22 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:38 AM

How many are using the Earthway Garden Seeder and what do you like or dislike about it?

I can pick one up at the Earl May Store(local Seed Company) for $140.

This is funny(Not funny Ha Ha, but Funny Peculiar) after a year of drought and all the complaining.

It has rained all but two days in the past two weeks. It's starting to look like when I get in the garden, I will need to get it done in a hurry between rains?

So I'm thinking about buying a seed planter to speed up th process.

• hamman and larryd have said thanks

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:36 AM

Better be fast and ask for help There is a ton of people moved down here to Arkansas  from Iowa  I drink coffee with 5 or 6 everyday

Most of them were farmers

larryd

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Uh Yeah Iowa Winters have a way of making people jump ship! I lost that arguement 20+ years ago when the grandkids came along.

A weekago today  the Great Grandaughter was born so I'm stuck for life.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 23, 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:36 PM

I have one, and the only real compliant I have is they will sow a LOT of seed. I taped up every other cup in my corn plate. It still sowed it thick. Be ready to thin. Also the bean plate seemed to break the seeds if pushed to fast. I also have the fertilizer container for it. It works ok for "side dressing", if you have long rows it seems to work better. I found you had to go back and check the seed to make sure it's covered.

I quit using mine.
  • JD DANNELS and larryd have said thanks

#5 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,414 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 03:49 PM

I have one too, bought it off of craigslist last year for about 50 bucks, works just fine.  I have used it to plant corn, soybeans, sunflower seeds....  no problems!  got 6 different seedplates in the deal.

• JD DANNELS and larryd have said thanks

#6 Deerefarmer41 OFFLINE  

Deerefarmer41
  • Member No: 10761
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have two of these planters. One I use as intended and the other is set up to hook to the sleeve hitch on the GT. The hand push one is used for planting seeds that are less than an inch deep. The one on the sleeve hitch tends to plant a little deep. If the sleeve hitch had a float position it might work OK all the time. Have used it to plant as much as one acre of pop corn. Have to say that most of the time they work good. Am sure that if you bought one that was four times the price it would be a better machine.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:29 PM

I do just as Amigatec does....tape over every other cup on the corn plate with duct tape, and just as he says, STILL drop too many seed.  I do however like the way it plants green beans, and not had issues with it breaking the bean seeds, but then my Ky Wonder beans may be smaller seed than what many others plant.

#8 dcon12 ONLINE  

dcon12
  • Member No: 24440
  • 33 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:57 PM

I have one but have not used it for a couple of years. It seems to hang up and it will sow more seeds than you need. No problem if you do not mind thinning but I hate to pull something up that is growing.

I use a four foot piece of 1-1/2" PVC with a tee at the bottom that I can put a 1' piece of 3/4" pvc in. I use the 3/4" piece as a guide for how far apart I need the plants. The PVC keeps me from having to bend over and I know exactly how many seeds are planted with the proper spacing. You can put shorter or longer 3/4" pieces in the tee if you wish to change your spacing. It is my redneck planter. Don

• JD DANNELS, HowardsMF155 and Jordan9682 have said thanks

#9 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I have one also and use it only for sweetcorn and peas. Like everyone else's it tends to double up on the seeds. I think Ill try plugging every other hole and see what happens. Corn always turns out good but the plants can be really close together. You can plant a lot of corn in a hurry with it though. I space my rows on 50 inch centers then the garden tractor and tiller can be driven down the rows to keep them clean. That sounds like a lot of spacing but when the plants are seven feet high it gets kind of cramped on the tractor.

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 03:28 AM

I have noticed that the new corn seed is smaller than it used to be !! This reaks total havoc with the planters . I have tried countless planters and NONE of them will plant the new seed correctly!! If I plant ,say, indian corn or something old school like "early giant" it plants them flawlessly! Then switch to the new stuff like market wonder or butter sugar hybrid and its absolutley horrid.
I'm hoping they make a new plate for this stuff, as it takes a long time to plant an acre of the stuff by hand...

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 06:07 AM

I have one but have not used it for a couple of years. It seems to hang up and it will sow more seeds than you need. No problem if you do not mind thinning but I hate to pull something up that is growing.

I use a four foot piece of 1-1/2" PVC with a tee at the bottom that I can put a 1' piece of 3/4" pvc in. I use the 3/4" piece as a guide for how far apart I need the plants. The PVC keeps me from having to bend over and I know exactly how many seeds are planted with the proper spacing. You can put shorter or longer 3/4" pieces in the tee if you wish to change your spacing. It is my redneck planter. Don

Cool Idea, thanks for sharing!

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Keith I wonder if we should try one of the other plates to see if they would work with the smaller seed. We plant strictly one type (Incredible) and those kernels are small also. Maybe the pea plate and see how that works? Block every other hole. 

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 10:46 AM

I tried them but they had too many holes, and the tape I had just wiped off after a few feet so I gave up.
I used it to make the rows and ran fertilizer through it , then put the seed down by hand and covered it with a rake. totally killed a Saturday ... Not my way of having fun !! I want seat time not foot time, I have plenty of that all day long at work !!

#14 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 10:52 AM

I remember when Dad modified oxen-drawn seed planters to mount on our tractor tool bar, he had to modify the seed plates.  His solution was to fill unwanted holes with brazing and grind smooth.

#15 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I like mine. Really speeds up planting. I have all of the discs, and I like to experiment to see which disk works best with which seed. I do seem to waste some seed, and there is thinning to do - especially with small seed. Overall I guess I would give it a 7 out of 10. Would rather have a single row for the 3pt (cole jr) and a more precise seeder for small seed, but price can be very high for those.