Posted April 21, 2013 - 02:15 PM

You need a Hovercraft for sure!!

#17 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 03:40 PM

On our way out to brunch this morning, our neighbors thanked us for starting the pumping out process. Their driveways are now showing gravel , ours is a little further off this week with it being the lowest of the bunch.

As promised Moose :-) The last two pics , one shows the neighbors driveway starting to show up, and the very last one shows the our road through the trees. My driveways are under that water somewhere, running diagonal out to the road.

Attached Thumbnails

• pumpimg out the the yard  (10).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (16).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (21).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (18).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (20).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (14).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (9).JPG
  • pumpimg ouy yhr yard (13).JPG

• Moosetales, boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#18 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Are there any fish?

#19 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Nope LD, too early in the season, and the water just barely made it over the banks this time. '08 was another story though :-) Mucho carp hunting that year LOL .

Edited by marlboro180, April 21, 2013 - 09:23 PM.

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#20 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Just a little update- the 3 Hp Briggs is slowly dying, it is lacking power, and shows signs of an early silvery oil failure, and some torture. No read head lift on this pumping, maybe 4' at best..... but 150 ' of discharge line, uphill,,,,

Ah well, time for another motor. Whadda ya want for 75 buckaroos on CL ? The suction hose, screens and pump were well worth that. :thumbs:

Edited by marlboro180, April 21, 2013 - 09:30 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 10:50 PM

:worshippy1:  going to call you water world from now on.. :smilewink: 

hope ya beat the water buddy..

#22 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:36 PM

How ya making out buddy??? Hope your water is receding like NJKens hair is  :smilewink:

• John@Reliable said thank you

#23 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,805 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:32 AM

When this is all done, you may want to think about fixing the areas drainage system. You should not have to pump out your area, it should just drain when the flood receeds. If you provide me with the situation I may be able able to make some suggestions. Good Luck, Rick

• marlboro180 said thank you

#24 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Just a little update- the 3 Hp Briggs is slowly dying, it is lacking power, and shows signs of an early silvery oil failure, and some torture. No read head lift on this pumping, maybe 4' at best..... but 150 ' of discharge line, uphill,,,,

Ah well, time for another motor. Whadda ya want for 75 buckaroos on CL ? The suction hose, screens and pump were well worth that. :thumbs:

75 bucks is a steal!

I be thinking about a HF repower :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and Team_Green have said thanks

#25 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:10 AM

75 bucks is a steal!

I be thinking about a HF repower :thumbs:

He needs a 6 inch pump by the looks of his temp lake.. 

#26 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:27 AM

You know there are folks who go out of their way to build a Koi pond like that.

• boyscout862, Team_Green and marlboro180 have said thanks

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:42 AM

You know there are folks who go out of their way to build a Koi pond like that.

So your saying he should build more of a berm??  I see what your doing here.. Looking for the positive in everything..   :thumbs:

• marlboro180 said thank you

#28 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Just a little update-

The little 822 Briggs chugs along, though it is consuming a pint of oil per 2 tanks of fuel, about 2.5 hrs run time for a tank.  Been changing out whatever oil is left in the crankcase every two tanks of fuel LOL. This motor is not long for the world hahaha .

LD- I would love a Koi pond, this area has been a pond before, resplendent with fish, frogs and ducks in years past. This year , no fish, but the ducks and geese that nest here are happy to be paddling around the yard in calm water.

John- yep, killer deal on the pump. Scored 100' +  of 2" discharge hose for 10 bucks last year :-) < --- killer deal , thanks Pops.

Rick, I understand what you are saying about the land draining itself, but the topography does not really work out.  I considered a long narrow swale through my yard to the low point in the yard, but that would just invite the regular spring highwater into the low area. Then I considered a catchbasin, and a long , long underground culvert back to the river.   Being in Zone AE and X has it's challenges to be sure.

The riverbank itself is at Elevation 651.7'. The lowpoint of the yard is 648.2 ' ish.  The main road is at 648.1'  to 651.23' .

One driveway is at 649.1', the other is  ~ 650.0'. The higher one is starting to show bare ground,  I even walked the trash cans out to the road this morning.

When the river overtops the banks, even by just a little, our yards just plain 'ole fill up.  I forgot to mention, there is a private lake on the other side of our road, that is connected to the same river and ebbs and flows with the river in times of high water. It too was causing water to flow onto the road....but stopped short of a gullywash like in '08 which was the all time recorded flood event here according to the USGS.

From the low spot in the yard near the road, to the riverbank ( assuming one daylighted a pipe through the bank, the linear run would be 225' or so.  Not a whole lot of pitch to be had there...

The river is inside it's banks , and sitting at probably 647' at the moment. Still kinda high, but a " normal " springtime high. It regularly goes higher during ice- out.

For the time being , I put a junker jet- ski at one of the drivway approaches, lest anyone get the foolish notion to drive on in .:-)  It's funny to see the reactions of passers- by with that out there.

Edited by marlboro180, April 23, 2013 - 12:18 PM.

• boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#29 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like you're keepin your spirits higher than the water line :thumbs: Your place sounds like one of those beautiful places (weather permitting)  Hang in there!

fish at window.jpg

('...Lynn Clay grabbed her camera to snap a frame of the floodwaters outside one of the windows in her office building at the Riverfront Plaza in Grand Rapids, Mich.,'..."The water is usually only 18 inches to 2 feet deep outside the building, but now it's probably 20 feet deep. It's up over the walkways, the roads, and up the buildings to the windows." 4/20/13 )

• Moosetales said thank you

#30 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Sounds like you're keepin your spirits higher than the water line :thumbs: Your place sounds like one of those beautiful places (weather permitting) Hang in there!

fish at window.jpg

('...Lynn Clay grabbed her camera to snap a frame of the floodwaters outside one of the windows in her office building at the Riverfront Plaza in Grand Rapids, Mich.,'..."The water is usually only 18 inches to 2 feet deep outside the building, but now it's probably 20 feet deep. It's up over the walkways, the roads, and up the buildings to the windows." 4/20/13 )

Is that a fipping fish in the window? If so, that is awesome.

{EDIT} Now that I quoted the post with the pic I see that that pic file is titled "fish at window.jpg". That's a great catch...no pun intended.

Edited by Moosetales, April 23, 2013 - 12:55 PM.