• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 09:42 PM

When ever you are using a chainsaw make sure you have proper safety gear on; proper gear consists of steel toe boots, chaps, cut resistant gloves, hard had, safety glasses, face shield, and hearing protection. I know it sounds like a lot, a lot... That is because it is. But, all of this stuff will cost less then the medical bills of even a single lost finger, never mind a lost limb.

Also, if you do not have experience, consult an expert for removing trees; chainsaws are not for everybody.

I have been wanting to post this ever since I bearly touched my leg with the saw. If I did not have my chaps on it would have taken quite a few stitches.
  • daytime dave, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Good info Ryan.  Recently I loaned my chainsaw to our son, I thought he understood how to use it, he returned it with the chain hanging off the bar and it was so torn up I had to replace it.  Come to find out he buried it in the dirt.  If you don't know how to use one don't be ashamed to ask someone to teach you how to use one.

• Ryan313 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Very much agreed. I wear my Kevlar chaps, boots ( not steel toe , btw ) and Stihl hardhard/ faceshield/ earmuffs combo headgear all the time when wielding a chainsaw.

• Ryan313 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have all the gear as well including the heavy and uncomfortable orange boots, Stihl chaps and hardhat/shield/ ear protector. When I bought my first saw I bought safety gear and the first day as the saw motor broke in the idle increased to the point where the chain was turning without me realizing it. I was carrying the running saw and the chain caught my knee which was covered by the safety pants. The pants stopped the chain instantly and the only damage was to the pants.  2 lessons learned. Never carry a running saw without the chain brake on and always where safety gear when using a chain saw!

• HDWildBill and Ryan313 have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 06:40 AM

Bill  makes a good point , I  thought my son would know enough that if the chain got loose to tighten it  , when I saw him with it I'm not sure how much longer it would have stayed on   I should have spent more time explaining it to him :(

• HDWildBill and Ryan313 have said thanks

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Saturday, I ordered this; it arrived today.

4D043781-0F92-4A9B-B9B4-9FA8A175C464-262

It is not a name brand or anything, but for $31 I did not need it to be name brand. When using a saw I always have safety glasses, when taking trees down I always have a helmet. I have been wanting/ needing one for a while, and now I finally have one.

• daytime dave said thank you

#7 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 12:05 PM

Good price. I hope it is nice and comfortable like the name brand ones.  :-)

• Ryan313 said thank you

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I always tell whoever I see not doing it to stay to the side of the saw at all times if possible because if it kicks back, You ain't in the path of that thing!  

Here's another lawsuit waiting to happen:

598744_537138452997327_322521180_n.jpg

• Ryan313 and superspeedex have said thanks

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:04 PM

Good price. I hope it is nice and comfortable like the name brand ones.  :-)

That was something I forgot to consider. :D

It is not comfortable at all! When I get some more money, I will have to get a better one.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Good looking hat and visor.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#11 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 05:27 PM

That was something I forgot to consider. :D

It is not comfortable at all! When I get some more money, I will have to get a better one.

That is one thing I have always considered in safety gear- comfort. If it's not comfortable, I ain't gonna wear it as much as I should.  Having survived to middle age , I will gladly pay for top comfort in safety gear. :D :thumbs:

#12 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 11:20 PM

That is one thing I have always considered in safety gear- comfort. If it's not comfortable, I ain't gonna wear it as much as I should.  Having survived to middle age , I will gladly pay for top comfort in safety gear. :D :thumbs:

I've lived most of my life under hard hats and comfort IS everything.  When I buy one it has to have a ratcheting 6 point suspension or I'll pass.  The added cost is nothing in the long run.  You can "fake" a cheap-o hat by opening up the suspension and wearing a welding cap backwards under it.  Not ideal, but it can help out with some of those stiff 4 point suspensions.  The best hat I've ever had is my current Sthil/face shield/ear muffs, it truly is all day comfortable.  The suspension points are totally variable for a proper fit and crown to suspension space.

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:48 AM

About ten years ago, my Dad was running a saw. He was cutting up tru a log when something unexpected happened.
Thru some weird combo of pinching grabbing, etc... The saw kicked up and into his face. Got him pretty good.

A face shield like that, comfortable or not, name brand or not, would've saved many days of recovery, medical bills, and a lost whistle as his doesnt work anymore.
  • marlboro180 said thank you

#14 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

maggiewaggie
  • Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Well you guys convinced me. When widowed, I sold the big Stihl and two smaller ones. But I kept a little electric saw, helmet and goggles and his boots for small jobs. My sons weren't thrilled but I felt safe -(macho momma). Guess not! I'm not selling it but I won't use it. I'm in one piece and will stay that way. By the way we also loaned a saw to a guy who ruined it cutting into the dirt. It's just "stuff" but that's hard on a friendship, he didn't even realize he wrecked it. It's a wonder he didn't get hurt.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 28, 2013 - 07:04 PM

Well you guys convinced me. When widowed, I sold the big Stihl and two smaller ones. But I kept a little electric saw, helmet and goggles and his boots for small jobs. My sons weren't thrilled but I felt safe -(macho momma). Guess not! I'm not selling it but I won't use it. I'm in one piece and will stay that way. By the way we also loaned a saw to a guy who ruined it cutting into the dirt. It's just "stuff" but that's hard on a friendship, he didn't even realize he wrecked it. It's a wonder he didn't get hurt.

Maggie, I am glad you have been posting here, even though you sold your tractor.  Nobody has to be actively owning or operating garden related equipment to be a member here, and we are certainly glad to have you...one piece or not!  But do stay in one piece please!