21 replies to this topic

#16 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Have you checked for an air leak?  If the carb was professionally cleaned and you have a new air filter and you can't seem to get the setting right I think I would be checking for an air leak around the manifold.

I got back to it today.  I started it up and ran it for a few minutes then I sptayed 2+2 gum cleaner where the carb bolts on.  It smoothed right out.  (This is how I used to check vaccum lines on cars.)

I pulled the carb and replaced the gaskets.  Engine - gasket - isolator plate - gasket - carb.  Still leaked so I walked away a little frustrated.  I went back out atter everything cooled down and pulled the carb again.  This time I am noticing that the carb studs have metal shavings in the threads.  I am thinking that maybe the nuts are bottoming out where the threads end and can't tighten enough to stop the air leak.  Maybe if I add a washer or 2.  I am not sure how well the lock washers will work that are part of the mounting nuts.

#17 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 09:40 PM

throw some new lock washers on there and see what happens.

• robert_p43 said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:12 AM

Have you checked the carb mounting surface for warpage? That needs to be flat!

• MH81, robert_p43 and superaben have said thanks

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:18 AM

Have you checked the carb mounting surface for warpage? That needs to be flat!

Xcellent point, sometimes the ears will bend and cause an air gap. To not straighten, I have broke them. If I have a bent one now, I resurface with a sheet of fine sandpaper on a flat surface.

The other thing you could try is double up the gaskets. That might get you where you need to be.

#20 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Kenny's the man this morning.  I'd check what he advised.

Is the throttle shaft worn?  Maybe it could get a sniff of 2+2 through the shaft?

Ben W.

#21 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:34 PM

I removed the carb today and set a straight edge across the ears.  Whoa!  Must have been a 1/32 - 1/16 inch gap where I could see daylight.  I used a flat file across the ears for a half hour or so.  Cleaned everything up and pur her back on.  Same thing.  I went to find my sand paper and spotted the metal box where I keep a supply and I would have to move a bunch of stuff to get to it that was piled in front of it over the winter.

I went out later to take some strawberries over to my grandbabies.  She is about 4 1/2 and was happy to get the berries and see her Grampa.  On the way home, I stopped to see Frank and got a piece of sandpaper from him.  I went through the whole routine again and set the paper on a pirce of glass and took about 80 strokes till everything looked shiney.  Reassemble and it sure does sound better.

The problem is still there but not as bad.  I didn't spray the throttle shaft but I am sure air gets in there too.  I did set my finger on it and it wiggles.  I think I'll live with it for awhile and fiddle with other things that need done to it, like those belleville washers, another oil change, transmission oil change, etc.

• MH81 and superaben have said thanks

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sounds like you found the major problem, kudos.

My LMH carb on my 16 sucks a little air through throttle shaft, I get a little miss/popping occasionally. Not enough to aggravate me yet. I'll ship it to Mark and let him replace bushing for me when the time comes.