powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 11:09 AM

Spent the better part of the weekend cutting in a new thimble for a wood stove into a brick and tile lined chimney at the in-laws, now our weekend getaway and home for Peter's tractors and toys. What a job, first to come up with what I'd need to do it for supplies and then tools and cutting implements. The brick was pretty easy, hammer drill and good bits but the clay tile has been well fired by the previous wood stove and at least one chimney fire so that was like glass.....:confuse: I relearned what I already knew Home Usless and Lowe[s] than useless, they never have everything you need to do a project, thank God for the local lumber yard that had a 6" clay tile and would cut it to length on a Sunday afternoon for a correct thimble insert. The wife will have a bird when she sees the brick dust everywhere in the living room but the old stove was beyond unsafe and the stove pipe crumbled into pieces when I pulled it out. So at least we can be warm AND safe when I get the new stove hooked up. But the hole is done and to size, all that is left to do is cement the thimble in and cut the pipe to install the new stove. :bounce:

Peter

And it is just in time, there was snow on the higher peaks up there Saturday morning:say_what:

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 03:17 PM

Sounds like you had rough go of it there for a bit, Peter! Glad that you got what you needed to accomplish done. I'm right with you on the Home Depot and Lowes thing though! They blow into town, run out all the local stuff, and fail miserably trying to replace them! I will stop there before I get any further onto the soap box!

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 06:56 PM

Glad to see you prevailed Peter. I just have one question and it may be a dumb one but what the hell is a thimble for a wood stove? Does it have something to do with the damper?

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:13 PM

The thimble is the piece that connects from the inside wall to the outside.
Maybe someone else can explain this better...
thimble.jpg
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 27, 2010 - 07:29 PM

The thimble is the piece that connects from the inside wall to the outside.
Maybe someone else can explain this better...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6663[/ATTACH]

I got ya. I didn't know that piece had a technical name for it LOL

#6 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 28, 2010 - 05:27 AM

That is it, the thimble pictured is one for a building wall, usually for a masonry chimney you would use a piece of clay tile or heavy gauged metal pipe. The previous stove had the smoke pipe coming out the back and the flue was down very low on the chimney. The new stove has the smoke pipe on top as do most new stoves so I had to cut a new hole up higher. The tile works nicely as it gives a finished round hole to match the 6" stove pipe. I finished the install last weekend and fired up the stove for the first time, works fine but you have to open everything up to air the place out as burning in the new stove and pipe sure does STINK!!
Peter