with the choke about 3/4  on but wants to back fire a little.

Any input would sure help!!!

Thanks
The Fox

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone can help you out. I know nothing about these engines! Give them a little time.

• thefox48 said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:35 PM

I don't know anything about this particular issue, but if cleaning worked last time, I would clean it again.  I would pay particular attention to any small passages and make sure to blow cleaner and/or compressed air through them.  If you aren't running some sort of treatment such as Stabil or Seafoam or something else to protect you against ethanol you are going to have carb issues.  Same thing about some sort of fuel filter in the fuel line, it could help protect against crud getting into the carb.

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Did you check for spark?

Both spark plugs are good and firing?

#5 thefox48 OFFLINE  

thefox48

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Both plugs are new and when you check it they are both firing.

I am beginning to think that it could have a sticking valve. It has been sitting all winter and I will run a compression check to see if it is holding compression. I may have gotten tunnel vision with this carb issue seeing how that was what was the problem with it last time. Lord knows I can't get the carb any cleaner than it is!!

Thanks

The fox

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:38 AM

I can tell you that your going to have to change the coil. I had a Honda in my MF 1655 and it did the same thing.It drove me nuts I did all that you did.It took me better then a year to figure it out,it finally quit firing on the one side so I had no choice but to change the coil.Once I did that it ran good for another six months then started acting up and I had to change the other coil and it ran fine after that.For some reason the coils seem to fail on the Honda motors. I was just talking the other day to my neighbour who sells lots of stuff that they install Honda engines in, eg.[ grain augers] and he was telling me that for some reason the coils are failing in lot of them.So change your coil and it'll run fine. Believe me thats what it is. Larry 

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Onan coils will do the same thing.....quit hitting, but shut it off & check for spark & it looks good & hot.  Run a few minutes, and dead on one side again.

#8 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have a 16.5  v-series honda on my sears craftsman. It surges and spitters and sputters- but put it on a load and it will run all day. The carb has been an issue for me. I have to clean it several times a year (I keep a good air and fuel filter so not sure why).....

But it is now about 6 years old, maybe the coils are part of my issue too......will have to check it out. Hope you get it figured out...let us know when you do!

Welcome to the forum!

#9 thefox48 OFFLINE  

thefox48

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Thanks  for the input.

Will work on it this weekend and try to find a coil and replace it. This has been a real pain. Makes me love my old Clintons and Briggs engines all the more!! Something simple and lasts forever.

Thanks

Larry

#10 thefox48 OFFLINE  

thefox48

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 20, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Hi all

Well still working on this honda headache. Replaced the coils and rebuilt the carb with a new kit. The engine starts hard but will run above about 2000 rpms and sounds alright. When you slow down on the rpms it acts like it is hitting on one cylinder.

Sprayed carb cleaner all around all of the flanges for vacuum leaks and found nothing. Valve clearence is fine.

The governor will hunt up and down no matter what speed you are at. The idle needles have been replaced with new ones but have no effect on the engine what so ever, screwed in or out. 

I have never run into anything like this. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Will keep looking

Larry

#11 thefox48 OFFLINE  

thefox48

• 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Well the Honda is back up and running. I replaced the coils and swapped out the carb with another one off of a good running engine. The engine fires up and runs the way it should until you run it for a while mowing. Shut it down and you can't get it to start until it cools down. This only happens when it is hot.

It will crank and act like it is starving for gas but will backfire through the carb and even try to run backwards. Let it cool down and it runs o.k. Just wondering if it could have valve sticking issues when it is hot. Maybe hanging open until the temp drops and lets the clearence change.

Larry

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Timing ???