• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeA OFFLINE  

JoeA

• Member No: 431
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi all, bought a bolens 1556 a few weeks. has the tecumseh HH150, it's my understanding that is the early designation for the OHV150?..i'd been unable to get this thing started, checked spark,,did carb rebuild...took of the valve spring cover and noticed the exaust valve lifter was flopping around in there, not enough tension on the valve spring/rocker arm to keep the lifter in the holder on the end of the rocker arm...took the head of..bingo:yelclap:..valve seat had come disloged from the head and was just sliding up and down the valve itself....here is my question...is there a way to get that seat in without a press?...i'm thinking about sticking the valve seat in the freezer for a couple of days and then try to tap in place with a socket and mallet:smilewink::confuse:....any suggestions?...thanks, Joe

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 08:16 PM

I have heard of that working, however, If it came out once there must've been a reason. I'm by no means an expert which is why I'd probably have someone, a professional, look at it...but that's just me. I'm sure there will be more comments soon by more knowledgeable folks than I. Just my $.02

#3 JoeA OFFLINE  

JoeA

• 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 12:34 PM

i got the valve seat in. i struggled with whether i should tap in dry or a bit of WD..went with the WD..gotta put everything back together and see how it goes..wish me luck

#4 JoeA OFFLINE  

JoeA

• 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:35 PM

yeee haw....got the engine started...nice tractor and cant beat the $100 price tag

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:57 PM

Congrats Joe! Glad that it's running again.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 177 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 07:06 PM

take a punch and peen it in place