#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Anyone know what the thread size is on the Flo-Jet 2 piece high speed jet? I have an extra carb but the PO had inserted the jet and stripped the head off of it. I had to drill and easyout the rest of it out. I see that the threads are buggered up a bit and I want to chase them before I put a new jet in. 

I wanted to replace the one I have on my tractor to see if I am having a carb problem or a points problem. The tractor runs but it sounds like a hit and miss engine and will not rev up. It burns real rich also. Hopefully I can get it going soon. Thanks. Roger.

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:45 PM

It is a fine thread tap size 5/16-32. I have been this route before lol.

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks chris, I have also but never have I had to drill the imulson tube out and use an easy out to get it out. I have seen carbs before that were thrown out because they were put in cross threaded. Thanks again. Roger.

• chris m said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:12 PM

I should add that you might want to get a starter tap and a bottom tap in that size, that is if you want to chase the threads all the way to the end. Go slow and don't let the tap bottom out. At the end of the threads it is tapered hole, And this is a critical spot that needs to seal well! The jet end is tapered to match, and the two have to seal together perfectly other wise you will have fuel leaking out the base of the carb. This throws a lot of people off because when they see the fuel leaking they aromatically think the float is sticking open and causing it to flood.

So if you get both tap, use the starter tap 1st (reg tap) thread it in about 1/2". Now remove the tap and insert the bottom tap and run that all the way to the bottom (not hitting though). If you only buy one tap buy the starter tap, you can always grind the point on the end off to make your own bottom tap.

Good luck :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks chris, I have also but never have I had to drill the imulson tube out and use an easy out to get it out. I have seen carbs before that were thrown out because they were put in cross threaded. Thanks again. Roger.

I have seen that a lot too! Also people will make the mistake of taking the two carb halves apart before they unscrew the tube.thus bending the tube, and having to replace it.

• hamman said thank you

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:45 AM

It is a fine thread tap size 5/16-32. I have been this route before lol.

Anybody had luck finding a helicoil in that size?  I have a few Flo-Jets running loose that would be ready to work if someone hadn't chewed the threads, and then brought them to me: "Hey, my jet won't tighten!"

Ben W.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 11:05 AM

I found another carb but it has the same problem PO didn't have the correst tool to remove hig speed jet and it is stripped in the hole. It was on a donor tractor I had bought a coupkle of years ago. Still looking for a tap and kit for the other one. Called several places and no one has a used carb for this. I can ordr a new carb for $ 189.00 + tax , however I am not looking for a gold plated one. Will keep trying and will update later. Roger.