#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:34 AM

Ok, little background first. Some of you on MTF may remember this one, I bought a MF1855 last fall. Short story, replied to CL ad, guy called me back even though I was about #10 email. I got lucky, he recgonised my name, he went to school with a cousin, my other cousin installed his septic tank years back so he chose me, YEEAA!!!! Anyway, made "good" deal for a 1977 MF1855 running tractor with 54" MMM, not working to known bad PTO switch, 3 pt and a 5' rear blade. Overall good shape, really dirty, known bad switch, hydros all worked, and had rpm surge, nothing too bad at the time. Picked it up on July 26 for $400.

photobucket-39026-1343736794042.jpg

On third time starting at home, starter kicked out, just whhrrrrrrr....crap, now what. Checked, starter was falling out. Well for any Onan owners, you know the drill.....motor has to come out. So pulled motor in Sept, find then belts are shot, front driveshaft carrier bearing- shot. Driveshaft Ujoint-locked up which required new ujoints welded on since NLA. Got that done at new years. Going over tractor, find every safety switch is bypassed, hydro fittings leaking, not sure if deck or PTO even works, wiring hacked up, mounting bolts missing, etc. Tried the rear PTO when I got it, never engaged, then looking over parts diagram I realised problem.....PTO drivehaft off motor is missing. So, my great deal is becoming a headache.

So fast forward to last night, motor needed major cleaning and I have to remove tins to get to starter so cleanup began.

photobucket-18866-1366763759307_zpsa8c74

Motor not filthy at all!! no way :wallbanging:  ......Silty oily grime all over everything. The PO said he used it just to grade drive, must've used to clean out horse stalls too from the biscuits I found on top of deck.

The full dust pan is just from scrappings off motor.

photobucket-8989-1366763783518_zps334877

photobucket-15348-1366763832685_zps15c0e

So, anyone see a problem with this pic? First person to guess gets...well, nothing HAHA

Okay, times up, see the one shorter bolt? The upper starter bolt is broke off in block. Of course, it's the one behind the flywheel. 

Oh, notice the little block lying there. Took me a minute, but that is what the PO was using somehow to keep starter tight. It fell out when I removed starter.

photobucket-8822-1366763864516_zps654462

So.....how do I get this flywheel off without breaking something?

photobucket-18755-1366763888842_zpsd010b

Also, maybe question for Massey/snapper guys. I have to remove front PTO setup to replace from crank seal, any good tips for removing this puppy?

photobucket-18687-1366763805793_zps0b9e5

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:57 AM

Well, you have got a big job ahead of you but consider that you only paid 400 for it. I've seen them go for 3 times that at a minimum up here. Just keep addressing the issues one at a time and when you're done you will have a tractor that would cost close to 5 figures to replace with a new one. I have been there with 2 JD's a 314 and now a 317. You just have to keep plugging away at it til you get it done.

• TAHOE said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 10:12 AM

On the flywheel, use a chickenfoot puller, or hub puller to 2 opposite bolts.  Of course remove the flywheel retaining bolt first.    Tighten the puller (Making sure your puller has an end fitting that is large enough not to attempt going into the crankshaft bolt hole).  I Like to use a light duty 3/8" air impact wrench to tighten it up, but a wrench/socket will do.   Once good & tight, say 60 foot pounds, take a hammer & hit the puller center shaft squarely on the end.  Usually one good whack does the trick.  If the 1st doesn't do it, tighten the puller a bit more & try again. You will think you broke something when it pops loose, and the flywheel can come bounding off, so be prepared.  

The clutch is pretty easy.  Once you remove the center retaining bolt, usually they slid off easy enough.  You might need help of a jaw puller if she's snug.  It will come off in sections, so don't expect the entire unit to come off in one piece.  Just make note of how it comes off, and putting it back will be a breeze.

• JDBrian, TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 10:29 AM

I have had the flywheel off of a Case 446 onan a couple of times, it is not a big deal.  Those four bolts that are on the flywheel,  take 2 of them out and bolt on a flywheel puller and pull it off....use some wd-40 or something on the center shaft to ease pulling it off. p.s. don't forget to take the big nut off first.....

That is an interesting looking pto on the back of the motor. Ajohn deere onan has a flange with the pto on it that bolts to the motor.  There might/should be a set screw on that pully somewhere that holds it on, might have to use a pully puller on it.  I would try to find a mechanical drawing of it somewhere before I attempted to take it off.  There should be a service manual for that tractor and or motor somewhere for it.

there might be a picture you need here...

http://gardentractor...855-parts-book/

Edited by James henry, April 24, 2013 - 10:36 AM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Brain- I know I got a pretty good deal on it initially. I'm about 700 into now though with new drivesahft, bearings, belts, etc, and I will need carb kit and some gaskets.  I've seen what this tractor can do from some other members, I know it's a keeper. Just got frustrating last summer when starter when out then finding all issues when I pulled motor. Seems I keep finding more the deeper I get.

