6 replies to this topic

#1 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have a deere 420 with 2000 rpm pto and 3pt hitch ...I got in pieces ,the tiller from 1 guy and the 3pt and 2000rpm pto from another

I had to buy a new clutch bracket(mounts to the frame with a carriage bolt holds the clutch in place and ground) ,

dash switch  - the seller included the wiring but the switch was no good after installing it... I found out...

and I put in a new electric clutch part # AM39413

it runs when theres no load but pretty much as soon as it hits dirt it does not, it squeals, whines ,and makes all sorts of noise ...the dirt I'm trying to till up is compost its not even packed rocky soil

I have heard and read how these are supposed to be animals but I gotta tell ya if this is what I can expect I don't know how john deere ever even sold 1... this is ridiculous

I hate to even admit what I'm into all this for and wont say out loud incase the wife reads this lol .. I could have bought 2 or 3 rear tine walk behinds easily ..(recently disabled or I would have)

so can anyone be of any help with this, I have tried to do some searching on it but have found nothing and the dealer will let you spend without ever getting any real answers..I know I  have all correct parts the right tiller, correct pto and clutch so I'm not sure why this wont work and not really sure where I should even be looking or checking at this point

thanks in advance to anyone who will take the time to help me out with this

• twostep said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 05:13 AM

Can you determine where the slippage is in the drive train. Is the new clutch slipping or is something else in the drivetrain disconnecting or worn out?  Did you adjust the gap on the new clutch? Is it getting the full 12volts to energize it properly?  I'm not familiar with this tiller setup but it sounds llike you have a definite problem somewhere. Can you turn the drive by hand to determine that it's free and not binding or seized up?

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:43 AM

...as soon as it hits dirt it does not, it squeals, whines ,and makes all sorts of noise ...

This is the number one sign that something isn't right. As Brian said, see if the tiller turns freely by hand when not in dirt. I'm not sure how these things are set up but I assume the hydro pump shaft is attached to the electric clutch when then drives a belt to another pulley that drives the tiller input shaft... are you sure the belt is tight?

#4 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 10:19 AM

the tiller turns free by hand ,there is no belts to check ,,

,I just received a message that tells me the some specs to adjust the clutch to I will report my findings back when I figure it out

thanks

its a mechanical tiller 2000rpm not hydro

Edited by thecoater, April 23, 2013 - 10:20 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#5 ajcan OFFLINE  

ajcan
  • Member No: 10208
  • 55 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 06:38 AM

The 48 tiller is a mechanical tiller driven by the rear pto gear box.

Gear box is activated by electric clutch.

Here is a picture behind my 322.

I agree that is sounds like the clutch is too weak.

Let us know what you find with the gap adjustment.

AJ

Attached Thumbnails

• garden 005.JPG
  • garden 007.JPG

• mowinman2 and twostep have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I would run a large gauge temporary wire from +on the battery to the clutch, and make SURE the ground from the clutch is perfect.  If it does fine with this temp wire, then you have resistance somewhere in the wiring.  IF it still acts up with the wiring taken out of the equation, then something is up with the clutch itself.

These systems will handle the tiller great when right, and once you use it with all working proper, you will never doubt you did the right thing buying all this.  Have patience....it'll be worth it all in the end.

• twostep said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 11:54 PM

I am betting on an improper clutch setting.