#1 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Here is another crazy idea that I am kicking around for a project. Out at the plow day talking with some guys the idea came up of building a small, 6 or 8 inch one bottom pull type plow with either a trip type clutch lift or maybe a battery powered electric lift. The idea would be for the guys who have garden tractors without any type of lift on their tractor or garden plow to use to be able to just drop in a draw pin on this plow and pull it down the furrow. I would keep it a small plow so these guys could try their hand at plowing. They might not have enough weight or traction to pull a bigger plow. With the independent plow lift they would only need a drawbar and they could give plowing a shot.
I am just in the planning stages for now, looking for a small plow bottom to start with. Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:08 PM

I think it is a great idea Mike as it would help introduce a lot of newcomers or people that might not be new to garden tractors but never plowed a chance to see what it is like. More then likely to get them hooked even more. :D

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi Mike,I'am kinda curious as to how your going to make this plow.It'll be interesting to see pics of the build.One thing that has me wondering is how you going to keep it from wanting to wander sideways.Mine on both tractors will push them both sideways even with the landslide.Larry

#4 cubcadet107 OFFLINE  

cubcadet107

• Member No: 1156
  • 10 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 09:45 PM

Its a great ideal.

#5 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 07:28 AM

"Mine on both tractors will push them both sideways even with the landslide.Larry"

I think this is going to be the obstacle we will need to be over come.
My thought would be to use a very heavy steel furrow wheel with a thin ring on edge.
I have 3 of those small David Bradley type bottoms I am stocking for my multi-bottom plow project.
Our thoughts

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 08:01 AM

My thoughts are to copy the design from a one bottom trailer type farm plow. Most likely I will start with a 3 wheel design that uses 2 wheels towards the front and one trail wheel behind the plow bottom. The right front wheel would run in the furrow, the left front wheel on unplowed land and the tail wheel at an angle running in the furrow behind the plow bottom. One of the old John Deere 3 bottom plows we had on the farm had a hitch that had quite a bit of adjustment from side to side so you coiuld get the draft right for the plow. I am thinking of having a similar setup so it could be quickly adjusted to work behind different tractors. Right now I am leaning towards using an electric actuator and a battery mounted on the plow to provide the lift. I would only have to have a switch mounted on a cord to put on the tractor and drop in the drawpin and someone could have a try at plowing with their tractor. If I mounted a couple of magnets in the bottom of the switch box they could just stick it on a fender and go plowing. I offered several guys a chance to take my Snapper and go plow with it but most guys would have rather been able to take their own tractors out to plow with but didn't have the plow or hitch to do so with. I think it will be a fun project and give some more guys a chance to see how fun plowing is.

Edited by tractormike, October 21, 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#7 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 08:26 AM

Sounds like a neat idea.

#8 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:12 AM

One thing that has me wondering is how you going to keep it from wanting to wander sideways.Mine on both tractors will push them both sideways even with the landslide.Larry

Larry, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but being an old plowhand, I can say this with a certain measure of confidence. If your plow is pushing your tractor around, something ain't adjusted right. The landslide should be pushing hard against unplowed ground in order to keep this from happening. If it ain't and there's no adjustment on it then you need to add a plate to the side of it to build it up. I saw someone on utube having that same problem. They had their front wheels turned all the way to the left trying to keep their tractor going straight down the furrow.

Hope this helps,
Harry

Edited by harrycu, October 26, 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#9 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 11:32 AM

My thoughts are to copy the design from a one bottom trailer type farm plow. Most likely I will start with a 3 wheel design that uses 2 wheels towards the front and one trail wheel behind the plow bottom.

Kinda like an old IH Little Genius:

al_marner_littlegenius.jpg

I like it! :thumbs:

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 01:17 PM

Larry, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but being an old plowhand, I can say this with a certain measure of confidence. If your plow is pushing your tractor around, something ain't adjusted right. The landslide should be pushing hard against unplowed ground in order to keep this from happening. If it ain't and there's no adjustment on it then you need to add a plate to the side of it to build it up. I saw someone on utube having that same problem. They had their front wheels turned all the way to the left trying to keep their tractor going straight down the furrow.

Hope this helps,
Harry

I'am always looking for answers or solutions to try to fix problems always look forward to comments: The plow that I use is a old single furrow ox/horse walk behind two handle plow that's been made to use on the 3pth behind my tractor.On really heavy going is where it tends to want to push sideways but my tractor is big heavy enough not to have to turn the wheels hardly at all.I've set it up a few different ways since making it and its getting better now then when first made.I'll check that landslide thing out better now that you've mentioned it.it may need to be moved over further to push harder onto the side of the cut furrow.If I look at it closely its actually in a bit 1/2" or better then where the shear is cutting so that could be my big problem Humm.I'll have to check it out but looks like that's going to have to wait untill next year now as to wet and snow for possibly tommoro afternoon.Larry

#11 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Kinda like an old IH Little Genius:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6625[/ATTACH]

I like it! :thumbs:

Thanks for the picture. That is pretty much like I figure on building my one bottom plow. I figure they spent quite a bit of time coming up with their design and I see no reason to try to reinvent the wheel.

#12 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 07:21 PM

That would be an awesome thing to make. I bet HD would buy the plans for it. But I am sure you would rather do it your self.

#13 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the picture. That is pretty much like I figure on building my one bottom plow. I figure they spent quite a bit of time coming up with their design and I see no reason to try to reinvent the wheel.

Mike
I will donate the 6" DB plow bottom if you need one. Next year I expect to have a couple of tractors that could use it. Should scorer in short time as I thing it we be Very busy.

#14 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 26, 2010 - 10:46 PM

Larry, glad to be of service. Hope that will fix your problem.

Harry

#15 Vin122 OFFLINE  

Vin122

• Member No: 1414
  • 2 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 02:50 PM

1 Bottom Plow hooked to a Wheelhorse. I failed miseribly at getting pictures....... I chatted with the guy and he said he spent many sleepless nights getting this 10" brinly hitch plow to be a pull type. He is using a clutch cable from a vehicle to lift and lower the plow, he has this clutch cable hooked to the lift arm on the Wheel Horse. I had planned to get many pictures but here's the only two I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-10-12 018.jpg
  • 10-10-12 019.jpg