• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 koko381 OFFLINE  

koko381
  • Member No: 33999
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 01:51 PM

After searching my area for the right deal I just purchased a 1964 John Deere 110, serial number 7,xxx. It is in pretty good condition, no rust, it runs very well, and everything seems to operate well. Although I was told by the previous owner, who bought it new, that no parts were missing from the tractor, after further investigation I found that not to be true. There is a pulley missing which I found is the secondary idler pulley. I was wondering if that is necessary and how it would affect how the tractor operates? Because after driving the tractor I found no problems with it and everything functions properly, including the variator.

I also was windering what the mower deck clearance is at the highest setting. Because I am unable to drive over a 3" cobblestone to get to my lawn from my driveway, without putting a plank in between. The manual lift does move the deck up and down, but only about 2" of travel. Is this how it should be?
My third question(so far), is about the turning radius. What should it be and is it normal that the left and right turns are different? Thank you very much for any information that anyone could help me with.
And asside from the secondary Idler Pulley, I've also found that the two PTO covers(guards) are missing, the break/clutch pedal has been fabricated, my shifter plate is missing, and there is a hole in the top right of the dash that I cannot find what should be there. Possibly the gen power indicator?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:04 PM

Welcome and a great find!

RF lover here but my experience is with the later machines.  I can do my best to answer your questions and I know some others will chime in along the way.

There is a pulley missing which I found is the secondary idler pulley. I was wondering if that is necessary and how it would affect how the tractor operates? Because after driving the tractor I found no problems with it and everything functions properly, including the variator.

There are three different versions of the variator assemblies used on the RF tractors with serial numbers used to determine the break.  Where did you look to determine the part in question is missing?  If functionality is not compromised that I am hesitant to say pieces are missing based on my understanding of that assembly.  

I also was windering what the mower deck clearance is at the highest setting. Because I am unable to drive over a 3" cobblestone to get to my lawn from my driveway, without putting a plank in between. The manual lift does move the deck up and down, but only about 2" of travel. Is this how it should be?

First off - The RF tractors were not intended to mow with the deck wheels on the ground.  If they are on the ground with the deck down you risk scalping.  The weight of the deck should rest on the lift straps and the wheels prevent scalping.  As for hight at full lift, I don't have a definite for you nor do I recall seeing in the tractor service manual.  

My third question(so far), is about the turning radius. What should it be and is it normal that the left and right turns are different?

Yes, that is normal and that is related to the potential for contact between the front wheel and the snow blower if a snow blower is installed.  I noticed that on the '66 110 that I owned.  

One last suggestion - Purchase a Factory Service Manual from here --> http://www.davenport...den-sm2101.aspx or pick one up on eBay.  It will make your life much easier.

Travis

• John@Reliable, HDWildBill and koko381 have said thanks

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to GTt koko,

All of the above is great advise from Travis :thumbs:

#4 koko381 OFFLINE  

koko381
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Your answers and suggestions are greatly appreciated. The reason I believe that there is a pulley missing is because I saw a dangling bolt in the engine bay, not attached to anything. As you can see from two of the pictures I attached, it is to the left of the main drive pulley and just to the right of the variator. It is hard to photograph, but if you look at my 4th photo, it is right in the middle of the photo. All you see is a bolt with a spacer, washer, and 2 nuts on it not attached to anything.
In regards to the mower deck, I do not have the deck engaged or in the lower position when I was driving over the cobblestone. The deck was in its highest setting, but still did not clear it.

Welcome and a great find!

RF lover here but my experience is with the later machines.  I can do my best to answer your questions and I know some others will chime in along the way.

There are three different versions of the variator assemblies used on the RF tractors with serial numbers used to determine the break.  Where did you look to determine the part in question is missing?  If functionality is not compromised that I am hesitant to say pieces are missing based on my understanding of that assembly.  

First off - The RF tractors were not intended to mow with the deck wheels on the ground.  If they are on the ground with the deck down you risk scalping.  The weight of the deck should rest on the lift straps and the wheels prevent scalping.  As for hight at full lift, I don't have a definite for you nor do I recall seeing in the tractor service manual.  

Yes, that is normal and that is related to the potential for contact between the front wheel and the snow blower if a snow blower is installed.  I noticed that on the '66 110 that I owned.  

One last suggestion - Purchase a Factory Service Manual from here --> http://www.davenport...den-sm2101.aspx or pick one up on eBay.  It will make your life much easier.

Travis

#5 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I see it in the pics.  Thanks for the clarification.   Check out the diagram from the service manual that I attached. I don't believe there is a pulley missing based on my experience replacing belts and the service manual.  I wonder if the incorrect bolt is installed or the bolt is incorrectly installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Trav1s, April 24, 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:52 PM

JDParts info shows no pulley in that place either.

