#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:33 PM

I have a Simplicity 1690039 tiller to put on my Homelite T-16H. I also have a Allis Chalmers tiller (older) no numbers to be found, tag is gone. The hitch on the new one is 6 3/4" outside and the old one is 6 5/8" outside. The hitch on the tractor is 7" outside. This creates a problem for a direct fit. I can heat and bend the hitch arms some but would prefer not to if possible. Also there is a depth bracket on the old one and none on the new one. I can tramsfere it however I don't have the length of the chain and just where it attaches to the lift on the tractor. I have moved the engagement handle from the old one to the new one however there is a stop on the new one where there was none on the old one. Am I misssing something here??? I have the mule drive for the tillers (2) and can see how that works but the hitch has me stumped. Here are some pictures, can any body help me/ Thanks. Roger.DSCF4093.JPG DSCF4097.JPG DSCF4099.JPG DSCF4105.JPG DSCF4102.JPG DSCF4100.JPG  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have 6 of the AC and Simplicities like this. I had not noticed a difference. I suspect that you are dealing with some bent pieces. The top rods of the two tillers that I have are in two sizes. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 18, 2013 - 10:22 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:41 PM

I do know of two different styles on the AC tillers. And also possibly one different belt routing too.

My B112 is out with the tiller on it. If there is any pics I can take tomorrow nite that would help, let me know.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:48 PM

mh81 if you have a picture of the depth chain and length that would help. If you would take a picture of the hitch setup it might help me. I just remeasured everything and nothing is bent. I can heat and bend the tiller brackets to fit but didn't want to. I will have the mule drive on tomorrow and see if the belt routing is correct. I paid $100 for the new tiller and mule driver with the rear lift and I want to use it this summer. Thanks for this. Roger.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:06 AM

Roger, how does the pulley line up with the pto pulley when the hitch is lined up in the second picture? On mine I had to shim it over a bit to get the belt to run straight. Nothing like yours, though. What happens if you swap the hitches?
  • hamman said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Mine doesn't have a chain. Where is it located?
  • hamman said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 06:45 AM

Your tractor side of the hitch looks different than mine.  Does the T16H rear hitch assemble differently?

DSCN2787.JPG DSCN2788.JPG

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:40 AM

That is a nice hitch.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#9 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 08:46 AM

To get the tiller hitch to work on your tractor, replace your drawbar assembly with one from a 3400, 7000 or 7100 series Simplicity hydrostatic tractor. You can also use one from a 700 or 900 series A-C hydrostatic tractor.

Here's one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43b4be51d6

You won't need the two upright bars that are included with the drawbar assembly in that ad. You will need to use a spacer between the drawbar assembly and the small plate on the right side. If you make the spacer about 3/4", you should be able to use all Simplicity attachments and A-C attachments regardless of the hitch width on them.

Your new drawbar hitch should be mounted like the one linked below or the ones in New.Canadian's pics above.

http://www.simpletra...ers/1600385.jpg

Edited by achomesteader, April 19, 2013 - 08:47 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I have been working on this most of the morning. I just realized that the hitch on my T-16 is different that the hitches on two other T-16s I have. they more resemble the one that achomesteader posted from our canadian member's.  I compared the pictures side by side and see there is a difference. The one posted is like the hitch on the parts tractor. I have removed the hitch from the new tiller and I am going to take it out to the parts tractor to see if it will fit up. If it does I am going to remove it and mount it to my tractor. I took the camera out with me but forgot the sd card. I will take it with me when I do this. DSCF4115.JPG DSCF4117.JPG DSCF4116.JPG  I can get the hitch for the tiller to work if I offset it. Not sure if this will work this way. If I do remove the hitch and put the one on from the parts tractor I think it will work. WIll know more here in a little while. Colder and snowing some here again today. Thanks for the help so far. Back soon. Roger.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#11 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I can get the hitch for the tiller to work if I offset it. Not sure if this will work this way.

Should work if you have the right size clevis pins. Should be 7/16" diameter pins.

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Well, I went out and removed the hitch from the parts tractor.DSCF4118.JPG However I don't think I am going to put it on my tractor. i was talking with my friend and neighbor and he said as did achomesteader that using it offset shouldn't be a problem. He suggested if I was leary of it failing that I add a piece along the left side of the hitch and place a spacer in the inside of left side of the tractor hitch to stiffen it up. DSCF4117.JPG I can adjust the pulley on the tractor to match where the mule drive sets as soon as I get it. I will post a picture as soon as I get the tiller mounted and set up. Thanks again. Roger 

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well, I found a 5" pulley and put it on. I still have to put the two belt guids on it.  DSCF4139.JPG DSCF4140.JPG It works well, however, even in the disengaged position it still runs. It runs well enought to till the garden(which I did). DSCF4148.JPG I am wondering if I need to get a belt that is maybe a couple of inches longer? Any thoughts? I appreciate all you guys help on this. I am really glad I got Bob running again and I have this attachment for him. Thanks. Roger.

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I forgot to say that I have checked the belt routing and from what I've seen in the book and in some posts it is on the correct way. Thanks. Roger.

#15 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 06:06 PM

A 5" pulley!  Wouldn't that change my tiller speed.  My pulley is only 3".  That is the biggest one that will fit with the belt guide bracket (aka "belt release" in my parts book), without shredding my belts.  Might also explain why your belt is too short.

DSCN3147.JPG DSCN2204.JPG DSCN2241.JPG

• hamman said thank you