#17 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:21 AM

:welcometogttalk: Nice 1st Gt you picked up, learn all ya can about it and run at least another 50yrs no problem. Looks  to have been cared for. Congrats!

#18 Lynn225 OFFLINE  

Lynn225
  • Member No: 34082
  • 23 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm a long-time Jeep guy, so I know how the addiction works... at one time I had seven Jeeps. I'm down to one now, my 2005 Unlimited, daily driver and occasional moderate offroader. I had a CJ5 I built and modified over a 16 year period.

So I'll limit myself to one GT. OK, maybe eventually two :D

I didn't have much time last night to look for serial numbers. I had to pull the pin and freewheel it into a sideways spot in the garage so I could get both cars in before the storms arrived. As it was I couldn't open the hood after I moved it. I looked on the tubes and plate in front of the seat, couldn't find any numbers. I'll look again next week as I have other commitments this weekend.

I was pleased to find the freewheel pin and understand how it works. I also found that the left side locking hub turns freely, both good signs :thumbs:

I'll appreciate any advice on what to look for related to the difficulty finding r/1 gears. Shifter seems sloppy and I have to "hunt" for the gears. Is it likely external linkage worn, as in bushings, etc, or is it more likely internal?

Oh BTW, if anyone is up for a Bolens, the guy I bought the 800 from has a 1050, a 12 something, and a Cub Cadet, all nicer than my 800 and priced in the $600 - $800 range. Location is York, PA. Let me know and I'll hook you up :wave:

Edited by Lynn225, April 25, 2013 - 06:42 AM.

#19 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Danged nice looking 800 you have there!

It might not be 100% correct, but at least it wasn't painted in something that is close to the proper colors, and not something hideous like John Deere colors.