Attached Thumbnails

• MP304__________UN02JAN94.gif
  • MP303__________UN02JAN94.gif

Edited by Trav1s, April 24, 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:55 PM

koko381,

The bolt you are talking about, is actually for a wooden variator brake shoe. The early three speed transmissions (all 1963 110's and very early 1964 110's) had a cast transmission drive pulley, and weren't great for stopping on a dime. So John Deere added a wooden wedge to the bracket you are showing in your pictures. When you pressed down on the brake pedal, the variator pulley runs up against the wooden wedge, which would be forced between the sheaves on the variator pulley, thus helping to get stopped. Your tractor however, should have the pressed steel transmission drive pulley, and you shouldn't need the wooden brake shoe. This wooden brake shoe is no longer available through Deere, but I can give you a guys email address who is reproducing them, and charges $25.00 each for them, if you feel that you need or want one.

As for turning radius, yes the tractor is designed to turn to the left more than it will to the right. The reason being due to hitting the PTO intermediate drive pulley. You'll find on the right hand side of your front axle a bolt with a jam nut. This can be adjusted for more turning radius to the right if so desired. Just be careful not to over adjust the radius, as the intermediate drive pulley will cut into your tire.

As for pieces missing, it appears that you are missing the main engine drive guard that would cover the engine pulley and variator and drive belt. The PTO guard is missing, and as for the shifter cover, your tractor doesn't require one, due to being a three speed transmission. Only the four speed transmissions had the plastic shifter covers.

The hole in your dash, just above the throttle lever, is for a generator charging indicator lamp. Can easily be found on ebay.

The mower deck clearance can be adjusted by both, adjusting the mower deck hangers underneath the tractor frame, and also be adjusting the clevises that hold the front of the mower deck to the front draft plate. Adjusting both of these locations will give you the added clearance needed.

Nice score on the tractor, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of pleasure out of it. Enjoy :thumbs:

Edited by johndeereelfman, April 24, 2013 - 04:59 PM.

• koko381 said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Welcome to GTtalk KoKo.  We have some knowledgeable folks on the JD tractors so I'm sure they will be able to help you out.

One note to add to Troy's post is when you make any adjustments to the mower deck make sure you do it the same amount of adjustment to both sides and check to make sure your deck is level.

• koko381 said thank you

#9 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 05:37 PM

I have an early '64 with no hole for the generator light.  I was under the impression that they did not come with one that year.  Could be a replacement dash or a customer drilled hole.

• johndeereelfman and koko381 have said thanks

#10 koko381 OFFLINE  

koko381
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Wow, thank you all for the great responses. JDElfman, that was impressive. Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. And I have already gotten a great deal of pleasure from this tractor. Im sure that will continue for many more years to come.
In regards to the mower deck adjustments, will raising at those two locations also raise the current mowing height(lowest setting) or it will only change the high end of the adjustment range?
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm not sure about the 110 but experience has taught me anytime I mess with any adjustments to the deck I check to make sure that deck is level.  I have picked up 2 customers because someone messed with the deck's on their mowers and when they went to cut their respective lawns, you guessed it one side was lower then the other.

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:36 PM

I have an early '64 with no hole for the generator light.  I was under the impression that they did not come with one that year.  Could be a replacement dash or a customer drilled hole.

jdslednut,

You are correct, the '64's did not have a generator light. My apologies, as I messed up on that one big time.

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:56 PM

In regards to the mower deck adjustments, will raising at those two locations also raise the current mowing height(lowest setting) or it will only change the high end of the adjustment range?

Adjustment at these points will help you level the deck, to increase lifting height, and to set mower deck while in the lowered position. The actual deck hangers control the back of the deck, while the front draft plate adjustment control the front of the deck. As for changing the lowest setting height, you can lower the deck height by raising the deck wheels, as they are drilled at half inch increments, and adjusting the deck hanger clevis under the tractor frame, by lengthening it. There is only one adjustable hanger, and the more you lengthen this clevis, the less clearance you will have between the bottom of the mower deck and the ground, while in the raised position, so keep that in mind while making your adjustments.

• koko381 said thank you

#14 koko381 OFFLINE  

koko381
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks again guys.  Does anyone have the mower deck manual or a parts diagram of it?  I purchased the service manual for the tractor, but I guess there must be a separate one for the mower deck because there is no info on it. 

#15 koko381 OFFLINE  

koko381
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:23 PM

Any files that cannot be posted on the site, can be emailed to me at  cretamk at hot mail dot com . 

Thanks Again.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, April 25, 2013 - 12:56 AM.
hid e-mail from BOTS !!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you