21 replies to this topic

#1 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1300
  • 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 09:05 PM

Not sure if this is the forum to post this in but does any body recognize this mower deck. I am planing on turning it into a PTO driven three point for the 1650. It is orange in color and original in paint. There is a center bolt but no cogs to engage the blades on the spindles. I will need blades to fit. I already have a 90 deg box off of one of my tillers and the PTO shafts. I am planning on making some caster wheels for the depth setting pretty straight forward on that part. If anybody can show these pics on other forums for me I would appreciate it very much.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0845.jpg
  • IMG_0841.jpg
  • IMG_0846.jpg
  • IMG_0842.jpg
  • IMG_0843.jpg
  • IMG_0847.jpg
  • IMG_0844.jpg
  • IMG_0826.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I think maybe you should consider selling the tiller, then using a small part of the proceeds to buy a gearbox. Those tillers are sought after. I posted pic of the deck for ID'ing on a couple other forums.

#3 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 09:37 PM

I am not sure if anybody is willing to pay shipping from north central Canada for a tiller. I would be willing top haul it to the border because I go there a few times a year to visit friends but still the shipping would be just about as much as the tiller I think. I am not sure what the tiller would be worth to somebody maybe a hint at the value would be good.

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 07:39 AM

From what I can tell the deck looks like it could be off either a Simplicity or Allis tractor,at least that's what the hook up linkagaes remind me of.As for the tiller just advertise on Kijiji and I'll bet you'll have no problems selling it.Lots of people looking for tillers like that here in Manitoba as well,you wouldn't even have to haul it anywhere.It sure would be a shame to take that tiller apart just for the gear box.Larry.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 08:56 AM

I am being told either a 6000 or 8000 series Simplicity.

#6 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:03 PM

I think it may be a Case/ Yanmar Deck.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:36 PM

Aside from the color, that setup looks just like the one on my Bolens 1060. From the way the height of the rear rollers adjust to the front hook up. Even the belt tensioner is similar and in a similar location. Maybe someone built that style of deck for any company that wanted one.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 08:51 PM

Looks to be a deck from under an Allis T816.
2996065_3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 2996065_2.jpg

#9 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 09:05 PM

yep that's her thank you very much again olcowhand

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 09:44 PM

Just my 2 cent worth.
The rear PTO turns @ 2000 RPMs relative to to the engine turning 3600 RPMs.
If you what to drive a mower off the rear PTO you will need a 1.6 over drive to turn the blade at the same speed as when driven off the front PTO which turns at 3600 RPMs.
It will cut grass at the lower speed but you will also have to slow your forward travel to allow the mower to do its thing.

#11 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 19, 2010 - 10:24 PM

You know I'm with ducky, I think he's saying maybe this isn't the deck you want or you will need more than you think to get it to perform. There a lots of big decks out there. All Bolens GT decks are already have a gear box, as well as Ariens GT's and Massey 1655 and 1855's, along with the JD 400 series, all of which are bigger and stouter than the mid 80's Lawn Tractor deck from a T816 that needs a gear box to start. I'll bet you could Kiiji/craigslist that deck and get a shaft drive deck

#12 ErnRemy OFFLINE  

ErnRemy

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:43 AM

if the pto on the massey is 2000 and I am looking to get a mower deck from another tractor brand what are their pto speeds, I thought most pto were at 540 or 1000 if that is true. where have I gained I still need to slow down the the driven speed. I know I should not rob parts off of the tiller but it is here and should work nice for the job at hand. I might try to sell but have to check the online value yet.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 08:50 AM

That tiller if in pretty good shape, with little work needed, then it should be worth anywhere from $200 to $400 depending on the condition & the buyer. To bring the speed up on the deck, you just need to put a large enough pulley on the bottom of a gearbox to ramp the speed on up. I did it on my home built finish mower that I used behind my Massey's.

You can find the build here:
Garden Tractor Talk - 3 Point Finish Mower

#14 Guest_Big Bill_*

Guest_Big Bill_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 20, 2010 - 10:28 PM

Good advice Daniel, I just thought he might actually want a heavier deck for finish mower application, maybe a 50", 54" or even 60" garden tractor deck instead of the Lawn Tractor deck, Heck that deck would bring good money to a T816 owner and there's still quite a few of those good ole tractors around up north.

#15 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 01:35 PM

if the pto on the massey is 2000 and I am looking to get a mower deck from another tractor brand what are their pto speeds, I thought most pto were at 540 or 1000 if that is true. where have I gained I still need to slow down the the driven speed. I know I should not rob parts off of the tiller but it is here and should work nice for the job at hand. I might try to sell but have to check the online value yet.

The 540/1000 is used on bigger tractor.
The front/mid PTO on my massey turn @ 3600 RPMs to a 1 to 1 gear box turning the blades @ 3600 RPMs as well. The rear decks use a 1.6 to 1 gear box turning the blades @ 3200 RPMs. There was a 540 step down sold for these tractor as an option. Just missed one of those puppies on a 1450 about 6 month ago.:wallbanging:
They were sold so the tractor could be used to power conveyors and elevators and other low horse 540 items.
  • ENafziger said thank you