• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:32 AM

There are guys here that know much more than me but I belive that is a Wisconsin engine. I have owned several over the years and I always liked them. I have a newer version on my compactor now under the Subaru-Robin brand. Tough little motor that starts well.

• TimW said thank you

#32 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Oops! Country Squire. I always get that wrong. I think if you look on the internet, that may be what you have. The early CS was it's own brand. Later they were bought out and were a rebadged Economy.

Country squire is a re-badged Economy.

• TimW said thank you

#33 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 25, 2013 - 08:37 AM

There are guys here that know much more than me but I belive that is a Wisconsin engine. I have owned several over the years and I always liked them. I have a newer version on my compactor now under the Subaru-Robin brand. Tough little motor that starts well.

That is a Wisconsin.

• Buck and TimW have said thanks

#34 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:01 AM

I love these threads!

It's amazing just how many people got into the garden tractor production business post-war.  All these little machine shops assembling a handful of tractors.

• TimW said thank you

#35 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Looks like a home built very similar to one my Dad built.  He used a Crosley car rearend, Wisconsin engine with clutch off of a old grain elevator, frame, frontend and seat from a small old AC, transmission and steering wheel and column from some old car (Chrysler product I believe), back wheels were off a car and he welded in steel plates and drilled them to fit studs on hubs.  Made from all old left over parts from my Grandpa's shop.  I gave it to a nephew and he restored it with a different engine because he couldn't find a replacement magneto.  It's on his list to be done again.  Wish I had pictures.  Maybe one of these days I'll ask him if he has some.  Alot of these homebuilts look similar and memic Gibsons and such.

• TimW said thank you

#36 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,629 Thanks
  • 7,671 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Country squire is a re-badged Economy.

I think there is an echo in here.

• TimW said thank you

#37 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Look at the old magazines like Popular Science, Mechanics Illustrated, Popular Mechanics and Department of Agriculture publications from the 10s through 50s. They were full of articles on building tractors and other machines from salvaged auto and other machine parts. I remember one from about WWI where the engine was a one lunger from a washing machine. The challenge now is to match the custom tractor to the plans. It may take a long time but it would be an interesting research project. If anyone does it, please copy and save all of your articles. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 25, 2013 - 07:21 PM.

• TimW said thank you

#38 TimW ONLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Maybe this thread has died, but something interesting about this tractor.  I am pretty convinced this is not an Economy, BUT, I hit it with a pressure washer and it removed what looked like a repaint.  The original paint starting showing up all over the tractor in small spots.  Comparing the orange that came out to some Economy parts I found, it looks dead on.  This probably means nothing, but I found it interesting that out of all the possible colors, here came that color.  The pictures may not be as clear as it is in person.

Attached Thumbnails

• Emmagradtractor 011 (1024x768).jpg
  • Emmagradtractor 014 (1024x768).jpg
  • Emmagradtractor 015 (1024x768).jpg

• MH81 said thank you