• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:03 PM

First off, HERE is some back story about my '64 PK. About two months ago Neighbor Herby told me that Tessie and Bob (Tessie's husband) had a belly mower, and a tow behind mower. Since the deck shells are the same, Bob swapped all of the brackets from the belly mower onto the tow behind mower when the original belly mower rotted out. Herby then told me that the engine, and all of the brackets should still be in the barn!

Last week, Tessie's niece and her (the niece's) husband where cleaning out the barn so I printed out a picture (attached below) and gave it to them. I made sure that they knew what they where looking for, since I would be to busy to help them for a while.

Today, I went over to Neighbor Herby's house to talk to him, when I was called over to the barn. I went inside and there sat the engine and mounting brackets under a work bench! I have walked past that work bench a countless number of times, but since the room was packed with stuff I had never noticed it before.

There is not much to it, very simple design!

02E6F4D8-A006-4B63-8F9F-966701F5D4D5-213

Here it is in the disengaged position. To engage you pull the lever towards the back to remove tension on the lock, flip the lock and the entire engine slides forward to put tension on the belt.

EBCC643D-5404-4B62-AE60-C399CD64E2E1-213

Here is an engaged picture.

A037D95B-0149-406D-A3D4-81F6DE314C16-213

I have not had much time to look over the engine, but it is not seized; although, it is very hard to turn. I hope I will get a chance to look at it more tomorrow.

The three in the attached picture are the only ones that I personally have ever heard of. This one is now number four.

Attached Thumbnails

• phonepics092412 038.jpg

Edited by Ryan313, April 16, 2013 - 10:05 PM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 05:46 AM

Ryan that's great you got it !  I remember when I only had my Jim Dandy I would have to change the snow plow to the dirt plow ,to the tiller ( you know how big those are lol ) then the grass would start growing have to put the deck on even though haing the tiller on all summer would have made gardening easier  , if I would have one of those it would have been a lot less work  lol

• Ryan313 and larryd have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Glad you found the goodies! Get a pic of the back end of that engine mount, please! Looks like a real simple design!

• Ryan313 and larryd have said thanks

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 07:35 AM

nice find. i kinda want one

• Ryan313 said thank you

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Wow, that seems to be a really rare find.  Congratulations Ryan.

• Ryan313 said thank you

#6 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hey, Ryan,

I also have one. The picture you shared was at an auction in Indiana where they had the new ones as pictured. They sold for around $300-400 each.

I bought a used one they had that is an older model(smaller tires, older engine) that I am working on. The deck shell has been repaired and repainted. The mounting plates for the wheels have been fabricated and welded to the deck. The engine is not stuck but not sure what condition it's in.

I think they used a 6 to 8 hp B&S. I'm not sure if I will have mine ready to take to shows this year.

Good luck with yours.

Chuck

• Alc and Ryan313 have said thanks

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Cellphone pics 3-9-12 030.jpg Hi,

Here is a pic of the back side of the Tow Mower engine slide arrangement. This pic is of the units in Ryans pic before thery were removed from the barn and cleaned up for the auction. Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, April 17, 2013 - 10:39 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted April 19, 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have been so busy, I have not even had time to think about this! I did have some time tonight, so I uploaded a manual HERE, for the tow behind mower.

A couple days ago, we where in the barn again... I spotted one of the wheels; we could not find the other wheel or the brackets to mount the wheels unfortunately. However, the tires are solid tires and I should be able to find some replacements easily. As for the brackets, maybe chuck could be so kind to take some pictures and measurements for me of his. :D

Kenny, I will get you a picture of the engine mount soon. It is just a plate, pretty simple.

Chuck, could you get me some pictures of the engine on yours also? By the way, is yours one of the ones that was at the auction?

Edited by Ryan313, April 19, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#9 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 05:47 AM

Ryan,
I can get some pics of what we did for the wheel mount brackets that we made for my unit. One side was cracked at the weld and broke of when we were loading it.
I did buy it at the same auction, but it was a unit that had been used by the family and is slightly older than the ones in the pics.
The wheels/tires on my tow mower are narrower and actually bolt together with a greasable center section that the axle bolt goes through.
I have put this project on the back burner as I have bought some other tractors that I'm working on.
Chuckt