#1 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I got busy tonight addressing the issue of my '61 Cub Cadet O's steering tonight.  When I got the tractor it had no front tires and the spindles had been soaking in mud for the last year, so they were pretty nasty and rusty.  The left one came off just fine, as it is not the correct spindle for this year tractor, and has the bolt instead of the collar.  I also removed the tie rods, as they each were bowed beyond belief.  I straightened them out with my vise and a rag, then removed the old worn ends.   I would like to beef these up sometime in the future... Can't believe they would use a hollow piece of metal for steering...  :wallbanging:   I then cleaned up the threads on both rods, then went to work on the collared spindle...  Skipping through a lot of beating and heating, then finally using candle wax to remove the screw the PO used to expand the pin, I was able to punch out the pin and then drop out the spindle with the help of a 5lb sledge and a fairly large bolt.   I then went on to sand the inside of the axle, as it was rusty and hasn't seen grease in years.  I couldn't turn the spindle by hand before I got it off.  I then wire-wheeled and ground down a few spots that were out of alignment, and called it quits for a bit to go pick up my sister from softball practice and to stop by the hardware store.  I ended up buying four new tie-rod ends, four machine bushings, and a split collar, as they didn't carry any solid ones in 7/8, to the tune of around $50.  When I got home I put some grease in the axle and got everything together.  I need to fix some welds on the spindle, and probably paint it, but everything fits okay, though there is some play in the spindle...  Oh well.  I need to disassemble it again and drill out the old, broken grease fitting and tap it to install a new one.  Then repeat the process on the other side.  I will keep my eyes out for a collared spindle for the right side, but until then I will just use what I have.  I still need to find a S/G to try and get this thing going.  Thanks for looking, now onto the pictures!   :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• 0417132010.jpg
  • 0417132010a.jpg
  • 0417132010b.jpg
  • 0417132011.jpg
  • 0417132011a.jpg
  • 0417132011b.jpg

• Gtractor, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#2 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Is there supposed to be a bushing at the top of the steering tower to keep the steering rod in place?  Mine is just kind of floating there, and I was thinking about trying to find a replacement next time I go in for parts.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 12:57 AM

According to the parts manual, page 24, shows a 'bearing'.

• Dane in PA said thank you

#4 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:55 AM

I just used a common wheel bearing found at the local fleet store. I think it was around 3 bucks. Cheap and provides a tiny bit easier steering than a bushing.

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:13 AM

Looks like you have been busy....Good work, and thanks for the photos.

#6 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 05:02 AM

I just used a common wheel bearing found at the local fleet store. I think it was around 3 bucks. Cheap and provides a tiny bit easier steering than a bushing.

Any chance that you still remember the size?

#7 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Not off hand.  I just measured the OD of the steering shaft and the ID of the tube.  I think it might have been in a box for wheel barrow wheel bearings.

#8 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • 497 Thanks
  • 579 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 09:48 AM

Not off hand.  I just measured the OD of the steering shaft and the ID of the tube.  I think it might have been in a box for wheel barrow wheel bearings.

I'll have to look into it.

The spindle moves SO much better now...  I'm planning to do a full mechanical restoration at this point.

• twostep said thank you