• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:26 PM

So I'm trying to bring my push mower out of hibernation (I know, not a tractor, humor me) and it won't start, it has no spark. Its a 6.25 horse briggs. I swapped the plug, no luck. I disconnected the kill wire from the brake, brushed off the magnet on the flywheel, nothing. Is there anything other than the magneto? I'm debating if its worth the $40 bucks to fix if that's the problem.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:37 PM

As long as your kill wire from the magneto isn't grounding out under the flywheel then I would say the mag is bad. I just replaced one last spring on my dads push mower and it was the same engine as yours.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:21 PM

It's your magneto 90% of the time on these little motors.  The Stens kit was $10 last I checked, it included the points and condenser.

Take something like a brown paper bag and clean your points, first, though.  That's usually the problem. 

Ben W.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 Goatboy OFFLINE  

Goatboy
  • Member No: 10605
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:29 PM

How are you checking for spark? Do you have an inline spark tester? I find these are the best, usually get one for under $10. Good tool to have if you have lots of old engines. It allows you to check in actual conditions. (plug grounded properly and under compression, not sitting on the engine in open air)

I don't think there is anything else involved in getting your spark. Make sure the kill wire is not touching anything when disconnected, check the gap between flywheel and magneto, I use a business card. Rotate flywheel and check It doesn't hit or change too much. You should make sure the kill wire isn't rubbing somewhere and grounding out or just clip it right at the magneto and use the choke to kill it if you ever get it running.

Is it eay to turn over? Last year when I got my husqui out I pulled and pulled, seemed kinda hard to pull. It would sputter and try to run, but wouldn't go. Turns out the brake was seized. It had spark though, so not really related to your problem.

Good luck

#5 Goatboy OFFLINE  

Goatboy
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:33 PM

It's your magneto 90% of the time on these little motors.  The Stens kit was $10 last I checked, it included the points and condenser.

Take something like a brown paper bag and clean your points, first, though.  That's usually the problem. 

Ben W.

Are you sure he has points, not a Magnetron? 6.25hp briggs sounds like a newer one off some MTD machine. Yardworks etc.

• superaben said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Are you sure he has points, not a Magnetron? 6.25hp briggs sounds like a newer one off some MTD machine. Yardworks etc.

Good point, I didn't think about that.  I've been nearly swapping points all day, so that was the first thing that came to mind. 

Don't listen to me, folks, sometimes.   :wave: 

Ben W.

• Amigatec said thank you

#7 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 05:56 AM

Your right, it's the new magnatron, no points. It's a newer Craftsman mower. The kill wire is fine, I have it pulled out and hanging in front of the head. The brake is fine as well. I don't have a spark tester, I'm just grounding the electrode to the head.

Where is the cheapest place to pick a new one up at?

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 06:40 AM

what is the model # of the engine or mower?  It's important to have the correct info to start a parts search..  I'll look the part # up on parts tree and then do a search for the Part # and shop around for the best price & shipping.  If your grass is reaching your knees you gotta go to the dealer and pony up the dough..  Sometimes I get the part in 3 days if the supplier is close though..

#9 Goatboy OFFLINE  

Goatboy
  • 30 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Where is the cheapest place to pick a new one up at?

If you mean the spark tester, I got one at Princess Auto or Canadian Tire. I don't know if you have those in the "States"  (PA that is, I know you don't have CT) but It was definitely made in China. Less than $10 though.Works great, make sure you get the inline one that plugs between your wire and plug, not the kind you plug in then ground to the block. I have one of those too. I read somewhere the inline actually makes the spark stronger and will help your engine run with a weak plug or coil, though I have not yet had the oportunity to see this in action.

Every one should have one. I'ts all enclosed and safe and really bright and easy to see the spark. I love my inline spark tester. It's the first tool I go to when diagnosing a non running engine.

Edited by Goatboy, April 23, 2013 - 09:23 PM.