• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 empiregardentractor OFFLINE  

empiregardentractor
  • Member No: 33731
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Wow - that's special.  70 year old NOS motor.  Even has the wax paper cover over the shaft.

Since it has never been run, I'd bet it's value is highest just as it is.  I don't think you should try starting it - then it's used.

I'm hoping a collector comes by soon and helps out with the value and guidance on the best way to move forward.

My knowledge of antique engines is pretty much nil but my initial hunch was along the lines of what you said. TY

#17 empiregardentractor OFFLINE  

empiregardentractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for to everyone for all the responses.  I'll continue to monitor this thread until I figure out what I'll be doing with it.

here's one more pic of the engine for anyone interested. I'ts all that I have.

gallery_33731_461_466955.jpg

#18 empiregardentractor OFFLINE  

empiregardentractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 10:25 AM

There is a Vintage Garden Tractor show in Forest on June 6, 7 & 8 this year.  Forest is just north of Kingston, kind of south east of Harrowsmith.  If you are looking for a place to sell it, that is where I would start.

If you can't wait that long, I'm an hour west of you.  Send me a PM with a price & we'll talk. I'm surprised 8tyman8 hasn't jumped in.  He lives in Kingston.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

I'm familiar with Forest. I was looking to buy a house on Forest Road last summer. Had I bought the place I'd have a place to store the engine lol.

#19 empiregardentractor OFFLINE  

empiregardentractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:02 AM

A way to keep it in your family would be to find a museum that would like to take it on loan.

Thanks. I'm considering donating it to a museum as sort of a last resort. There's a steam and gas engine museum just a few miles from where Empire Garden Tractor had their plant, so it's sort of part of the local history.  I would rather do that than just letting it go for a few bucks. There's still a few remnants of some old concrete storage tanks at the old plant  site but for the most part it's a golf driving range now. Nobody in the area under the age of 80 has ever heard Empire Garden Tractor, even though they were a major local business. The only reason I know about it is that when I was a kid,  every time we would drive by the place my dad would say "that's where Garden Tractor was"  It used to be in the middle of farmers fields, now it's surrounded by urban sprawl.

It's something I'd definitely consider.

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for to everyone for all the responses.  I'll continue to monitor this thread until I figure out what I'll be doing with it.

You don't need to leave after you dispose of it. We're a pretty friendly bunch. We'll talk about what ever you want.

• empiregardentractor said thank you

#21 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:16 PM

Thanks. I'm considering donating it to a museum as sort of a last resort. There's a steam and gas engine museum just a few miles from where Empire Garden Tractor had their plant, so it's sort of part of the local history.  I would rather do that than just letting it go for a few bucks. There's still a few remnants of some old concrete storage tanks at the old plant  site but for the most part it's a golf driving range now. Nobody in the area under the age of 80 has ever heard Empire Garden Tractor, even though they were a major local business. The only reason I know about it is that when I was a kid,  every time we would drive by the place my dad would say "that's where Garden Tractor was"  It used to be in the middle of farmers fields, now it's surrounded by urban sprawl.

It's something I'd definitely consider.

I saw one once.  Here's a picture of what I was told is an Empire garden tractor built in Windsor Ontario.:

img-2010.jpgimg-2011.jpg

#22 empiregardentractor OFFLINE  

empiregardentractor
  • 2 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:42 PM

I saw one once.  Here's a picture of what I was told is an Empire garden tractor built in Windsor Ontario.:

img-2010.jpgimg-2011.jpg

Hey that's cool. I had thought it would be a walk-behind from the little bit of research that I did. Thanks for sharing the info.

• motobreeder said thank you