• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcowboy OFFLINE  

Dieselcowboy

• Member No: 8268
  • 72 Thanks
  • 109 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have just traded for my first engine. An LA. I am having trouble with it not starting very easy. Like I have blisters after I am done. It wants to go but backfires and starts to roll backwards. I thought maybe the timing might be off so I re timed it. No luck. I don't hear an impulse click like my "A" JD makes. Never the less if I get gas to it , the fire is there. Anyone ever had a similar problem?  After it finally starts it really pops hard when it runs. Is this normal? I thought it should be a little smoother.  Like I said this is my first one and I am clueless here.

#2 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Are all plug wires going to proper cylinders? I have done this before and had two cylinders mixed up and it caused backfiring.

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:06 PM

With old engines nothing can be taken for granted . A valve not operating properly , a bad manifold or an engine casting that cracked or became porous can cause similar problems . Checking the manifolds would be a good start.

#4 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:14 PM

With old engines nothing can be taken for granted . A valve not operating properly , a bad manifold or an engine casting that cracked or became porous can cause similar problems . Checking the manifolds would be a good start.

Thinking...

Check compression and look for a consistant number through out .

#5 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 06:50 AM

Are all plug wires going to proper cylinders? I have done this before and had two cylinders mixed up and it caused backfiring.

The LA is single cylinder so it would be hard to cross the wires. I can't remember if the mag on those had an impulse or not. It almost seems like they do. Maybe you should pull the mag and check. How are you checking timing? The spark happens when the points open. You can check that in relation to the piston.

• superaben said thank you