10 replies to this topic

#1 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:41 PM

i been trying to by this 1886 for 5 year he kept telling me it belongs to someone else so i get there today to try my luck an it was sitting there they ere working on it so agaon i ask does the owned know if he wanted to sell ot an he said yea i just sold it for $2750.00 with a deck and wheel weights... w know its a 1 owner tractor and its very clean i posted pics of it on here in a topic called bolens heaven but almost 3k for a 1886 with no attachments no power steering i mean who ever bought it they got a great tractor but it seens like they got takein advantage of,,, what do u guys think about it?

• larryd said thank you

#2 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:53 PM

I think you should tell that guy I have a few more ill sell him for a low low price of 2500 each. And I'll throw in 3 mower decks extra, a six pack of anything they like and a glazed donut.
  • MailmAn, LilysDad, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:59 PM

LMAO Ken, yep, just gimme a donut.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 10:24 PM

He may have been pulling your leg.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 01:03 AM

A good deal is a state of mind.

One guy's "Great Deal" is another guy's "Boy, did you get screwed".

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 03:53 AM

I honestly think they were pulling your leg, Sam. I imagine they told that to get ya out of their hair.

• MailmAn said thank you

#7 makeitfit OFFLINE  

makeitfit
  • Member No: 23907
  • 12 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 04:25 AM

I watched a 1477 go for $1800 with only a deck at an auction a few weeks ago, it ran but that's all I can say about it. It wasn't much more than a spray can paint job with a shiny new black seat off a skid steer and custom boat battery box and battery sitting on a chunk of angle iron ahead of the hood which prevented opening the hood all the way unless you removed the battery. The battery cables were orange color jumper cables cut to fit. It also had a custom fuel tank, now that the battery was gone from under the hood, they stuck a tank in there that went side to side at least double the size of the original steel tank. The bright red plastic tank looked really special under the bright white hood. It did have a deck but it was seized up. No hitch, no attachments other than the deck. I'd have gone $500 for it tops since it ran and moved, but there wasn't a single original bolt in it and the paint was a mess. Original tires with tubes bulging out the cracks all over and someone filled in the steering wheel center with black silicone sealer.

A pair of 1050 tube frames sold for $850 and $1150 each too that day. Both of them were just plain rough, they looked like they were sitting outdoors for the past 40 years.

I've been seeing old Bolens machines bring some crazy prices lately, I can see where a nice one would bring even better money.

I think people are realizing what a machine like that would cost new these days, if you could even buy something like it new.

Edited by makeitfit, April 19, 2013 - 04:26 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Whats it worth post did it.........

• MailmAn said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 06:58 AM

Whats it worth post did it.........

:ditto:

:wallbanging:

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think people are realizing what a machine like that would cost new these days, if you could even buy something like it new.

I tend to agree with you but they have no idea how much work and cost of parts to fix an old GT. The TV auction shows give a false sense of values. There are alot of people that just jump onto whatever fad they happen to notice. I've run into many people that think "a machine is a machine" and condition means nothing. They think their crap is the same value as a well restored similar machine. They are also the ones that should be paying $100+ per hour for a mechanic(LOL).

In this crazy world we just need to keep our heads. One of the things to remember is that there aren't that many people that can repair machines. There are alot who try but many of them don't suceed. GTT has a concentration of talent that is generously shared. We work together and as long as we are patient we will make out okay. There are still plenty of inexpensive old GTs out there, just be patient. Pickup dead MTDs for little or nothing, fix them up to working and shiny. When the fadists get tired of the good(but not running) GTs because they can't do the repairs, then offer to trade for a shiny LT for the GT. Remember, I'm pulling for you, we are all in this together. Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 19, 2013 - 07:38 AM.

• MailmAn and superaben have said thanks

#11 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Yea that could be but it wasn't like I was buggin him to sell it o would just ask about it an he said that it was a customers tractor an he bought it new from farmersville eqt witch is where the tractor OS now getting worked on for Tue new owner ... I don't see why he would lie he's always been a honest guy bit you never know