• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I was at a buddys house last night and i saw this. Are they rare? I may buy it. all it needs is the engine rebuilt and the wiring put back togeather. he wants 150. Good buy? Could anyone give me some info on this?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20130421_125722_575.jpg
  • IMG_20130421_123912_491.jpg
  • IMG_20130421_125733_060.jpg

• Dieselcubmike, JRJ and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:41 PM

They don't seem to be rare. I don't know anything about these so I couldn't tell you if parts are easily assessable or not. As far as being 150 that seems a good price if it has a mower deck with it? Hopefully someone with more knowledge with simplicity can help with this. Looks to be in good shape :thumbs:

#3 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:19 PM

I can tell that the y made 2 models in 1970: The Land Lord and the Sovereign. They made the models 1970-1978. The model you have is the 1973 3316V. It should have a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I would get it if I where you. Its a pretty nice solid body and would make a great tractor! Good luck with it! Ian :rocker2:

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#4 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:19 PM

I can tell that the y made 2 models in 1970: The Land Lord and the Sovereign. They made the models 1970-1978. The model you have is the 1973 3316V. It should have a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I would get it if I where you. Its a pretty nice solid body and would make a great tractor! Good luck with it! Ian :rocker2:

They**

#5 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 02:47 PM

It may be rare in only one respect. If the decals originally came on that hood, it had to be when Simplicity was transitioning from one hood and decal design to another. This could only have been from the 1976 model year to the 1977 model year (1976 model year hood design with 1977 model year decals).

If all parts are original to the tractor it should be either a 1976 model year, 7016H or 7013H.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Sovereigns are good tractors.  They were well made, but not rare.  If it came with implements, and ran well, it will still bring decent money though.

Ben W.

#7 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:35 PM

i found a deck in good shape for 60 bucks and he will sell me 2 decks, and a non running landlord for 150. The engine on the landlord doesnt have a carb but the rest of the engine is in good shape but the soverieigns engine has the carb but it needs a new rod and piston. as well as the valves re seated and the bor honed. i was thinking i can get both, steal the carb for the motor on the landlord and put that engine on the soverign. then do the landlord later on. I know nothing ablout simplicity. At all.

i did notice though that the hydro pump and motor is the exact same one that was on my old cub 1450. I also like how the drive system is set up. Shaft driven to a gear box where it splits into 2 90 degree shafts. one side is for the drive and the other for attachments. Thats pretty cool. Anyone have some insight on how well these run and their strength? i like it so far, even though i dont own it yet... :rolling:

Oh, and Greg, they are the origional decals on the origional hood. My buddies dad is gonna find the model number for me tonight. And i think 99% is origonal. The best part is that it was bougt in the 70's right up the street from me at an old dealer. It had the dealer sticker still on the rear fender. :D

• achomesteader and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,904 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Anyone have some insight on how well these run and their strength? i like it so far, even though i dont own it yet... :rolling:

Check the Bevel Gear Box over for any in/out or side to side play on the shafts.

#9 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:02 AM

I've got more than a dozen of that era Simplicity, they were tough machines. A good non rusted deck will bring $250-$350. A running machine with no attachments sell pretty fast around here for $350 to $500 depending on the model, engine, and condition.
I just sold a 3415 parts machine with no motor for $250, the guy needed it for parts. It was rough but it was a running machine before I used the motor elsewhere.

As mentioned above, make sure the bevel gear box, (gear box at the other end of the driveshaft), doesn't have a lot of backlash or play, but in all my years dealing with these things I've only seen one bad gear box and that was due to someone running it with bad seals and letting the oil run out, it had probably ran dry for years.

#10 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've got more than a dozen of that era Simplicity, they were tough machines. A good non rusted deck will bring $250-$350. A running machine with no attachments sell pretty fast around here for $350 to $500 depending on the model, engine, and condition.
I just sold a 3415 parts machine with no motor for $250, the guy needed it for parts. It was rough but it was a running machine before I used the motor elsewhere.

What kind of engine are in these things? i know it is a briggs, but what HP? how much would it be to hone bore, new piston and rod, head gasket, and re seat valves? I found a good engine with no carb i think i could use though. Do these things have updraft carbs?

#11 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:51 PM

I have a 3416H. They are a very good michine. The last two digits of the model number will be the engine horse power. A lot of parts are still available from simplicity. The worst thing about them is that carb! A finally bought a new one for $150. And it clogged right away.
Those headlights are an extra cost option. Somewhat rare. Mine has a roto tiller that works very well. The shaft drive flex couplings are fiberglass. Mine broke. And I was able to get new ones from an old time simplicity dealer.

I don't think it would be worth rebuilding that engine. Better to just find a good replacement. That they kept it after the engine blow tells you they liked that machine!

Two things to check. The gas gage on the top of the tank cracks apart. Then, it acts like a funnel to allow water to get in the tank! The ignition switch is on the top of the dash and water can get into it and rust it up.

Joe

#12 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Most, but, not all simplicites came with briggs and stratten engines.
And yes, those are up draft carbs.

.image.jpg

Joe

#13 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I am hoping to pick it up on friday and get the parts landlord with the deck on saturday.

Joe, I dont know the model number, it just says Simplicity Sovereign. Where are the model tags on these things?

#14 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have a 3416H. They are a very good michine. The last two digits of the model number will be the engine horse power. A lot of parts are still available from simplicity. The worst thing about them is that carb! A finally bought a new one for $150. And it clogged right away.
Those headlights are an extra cost option. Somewhat rare. Mine has a roto tiller that works very well. The shaft drive flex couplings are fiberglass. Mine broke. And I was able to get new ones from an old time simplicity dealer.

I don't think it would be worth rebuilding that engine. Better to just find a good replacement. That they kept it after the engine blow tells you they liked that machine!

Two things to check. The gas gage on the top of the tank cracks apart. Then, it acts like a funnel to allow water to get in the tank! The ignition switch is on the top of the dash and water can get into it and rust it up.

Joe

It needs 3 lenses, anyone know where i can get some?

#15 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:03 AM

I don't remember where the tag is. I can check when I get home. Have visited the "simple tractors" site? That's the best guide for identifying these tractors.

Joe