• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I will post pictures later. I own 9 economy/Power king/Jim Dandy tractors.

You don't need to for my sake as I have owned hundreds of them from 1947 up to the last years they were made.Even the later models have some poor welds.Please understand that I am not stating as a fact that weld looks and quality are a way to determine if a tractor is home built or not,I am just stating that I don't use it as a way.I don't even know how one defines a tractor as being home made or factory made back in that era.

Edited by Username, April 29, 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#17 Jaydeestude OFFLINE  

Jaydeestude
  • Member No: 34566
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hi.  New to posting on this site but not new to PKs.  I have economys from the 40s, 50s, 60s,70s, and 80s and have viewed hundreds of others.  All Economys from the first, no 101, until the plastic tractors used the same basic drive line with only a couple of changes.  They all had an automotive type clutch, t-92 transmission, enclosed drive shaft, automotive rear end and cast cased bull gears..  The rear ends changed from the early Fords to the Dana but the bull gears never changed thier design (except the PK JIm Dandy difference) and the clutch remained basicaly the same.  I have no doubt that this tractor is NOT an Economy nor any version that ever came out of the Engineering Products Co. even though it  does have some similarity in appearance.  Home made, combination of several tractors or some small manufacturers - don't know but Economy or some relative - NOT.  My 2 cents worth. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and TimW have said thanks

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Jaydeestrude, WELCOME to GTtalk, glad you joined us here. Be sure if you get the chance to stop by our member intro forum and tell us about yourself. Again Welcome !!

Here is a Link,

http://gardentractor...-introductions/

#19 NyRedNeck OFFLINE  

NyRedNeck

• Member No: 6598
  • 84 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted May 12, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hi.  New to posting on this site but not new to PKs.  I have economys from the 40s, 50s, 60s,70s, and 80s and have viewed hundreds of others.  All Economys from the first, no 101, until the plastic tractors used the same basic drive line with only a couple of changes.  They all had an automotive type clutch, t-92 transmission, enclosed drive shaft, automotive rear end and cast cased bull gears..  The rear ends changed from the early Fords to the Dana but the bull gears never changed thier design (except the PK JIm Dandy difference) and the clutch remained basicaly the same.  I have no doubt that this tractor is NOT an Economy nor any version that ever came out of the Engineering Products Co. even though it  does have some similarity in appearance.  Home made, combination of several tractors or some small manufacturers - don't know but Economy or some relative - NOT.  My 2 cents worth. 

I would have to agree without a doubt NOT an Economy.