Got Moose?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Us Dutchess County NY guys have an opportunity locally to see a young moose.  He's been to Millbrook and LaGrange so far, kinda keeping to the "upscale neighborhoods".:D

Nice video:

We had another one pass through here some years ago.  My wife was heading down Rossway Rd. in Pleasant Valley towards the Taconic Parkway and saw him in a clearing.  I had to believe her when she got home because she knows the difference between moose, deer and woodchucks.  Turns out the moose made it all the way down to Somers, NY with many sightings and photos and then back up to E. Fishkill where it "was determined" by wardens that it was sick and so they dispatched it.  I wonder how it tasted...:D

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

• Member No: 14008
  • 5,522 Thanks
  • 3,067 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 12:50 AM

That sounds about right with the wardens, lol. We get moose in the yard quite often, but we kind of expect them up here, not so much down your way. They are Olde Deere #2'S favourite big game creature, I favour elk myself. We don't hunt either of them anymore, but sure love to see them.

• Team_Green and larryd have said thanks

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Just yesterday morning i had a moose trying to open my dog pen fencing. Dogs were going crazy. I went to see what was going on and there stood a moose looking at me. Chased the big brute away.. I prefer Elk for food.. Moose are more stable if you have to chase em away on foot. 

• oldedeeres and larryd have said thanks

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:35 AM

It seems about every 10 yrs or so there will be a report of a Moose getting down here into central Iowa from Minnesota.

I have actually seen one on the Edge of Altoona, Suburb of Des Moines.

Iowa DNR claims they get a parasite in the brain that upsets their sense of direction?

Back in the 70's a Guy I worked with  in the factory  farmed near Gilman,iowa. The DNR had been tracking a lost moose and they found it in his freezer. Iowa regulations state that if there is no hunting season on an animal it is protected. His arguement that it was tearing up his corn field did not hold water. It resulted in his loseing his right to hunt for 10 yrs, confiscation of his firearms and a $3,000 fine.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 24, 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#5 Cat385B OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,301 Thanks
  • 8,669 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm with Gerald, take pics of the moose; shoot the elk. Elk roast with au jus? There is nothing finer.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 10:10 AM

We've had one of them in our yard years ago but they are rare here. I saw a documentary on the moose in Newfoundland. There are so many of them there and they eat so much vegetation that it is starting to affect the undergrowth plants in large areas of forest. If memory serves there were something like 100,000 moose up there. They are a major cause of death in traffic accidents where they come through the windshield when struck.