Daniel, thanks. I figured you would know how that clutch came off. I'm removed some flywheels from my sears and that initial pop can be frightening.... "oh poop, what did I just break" :D  I was thining I could use a puller off 2 of those center bolts, just wanted to make sure.

James, that PTO is actually on the front of the motor or should I say, it sits in the front of the tractor. It was used in the Snapper/Masseys 1650/1655/1855 tractors to run the mower deck and front PTO powered implements. Not even sure if mine works since PO had everything disconnected. He told me switch went bad, with everything else I'm finding, I'm betting the clutch is bad or spindles in deck are locked up.

My plan is some type of Bufort bucket/ FEL for this tractor so other than maybe adding extra hydraulic pump on the front, the pto and deck will probably never be used.

Thanks for link, I have 4 different copies of owner's manuals, figured some experts out here had some tips!!! :thumbs:

Oh, another question...does this thing have two fuel pumps? There is what looks like one mounted opposite carb, then one mounted on flywheel tin....which was bypassed by the way, go figure :deadhorse:

• JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Brain- I know I got a pretty good deal on it initially. I'm about 700 into now though with new drivesahft, bearings, belts, etc, and I will need carb kit and some gaskets.  I've seen what this tractor can do from some other members, I know it's a keeper. Just got frustrating last summer when starter when out then finding all issues when I pulled motor. Seems I keep finding more the deeper I get.

Daniel, thanks. I figured you would know how that clutch came off. I'm removed some flywheels from my sears and that initial pop can be frightening.... "oh poop, what did I just break" :D  I was thining I could use a puller off 2 of those center bolts, just wanted to make sure.

James, that PTO is actually on the front of the motor or should I say, it sits in the front of the tractor. It was used in the Snapper/Masseys 1650/1655/1855 tractors to run the mower deck and front PTO powered implements. Not even sure if mine works since PO had everything disconnected. He told me switch went bad, with everything else I'm finding, I'm betting the clutch is bad or spindles in deck are locked up.

My plan is some type of Bufort bucket/ FEL for this tractor so other than maybe adding extra hydraulic pump on the front, the pto and deck will probably never be used.

Thanks for link, I have 4 different copies of owner's manuals, figured some experts out here had some tips!!! :thumbs:

Oh, another question...does this thing have two fuel pumps? There is what looks like one mounted opposite carb, then one mounted on flywheel tin....which was bypassed by the way, go figure :deadhorse:

I've been exactly where you are with a JD. I ended up putting about 1500 into it before I was done, only to find out that the block is cracked and the engine will need replacement soon. I learned a lot during the whole process and had some fun as well. That is worth a lot to me. Tractors are also much more expensive up here and the older JD's are rare.  Sometimes you just need to take a break from it and then come back after you have accepted the realities. Putting a timeline on the project is also frustrating and with my current project I am not predicting a completion date.  It's done when it's done! It will be a great feeling when you are finished and that 1855 will be something to be proud of! 

#7 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 05:10 PM

http://www.gphope.com/store/  this is the best website I have found for onan parts, like the carb kit you are looking for, and at a reasonable price.  Gary is very helpful and knowledgable about onan motors.  have any questions, ask him.

• TAHOE said thank you

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Brian, yea I know, not in a hurry, trying to restore a Sears at the same time plus keep other stuff going and two trucks to work on...ggeeessshhh, I only need like 50 hours in a day. I'll get it there

James thanks, I have looked at that site before, I forgot about it. I also have contact with a guy on MTF that is an onan parts dealer so I have at least two outlets.

Thanks Daniel, your tips worked perfect!!! Put on my steering wheel puller on flywheel, couple taps and flywheel slid off pretty easily. This poor tractor, practically dying of heat exhaustion with all the grime caked on here. Not sure if you can see below, the stator and flywheel is caked with silt. Stator fingers had a ridge made in the buildup on flywheel magnets.

Also pulled clutch off front, 2 jaw gear puller and it practically fell off as I tightened it. I left the back half attached for now as it is bolted on.

photobucket-21241-1366848753407_zps69d43

• olcowhand said thank you

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Call your local Cummins shop and they still carry all of the older Onan parts. I got a gasket for my carb on a 16 hp SS16 and it cost me 3.25 .
  • TAHOE said thank you