Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Stacking The Bolens 53 Pound Wheel Weights?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 04:25 PM

I been out there messing with the Caterpillar. Got a car battery all mounted up and adapted into the stock battery space. Fought the machine for 10 minutes and primed the carb twice to get it to run but it ran excellent as if it hadn't sat for 8 months unused. Looked over the wheel weight situation and have not made my decision yet. Went to put the tractor away and it is up to it's old tricks for sure... ended up pushing the thing into the shop.... ugh....... stupid thing.... wonder if it could be the fuel pump that is screwing with me on this thing... (only thing I haven't touched).

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well, just got done doing a bolt swap. Switched the outside wheel weight mounting bolts from 6" to 8" carriage bolts so I could just add a Farmall front weight on to the outside. All that took was to pull the outer weight, the wheel, the inner weight, and then reassemble with the longer bolts and an additional weight LOL. Now the left side is up to 150 pounds of wheel weights and the right side just has 107 pounds of wheel weights. Hopefully that makes a huge difference this weekend.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Well, just got done doing a bolt swap. Switched the outside wheel weight mounting bolts from 6" to 8" carriage bolts so I could just add a Farmall front weight on to the outside. All that took was to pull the outer weight, the wheel, the inner weight, and then reassemble with the longer bolts and an additional weight LOL. Now the left side is up to 150 pounds of wheel weights and the right side just has 107 pounds of wheel weights. Hopefully that makes a huge difference this weekend.

Yep, it will if the engine will run!  :smilewink:

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I can get the engine to start and run when it is cold, it just won't restart after it is all warmed up. I am going to buy a pair of E3 spark plugs for it and see if a high performance plug gives it the extra oomph to make it start after thebengine is warm. From what I read this is a common problem with the opposed twin Briggs and relates to the magneto... Which I refuse to replace again. First time was cause I fried it. Anyway, we will see what happens with the new plugs. Mabey they will supplement the magneto just enough to make up for the deficiency.

#20 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,303 Thanks
  • 1,104 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Great thread!

I was just about to Google this very question till I found it here today. Very helpful to MANY folks. ;)

#21 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted August 13, 2016 - 03:24 PM

Well? Did it plow?