• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 purdum OFFLINE  

purdum
  • Member No: 33032
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:59 PM

I have a JD 110 which I use for mowing, and a JD 300 w/tiller attachment which I use for tilling.  Both spend as much time either in the JD shop or in my garage being repaired by me as they do in actual use, so I'm thinking of replacing both of them with a single JD tractor that has both a mower deck and tiller attachment.  It looks like a JD 500 is the minimum machine required.  My questions are: what is the scoop on the reliability of the JD 500? Is it relatively easy to install/remove the tiller attachment on a JD 500? (it's a major hassle on the JD 300).  Is there a better solution that is not going to cost me $10K+ ?  Thanks for your thoughts!

Our farm is 2.3 acres, with 16,000 sq ft of garden. 

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:02 PM

What about a later 300 series like a 318 or 322 if you want gas.  330 or 332 if you want diesel.  All are great tractors that will last, especially the 318 if it has been repowered.

• jd.rasentrac and purdum have said thanks

#3 purdum OFFLINE  

purdum
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 09:12 PM

A 318 would be a good option if I could find one available in the area - nothing as of this evening.  I'll keep that suggestion in mind, though. Thanks.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Can you overhaul the two machines you have? Otherwise you are going to spend alot of money. You need bigger machines than most of us.  I wish you good luck with a complicated decision. Rick

• purdum said thank you

#5 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:56 AM

I agree with the things Travis and Rick have said. And I think, when you sell the 110, you'll get a good price. And pics will be helpful ti worth the 110 and the 300.

• purdum said thank you

#6 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 04:03 AM

I have a JD 110 which I use for mowing, and a JD 300 w/tiller attachment which I use for tilling.  Both spend as much time either in the JD shop or in my garage being repaired by me as they do in actual use, so I'm thinking of replacing both of them with a single JD tractor that has both a mower deck and tiller attachment.  It looks like a JD 500 is the minimum machine required.  My questions are: what is the scoop on the reliability of the JD 500? Is it relatively easy to install/remove the tiller attachment on a JD 500? (it's a major hassle on the JD 300).  Is there a better solution that is not going to cost me $10K+ ?  Thanks for your thoughts!

Our farm is 2.3 acres, with 16,000 sq ft of garden. 

Jeeze gonna be hard pressed to be cheap with new green iron,,, I usually find things boil down to one of two things,,, one being time, the other being money,, seems difficult to have both at the same time.  I'm slowly getting tired of spending time on old stuff so Im spending money on newer stuff.

• boyscout862 and purdum have said thanks

#7 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 06:03 AM

As much as I hate to say it I've thought the same thing. It seems like there is alway something to do with the old gts. I've thought about keeping one to play with ave just getting a new one to work with. I don't get to the showroom much but I think john Deere is 0% financing right now.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2
  • purdum said thank you

#8 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 06:10 AM

My father in law picked up a jd x465 about 6-7 years ago and uses it to mow around 5 acres and snow blows about 1/4mile worth of driveway. The only issue he has ever had was when it was new one of the hyd lines going to the remotes burst and left him stranded. The dealer came out and picked it up from the yard and fixed it under warranty and thats it. He loves the power, the power steering and ease of use with attachments. But had probably $10k+ into it when he bought it with the blower, cab, weights and chains.
  • purdum said thank you

#9 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:08 AM

As much as I hate to say it I've thought the same thing. It seems like there is alway something to do with the old gts.

Isn't that the point? 

It is for me.  I plow with a Ford LGT145. I could plow with my John Deere 140, but right now I just use it to till, my garden is only about 2000 sq. ft.   I could mow with it too, but I am going to mow with a John Deere 214. I mow about 3/4 acre.   I like working on my old garden tractors.  I haven't got tired of it.

Edited by James henry, April 18, 2013 - 07:11 AM.

• purdum said thank you

#10 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Had my X500 for 6 years now and absolutely love it.  Tough, reliable, and fun to operate.  Like anything green& yellow, expensive, though.  Good luck!

• purdum said thank you

#11 purdum OFFLINE  

purdum
  • 5 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:00 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. No decision yet but I'm leaning toward trading these two in and getting a new x500 w/tiller.  Both tractors have been in the shop within the past year for overhauls, and I just rebuilt the carburetor in the JD 300.  Unlike probably all of you folks, I'm not particularly adept at small-engine repair. I only did the carburetor rebuild myself because if I took the tractor into the shop this time of year it would take them at least three weeks to get it back to me, and I need the tilling done now.

#12 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 01:50 PM

My brother has been mowing his 7 acres with a Grasshopper for the last couple of years.  He used to mow with a Ford 961 and a woods finish mower, but was usually mowing every day afterwork and weekends.   With the grasshopper he can be done in a few hours.  For that much acreage I can see that. 

Me, I live in town, so a garden tractor is more my size and speed.  I have a sleeve hitch, a tiller, a snow blower, a snow blade, and a 46" mower deck for my JD 140.  If I had to buy those new today I could in no way afford it. 

• Trav1s and purdum have said thanks

#13 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Isn't that the point? 

Not when I'm dependant on them. I love to mess with them I just don't want it to be a chore.

• js5020 said thank you

#14 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted April 18, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Not when I'm dependant on them. I love to mess with them I just don't want it to be a chore.

I can dig that