18 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:37 PM

I purchased it from the original owners son.  It has a Wisconsin AEN with a hand clutch that dates 1955 by serial numbers.  It looks pretty original and was said to run a couple of years ago.  Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to mess with it until I find out more about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• motor and gibson 003 (1024x768).jpg
  • motor and gibson 004 (1024x768).jpg
  • motor and gibson 008 (1024x768).jpg
  • motor and gibson 005 (1024x768).jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:39 PM

Might want to to say its an early economy?

• TimW said thank you

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM

It deffintly looks like an economy at first glance, but I don't think so. The lift lever, front axle and steering box/ column are economy, but nothing else looks economy. It looks like a very well made home brew machine.
  • TimW said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:49 PM

It kinda looks like the rear end of a Shaw, I think it's a very well built Home brew!!

• TimW said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:59 PM

It looks as though it is made from a bunch of car parts. Some of the small companies used surplus auto parts to save time and money when building their tractors. It could be from a small company or a really good home built. Either way it is a treasure.

• TimW said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 05:39 AM

I thought it looked like an early gilson. I remember as a kid in the 60s using a neighbors to spread a lot of gravel. That one had a tiller steering though, Nice tractor. good find, 

• TimW said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:36 AM

I would vote for economy Parts on it, yet frame is heavier metal and bigger pieces and the bull gear boxes LEAN and that is diff than economy. Trans could be from one, but used in lots of brands, and there is no bellhousing which economy should have had with the clutch in it. Economy's did have Wis engines at times. Also the brakes with pedals on each side don't appear right for economy. Early ones like this old would have had hand brakes OR No brakes even. That Blade would HAVE to GO in my opinion. Too close to tractor to turn it and that would be big issue.

• TimW said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Gibson ( early) ??

• TimW said thank you

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:47 AM

Definitely not an economy. Looks home brew. STILL, a very nice tractor and worth restoring.

Economy's used T-92 transmissions. That is not a T-92. Also those bull gears are not economy.

That being said. After the war (2nd big one) there were 100's of start up "assemblers" of garden tractors trying to cash in on the new garden and home building boom. This could be one of those.

Edited by gravely-power, April 24, 2013 - 06:53 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and TimW have said thanks

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:35 AM

i say homemade kinda looks like an old ford rear end and somekind of automotive gear box.

• TimW said thank you

#11 AV430 OFFLINE  

AV430

• Member No: 2370
  • 53 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 11:39 AM

First off, very cool tractor! I believe this tractor is an unstyled Economy of the late 50's, or a Red-E model 15 from the same era. Many of the tractors from this era share components. Not a definitive identification but definitely from this "tribe" and not homemade in my opinion.
  • TimW said thank you

#12 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 09:40 PM

There is only a few parts on that tractor that look like a direct bolt on from an Economy.The first Economy's were home made and they would likely have been classified as home made if they would not have went into production.This might have been intended to go into production but for some reason did not.Welding equipment was scarce and sub par back then so using welds to determine if a tractor was home made is not a determining issue for me.Just look at the welds on some of those early ones.

• TimW said thank you

#13 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:05 AM

There is only a few parts on that tractor that look like a direct bolt on from an Economy.The first Economy's were home made and they would likely have been classified as home made if they would not have went into production.This might have been intended to go into production but for some reason did not.Welding equipment was scarce and sub par back then so using welds to determine if a tractor was home made is not a determining issue for me.Just look at the welds on some of those early ones.

On the contrary. Welding, arc welding, at the end of the 2nd world war already had a 30+ year history. There were thousands of experienced welders looking for work at this time. Not to mention the 1000's of sub contractors that were now starving for business and were competing for sales.

#14 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 29, 2013 - 10:19 AM

On the contrary. Welding, arc welding, at the end of the 2nd world war already had a 30+ year history. There were thousands of experienced welders looking for work at this time. Not to mention the 1000's of sub contractors that were now starving for business and were competing for sales.

Have you seen some of the welds on the early Economy tractors?

#15 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 29, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Have you seen some of the welds on the early Economy tractors?

I will post pictures later. I own 9 economy/Power king/Jim Dandy tractors.