Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Guy, First Tractor: Husky 800

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  OldBuzzard 
#1 ·
Last night on my way home I stumbled across a Bolens 800 for sale, ~200 yards from my back fence :)

After talking to the guy for about half an hour, I drove home my new '67 model 800.

No mower deck or attachments. Tires have good tread and hold air but are heavily cracked.

It cost me $150.

It starts easily, burns clean. Some difficulty with the shifter, need to hunt for 1st and reverse.

I've never owned a tractor before. This will be great at our cabin, it will be used to haul dirt/stones/mulch/brush in a dump cart, and move my Jeep trailer around. Maybe eventually get a plow, weights and chains for some winter duty.

I'll post some pics after my posting restriction is lifted.

#3 ·
Welcome to GTtalk! Very nice looking 800 and can't complain about the price either.

I think its older than 67 more like 64 maybe? not forsure. Thanks for the pics!

#11 ·
Welcome to the forum! That is a nice looking 800! The folks here can help you learn more about it!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm a long-time Jeep guy, so I know how the addiction works... at one time I had seven Jeeps. I'm down to one now, my 2005 Unlimited, daily driver and occasional moderate offroader. I had a CJ5 I built and modified over a 16 year period.

So I'll limit myself to one GT. OK, maybe eventually two :D

I didn't have much time last night to look for serial numbers. I had to pull the pin and freewheel it into a sideways spot in the garage so I could get both cars in before the storms arrived. As it was I couldn't open the hood after I moved it. I looked on the tubes and plate in front of the seat, couldn't find any numbers. I'll look again next week as I have other commitments this weekend.

I was pleased to find the freewheel pin and understand how it works. I also found that the left side locking hub turns freely, both good signs :thumbs:

I'll appreciate any advice on what to look for related to the difficulty finding r/1 gears. Shifter seems sloppy and I have to "hunt" for the gears. Is it likely external linkage worn, as in bushings, etc, or is it more likely internal?

Oh BTW, if anyone is up for a Bolens, the guy I bought the 800 from has a 1050, a 12 something, and a Cub Cadet, all nicer than my 800 and priced in the $600 - $800 range. Location is York, PA. Let me know and I'll hook you up :wave:

#19 ·
Danged nice looking 800 you have there!

It might not be 100% correct, but at least it wasn't painted in something that is close to the proper colors, and not something hideous like John Deere colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.