• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Something I've noticed as the world has become a safer place is that people forget, or never learn, the most important safety rule of all. "Watch yourself."

I learned this from my grandfather as a child. His farm was not the safest place on the planet, and my mother and grandmother both swore he was the most careless man to ever exist, but I never felt uncomfortable working with him. It all starts with that single phrase.

"Watch yourself," puts the onus you.  It's up to you to know where that piece of equipment is. It's up to you to make sure the jack is stable. It's up to you to know which cow will let walk on which side. It's up to you to remember to put a stick in the wheel of the manure trolley so it doesn't roll back and hit you when your back is turned.

As long as you follow that advice, you'll be okay.  It's kept me safe in photo labs, on farms, at construction sites, and around trucks and forklifts for my entire life. Those are all dangerous places, especially since I'm old enough to have worked on them before there were many rules and a hardhat was just a convenient place to keep your cigarettes.

That doesn't mean you can skip the safety equipment or ignore the rules in place. Wearing the right stuff and following those rules is part of watching yourself. It doesn't stop there though. That forklift driver might not notice your yellow vest, because he's seen so many of them that they don't have much impact anymore.  That hardhat isn't going to save you from a ton of falling steel. The best steel toes in the world will not protect against the weight of a four ton skid.

What I see all too often is that people put on their equipment and think they are suddenly impervious to harm. They take chances they wouldn't have otherwise taken, do things that they wouldn't have otherwise done.

The same rules apply with hobbies as with work. Watch yourself. Teach your wife and kids to watch themselves.  You can't teach my mother in-law anything though, so watch her while you're watching yourself. 

• MH81, hamman, HowardsMF155 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,493 Thanks
  • 7,366 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Well said.

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,709 Thanks
  • 1,382 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 11:22 AM

well said

also remember the first about slow down and look

thinking help a little about what you are doing and what you need to do

others most of the time do not thing about your safety

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,647 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 12:54 PM

That was very well put RB!  Thanks.

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,479 Thanks
  • 7,625 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wow what a politically incorrect post. You know that no one is responsible for thier own safety the gummiment will take care of us.

Excellent post.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,671 Thanks
  • 28,321 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Rev, thank you for summing up 42 years of experience. A dose of reality in a surreal world of warning labels and caution tape.

I was going to respond with " Safety starts with U!!! "

Then I thought, actually it starts with a "S", but you know what I mean, and when it comes to safety, there is no ME in TEAM... Er, um, ahhh.

OK, Better safe than sorry. There, I got that one right.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Every action does have a reaction so using your head to think first pays off. Thanks for sharing.

#8 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yes, well said. I don't/can't use that kind of equipment but helped when my husband was cutting trees, using equipment or some other chore. He needed 100% focus to stay safe and he knew he could trust me to stay clear til the equipment was off and silent. I hope you can trust your helpers (wives, kids, friends) so you all can stay safe. He often said, "watch yourself" and what you posted is exactly what he meant.