#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:49 PM

This is not really a bad spot but I'm torn. Good friend called and told me he has a Case 446 with deck. He wants my JD 140. The Case might need a rod. Deck is good. Tractor is good except for missing scoop on top of the hood. Needs front tires but rears are great. Now my 140. It smokes. Hydro has a drip around the dipstick tube. No attachments but runs strong. Ag tires. Has working headlight panel. Missing grille. What do you guys think? Should I? I would love to have this 446 in the garage. Its a 16hp twin Onan. I know Onan engine parts are pricey. What to do?!!!!

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:52 PM

The first thing I recommend doing, is uploading the pictures you took today for comparison. Also, sounds like a decent match-up, except for one thing, the Deere is running, and the Case isn't yet.

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,695 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:55 PM

H1 or H3?

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:12 PM

H1. Have to wait till tomorrow for 140 pics. Here is the Case.uploadfromtaptalk1366251137176.jpg
It needs work but so does the 140. Both are gonna need engine rebuilds. Well maybe on the Case. He is not real knowledgeable on engines. He never checked compression. He actually never got it running. I would obviously check the condition. So could possibly need nothing but basics (at least I hope).

Eric

Edited by dropped82, April 17, 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,588 Thanks
  • 3,902 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:04 PM

A friend of mine bought one of those Case's many years ago that ran beautifully. The tractor also looked very nice.  He got it home and it didn't have enough power to run the mower deck.  Found out it had thrown a rod and was only running on one.  He bought just the rod, polished the crank and put it back together.  It was still going several years later when someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  

Had I tried that, the rod would have broken the block, cam, piston and hard tellin what all making a nice boat anchor.  :(

Good Luck with your choice.    :wave:

• Alc, dropped82 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:11 PM

I think, this can be only your decision, Eric! Looks like you want the Case...

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:15 AM

They both need work, you want to try the Case, already been there with the  J.D.----  I say go for it !  Life's an adventure, live a little. Just my opinion.  ( and to think I'm a J.D.man and just said this? lol  )

• Alc, dropped82, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 05:25 AM

They both need work, you want to try the Case, already been there with the  J.D.----  I say go for it !  Life's an adventure, live a little. Just my opinion.  ( and to think I'm a J.D.man and just said this? lol  )

I agree. If the Case is something you've always wanted to try then this is probably the cheapest way you are going to get into the large wheel Case tractors. The one unknown is the actual condition of the engine. If it's shot then it could be an expensive proposition to get it running again.

• Alc said thank you

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Being a Case I would want to know about the hydraulic pump and valve conditions more than the engine! The engine is easy to replace. Diagnosis of a bad hydraulic component can be a real booger!.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:29 AM

the case looks great, the same ones around us go for around 600 in the condition.

#11 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Alright everyone. I got it. It needs a rod. Now the question is: do i repower, rebuild, or find used? Its gonna get some sanding and paint. also some fluid changes. I cant wait. Gotta few other things to take care of on the other tractors before I get started on it. Anyone have a B43M Onan laying around? Oh and I got completely soaked loading it. That massive storm front got here right about pickup time. I slipped once but I won in the end. I will have pics in about 15 minutes.

Eric

#12 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Here are a couple pics. I plan to pull the engine then start sanding and painting the rest. Tires are good. Shockingly the fronts that were flat have no cracks. I am going to dismount them. I think they are rusty around the bead. Rear tires are in great shape thank god! I would imagine those are not cheap.uploadfromtaptalk1366334904988.jpg
I think they like each otheruploadfromtaptalk1366334925577.jpg
Any good place to get a headlight? Also that hole in the hood is actually cut out. I have no idea why. Maybe that will call for a hood scoop to cover it up. I know that's not original but don't really think it'll hurt the looks.

Eric

Edited by dropped82, April 18, 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 06:01 AM

Here's a link to some new rods! Just hope the crankshaft is usable!

#14 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,227 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the link Kenny. Those are a tad bit more expensive than Kohler rods! Oh well, still cheaper than a repower. I am also hoping that the crank is still good. The cylinder walls look great. Considering there is no lip where the rings top out either this engine has been rebuilt or its got low hours on it when the rod broke. Once I measure the bore I will find out. I just sold my 212, so that'll give me some cash for the engine parts. Gonna mount this 48" deck to the 226 tomorrow. Better than mowing with the 38" I have. Once I get a couple other things done I'm gonna pull the engine and start cleaning. I may sand and paint first then do the engine. That way I can mount it as soon as its done instead of waiting for the refinish. Anyone know a good place for ags for this? Also I'm in search of the Onan B43M service manual if anyone has a PDF file. Thanks for the help!

Eric

#15 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Eric,

You can download the Onan SM you're looking for from the Manuals section here on GTTalk. The link is at the top of the page. Regarding the headlights. If you need the plastic lenses (Speaker 780) then you can contact Brian Hildreth he's an Ingersoll dealer. However, if you're talking about the glass lenses (Speaker 777) then you'll need to keep your eyes on eBay (Warning they are not inexpensive). Speaker no longer makes the 777 lens. There are a fair amount of other brands of LGTs that have the 777's such as Ford LGTs and others but finding them will be a challenge.

Are you looking for AG tires for your 226? m.e. Miller Tire can help you out there. I've not purchased from them but I read that they are a good company to work with and have somewhat fair prices. Miller Tire will have Ag tires for your 446 as well. Before doing so I would check your local tire shops some don't have any problem finding LGT tires either turf or Ag. Any shop worth their salt should be able to get Titan or Carlisle (same company) tires. Could always look over eBay.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth

Edited by KBear, April 20, 2013 - 02:16 PM.