#1 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 12:57 AM

So, as is known about me, I love to sell things to get more things lol. I have been offered a bolens G12XL and was wondering if anything about them is weird and prone to malfunction. I have searched Hi and Low for info and have come up with nary a thing...

Here is a picture of the machine in question

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_17.png

Edited by Deck_Drive, April 21, 2013 - 12:57 AM.

• MailmAn said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:11 AM

The newer Bolens are not that common but look like a decent tractor. Don't know much about them myself. That seat looks like it might make it prone to wheelies with the operators weight back behind the wheels. 

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I had one of those exact rigs!! Turns like crap ( poor turning radius)but very well built. Tech. Engine was total garbage . but everything else was cool. Had tons of attachments too.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:06 AM

Some of that style have a Briggs and are shaft drive. There are situations you would have to pull the engine... Oh, and for some reason, mice LOVE them.... Caseguy has cleaned the mice out of his with the Briggs no less than 3 times... And they moved back in last winter.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 06:10 AM

12hp OH120 Tecumseh shaft driven to a right angle gear box and then a belt to the transaxle.4 speed Peerless transaxle with granny gear.

They're not a bad tractor but they are not built as heavy as an old tube frame.Look up a manual for a G11xl they're the same machine other than the engine.The G11xl has a briggs and the G12xl has a Tecumseh.

Edited by EricFromPa, April 21, 2013 - 06:16 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:21 AM

There are many of these out there but they are not really collected by anyone.

They are a well built machine but I think the Tecumseh engine is what scares most away....

#7 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't seen many of these around, but that seat doesn't look original and I'd assume it has been replaced since it doesn't look right on there.  Other than that, it looks like a pretty decent tractor.  I'd say it is still better than the new "Bolens" LT's that are made by MTD, but yeah, probably not as good as the real Bolens GT's...  Good luck with it though if you do decide to get it!

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I'm not 100% sure as I haven't seen many of these around, but that seat doesn't look original and I'd assume it has been replaced since it doesn't look right on there.  Other than that, it looks like a pretty decent tractor.  I'd say it is still better than the new "Bolens" LT's that are made by MTD, but yeah, probably not as good as the real Bolens GT's...  Good luck with it though if you do decide to get it!

The seat is not original.....

#9 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well, the thing about the peerless transaxle thing doesnt sit well with me...  if you look right behind the dash it looks like the shift pattern is off...

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 04:12 PM

Well, the thing about the peerless transaxle thing doesnt sit well with me...  if you look right behind the dash it looks like the shift pattern is off...

Ya I noticed that the shifter looks a bit different from other G11xl-G14xl tractors.I have an idea of what is going on there.Do you have any pics of the gear selector area?

Here are a couple pics of a G12xl.And I blew up the shifter erea on yours.I think it has a shifter lockout plate on it I'm not 100% sure but it does follow the shift pattern for 4th and 2nd.

The only thing I don't like about the older Peerless 4 speed transaxles is,if the detent ball spring for 2nd gear goes flat then it will not stay in 2nd gear and if you mow in tight spaces you are going to have to mow in granny gear.

My MTD Fourteen Hundred and John Deere 112 both have the same transaxle.The 1400 won't stay in mowing gear but the green machine does.

$(KGrHqJHJFcFDS6gw0DqBQ6jrH8b9Q~~60_12.J

Attached Thumbnails

• g12xl.jpg
  • bolens1.jpg
  • Screenshot_17.png

Edited by EricFromPa, April 21, 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#11 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 04:49 PM

He said he is going to get me pictures of the tunnel cover tomorrow. Then the mystery will be solved.