7 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:04 PM

I was at my local scrapyard a couple of days ago & stumbled onto a nice looking 3hp Briggs (080302 1516 01).  It was missing a couple of parts so I walked away.  I got a couple of feet & spotted a second identical engine with the missing parts.  I took them both home for $9.

DSCN3142.JPG DSCN3143.JPG

Anyway, one has good compression (90ish dry) but a major oil leak where the PO stripped out, then attempted to oversize, the lower pull start housing bolts.  Of course, there is a dimple in the casing on the inside so the oil leaks now leaks.

DSCN3134.JPG

How do I fix this? Is this a braze & pray type repair?  How do I get it clean (oil free) enough to braze properly? Is the case made of aluminum?

I was thinking JBWeld, but if it lets go, things may not work out well with a lump floating around. 

The other engine has lower compression (65ish dry, 80ish wet) but holds oil, so I've robbed the first engine for the parts to get it running.  I'm going to run some Seafoam in the oil and the gas to see if the compression comes back.

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:13 PM

The only Correct way to fix it would be tig weld it ... (i can do that ) the other thing is that you could use Blue or red loc tight on the bolts but you need to get the kind Made for oil (it will seal around the bolt  ..Jb weld works great but does not like oil ..

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and larryd have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:19 PM

I remember seeing a type of rod that allows you to solder alluminum. Can't vouch for how good it works but you wouldn't need a lot of strength there just a seal. As far as cleaning goes a good solvent like acetone will remove all the oil. 

#4 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:23 PM

I remember seeing a type of rod that allows you to solder alluminum. Can't vouch for how good it works but you wouldn't need a lot of strength there just a seal. As far as cleaning goes a good solvent like acetone will remove all the oil.

Liquid aluminum. I never tried it. But, I'd like to. It's on the web.

Joe

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:24 PM

http://www.canadiant...k.jsp?locale=en

• JDBrian, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Arti and 1 other said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for that link 8tyman8! The next time I'm in CTC I'm going to pick up some of those to have on hand.

#7 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:19 PM

You can clean it with brake cleaner. Tap it out one size bigger, put a dab of rtv on the bolt and let it sit overnight.

• larryd said thank you

#8 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Okay, looks like I'm going to be trying something new.  I've never brazed before.  I do have all the stuff (except the rods).  

Couple of question comes to mind right away: How do I keep the melted brazing rod from just running out the hole?  Will a stainless steel bolt work (without getting brazed in permanently)?

• larryd said thank you