• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I just got an old 712s. I will get pictures soon.  Is the shuttle drive a good transmiton? Does it take more up keep than a regualr transmtion? Its all new to me.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,502 Thanks
  • 6,371 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 07:49 PM

This the kind with a rubber tire out on a small wheel that rides back and forth to change speeds?  Gilson used long time??  I try to avoid those. Not sure if same as you are asking tho.

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Simplicity Shuttle Shift tractors are nothing to be concerned about. They were built and designed well. Most people say they are better then your standard 3 speed but do not replace your hydrostatic tractors.

#4 yardiron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Personally I've always thought the Shuttle was ok, but there's been a few posts here about having to adjust them occasionally and a few about belt slippage. I had issues with one of mine too with the belt slipping when climbing steep hills, but it never slipped under normal use or when cutting grass. Basically its just a four speed manual transmission with a planetary system for reverse, which allows you to shift forward to reverse while moving.

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm quite happy with my shuttle, but it took some study for me to truly understand it. I did spend some time getting the adjustment right but once adjusted it doesn't take much to keep it running top notch. I just check it every oil change and tweak as necessary.