• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I am thinking ahead on building a rear pto for either the JD430, or the diesel Bush Hog JBI.  Mostly for the Bush Hog.  My problem is the hydro output shaft where factory rear pto shaft couple to.  It is a 3/4" splined shaft with 16 splines.  I can't seem to find any such coupler.  If anyone knows of where it can be sourced, I'd much appreciate hearing about it. No way I can afford the JD430 factory system, as used they still fetch up to a grand.  I already have almost all needed parts to build my own system if I could just find the correct coupler.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Daniel is it any thing like this type of coupling? http://www.ebay.com/...b6bba60&vxp=mtr

• olcowhand said thank you

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Calling off the hounds......

Daniel is it any thing like this type of coupling? http://www.ebay.com/...b6bba60&vxp=mtr

No, that's 36 splines & I needed 16, but After a LOT of searching, I find no source for such a coupling, and it's like a lot of John Deere stuff that is impossible to find anywhere but a John Deere dealer.  So I bit the bullet & bought a brand new complete rear pto shaft off ebay that has the adapter welded on.  NEW SHAFT

I figured being I had the money in Paypal to just go ahead & buy it now and put it aside till I have time to get into the project.  For the JD430, I have most everything else I need, but truly I'd rather put rear PTO on the Bush Hog, but that will require a reversing gearbox.  So I'll have to either save up for the gearbox, or build it on the 430.  The Bush Hog will never have a deck under it, so that's why I'd rather have it on it.  This is for my 3 point tiller.  I am going to thin my herd down some (not too much), so I want one main tractor to do pto work.  

• chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I was just trying to figure out the style coupling for my search. But...I guess this means I have to close the 10 or so tabs I have open now. Just when I thought this was going to be a fun research filled night. :( LOL.

Glad you found one though! Should I start searching for a reversing gear box???? :D :rolling:

• olcowhand said thank you

#5 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Do you still have your Unico?

]DSC00006-1.jpg

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Do you still have your Unico?

]DSC00006-1.jpg

Yes, and she's gonna be going up for sale!  The carb leaks right now, so I need to get that fixed first.  It runs fine, but leaks when shut off.  It has an inline fuel valve, but it still leaks from the bowl into the intake area, sometimes flooding it when you go to start it.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Oh, and thanks for searching Chris!  :thumbs:   As far as the gearbox, I know of several that will work.  It's now a matter of saving up for one, as they go from $200 on up to $450.  So it's gonna be a while.  Gotta sell some stuff to pay down some bills before spending bigger money.  

• chris m said thank you

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:22 PM

The gearbox I need is a model 22 by Hub City, similar to below in 1.53/1 or 2/1 reduction ratio).  But I need one with a hollow output shaft like I found for my other Bush Hog JBI with the Wisconsin TJD engine I stuffed in.  The reason I need a hollow shaft is so I can install the correct splined output shaft to match std rear pto size.

hub city.JPG

• sacsr and chris m have said thanks

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:43 AM

Dan, I could have made that coupler for you easily!!! And as for that gear box, what if it had 2 shafts that counter rotate ? I have piles of boxes like this?
But I need some better specs.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Daniel would the output shaft on my 318 drive right through the transaxle right into the engine ? , (Spin at engine rpm.) What I'm getting at is could a aux.hyd pump be added without loading up a 30 year trans . Thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Dan, I could have made that coupler for you easily!!! And as for that gear box, what if it had 2 shafts that counter rotate ? I have piles of boxes like this?
But I need some better specs.

Counter rotation is what I need, as I have to reverse direction of rotation of the engine to the pto output.  One shaft out the front at least 1" diameter keyed, output shaft I would love to have hollow 1" keyed so I could machine a std GT pto shaft to fit.  Entire box can be 3 to 4" thick, with shafts no more than 5" or less apart.  Can be anywhere from 1/1 to 2/1 ratio.

Daniel would the output shaft on my 318 drive right through the transaxle right into the engine ? , (Spin at engine rpm.) What I'm getting at is could a aux.hyd pump be added without loading up a 30 year trans . Thanks

Yes, you can drive a pump off the shaft exiting the hydro pump shaft.  That shaft goes straight through solid to the engine.

• Alc said thank you