8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 02:56 PM

So im looking around to find a tiller maybe. I have noticed around here your gona pay 100 to 200 more dollars for a rear tine tiller vs a front tine. For just normall tilling between the rows is one gona be beter than the other? Im not gona try and break ground with it just cultivate. I dont particulaly wana pay for a rear tine tiller.

I guess what im asking is it worth the extra money?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Bob, my dad has very rocky soil at his place and front tines tillers jump all over, compared to the rear tines.  They jump too, but not as badly.  He got a Bolens (MTD) front tine a few years ago brand new.  It jumped horribly.  He gave it to me, I used it on my no rocks backyard suburban garden.  It jumped and was bad here too.  He gave it to the neighbor as payment for something and the neighbor promptly craigslisted it.

If you get an older used front tine, you should be fine for cultivating.  For that role, in my small garden, I use a front tine micro tiller.  It works like a charm for that role.  I can maneuver the micro very carefully and it really gets good results for me.  It is narrower though.

I have a rear tine tiller I got off Craigslist that works great for breaking the ground and love it.

Good luck.  I think you should do well, depending on your soil conditions.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I agree with Dave. The micro scratchers are handy and easy to use.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,722 Thanks
  • 8,903 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:26 PM

A little Mantis style tiller is just the ticket for that, but will cost more than a front tine tiller. We tried leaving enough room for the rear tine between rows one year and thought it was a waste of garden space.

I have a cheapy model tiller, Handy-Hoe?  I think. Has a cheap 2 stroke motor that works okay. My sister has one that has a Honda four stroke that is well built, reliable, and chops very well.

#5 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think any tiller will jump if you try to go to deep with the first pass especially, but most should be ok for cultivating.  I have an MTD yardmachines reat tine tiller that works great and busts up the ground with counter-rotating tines.  I have a little troy bilt junior, an old one, with front rotating tines.  That just lunges forward if I try to go to deep.  Either of these need to go shallow passes first.  I also have a ryobi line trimmer and picked up a snow blower attachment and tiller/cultivator attachment.  Both of these attachments are kind of front heave but work.  I want to hook up a set of wheels to the tiller attachment then it would be ideal for me to use between rows.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 03:59 PM

From my point of view Rear Tine is the only way to go. I have a Bolens(MTD) Front tine probably 5 -7 yrs old that does not have over 5 hrs on it.  I simply won't use it! It is too light for me to fight.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:03 PM

... For that role, in my small garden, I use a front tine micro tiller.  It works like a charm for that role.  I can maneuver the micro very carefully and it really gets good results for me.  It is narrower though. ...

A little Mantis style tiller is just the ticket for that, but will cost more than a front tine tiller. We tried leaving enough room for the rear tine between rows one year and thought it was a waste of garden space.

I have a cheapy model tiller, Handy-Hoe?  I think. Has a cheap 2 stroke motor that works okay. My sister has one that has a Honda four stroke that is well built, reliable, and chops very well.

Ditto.  I really like the micro tiller for walkways and raised beds.  Easy to maneuver and easy on your back.  I have a two stroke 2hp Murray that I got at a yard sale for $10.  We have tried the rear tine tillers (forward & reverse rotation) but keep coming back to the micro tiller.

tiller red.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 18, 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#8 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:12 PM

With a front tine, if you want to dig in, You need to lift the handles. With a rear tine, it will dig in by it self. That makes a lot of difference if your at it for awhile! I've never used a micro tiller. Maybe I'll take another look!

Joe

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have the older version of this , mines a 4 cycle though .Pretty happy with it. If your just cultivating between rows it works very well it doesn't dig too deep which could bring up weed seeds just enough to kill off weeds and loosen the soil a bit .

http://www.troybilt....ultivator-tb225

21AK225G766_product_medium.jpg

Edited by Alc, April 18, 2013 - 08:03 PM.