#16 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 11:31 PM

I hope you didn't buy that Deere. I'm no Deere expert but the owner describes it as a LAWN TRACTOR and you don't want a lawn tractor. If you want to plow, you need a true GARDEN TRACTOR. If you are on a budget, then I'd choose a WheelHorse that has a gear type transmission and multi-speed trans-axle. Hydro's are great for many tasks but if it fails on you, it can be big bucks to repair or replace no matter how tough they were when first sold. Everything wears out eventually, including hydro's so be careful when choosing a tractor.

When plowing virgin soil, you are often asking everything from a tractor that it can possibly give and if there are any weak areas in the drivetrain, plowing will often show you where they are with a loud bang.

This tractor has a manual transmission with a variator drive between the motor and tranny.

#17 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 11:40 PM

Well, guys I bit the bullet and bought the JD212 for $300. It seems to be pretty solid and well kept. No extra noises or slack anywhere. The pulley that was mentioned as needing replacing was an idler pulley on the mower deck which I don't plan to use anyway. I have a really nice Craftsman YS4500 that fills the bill for mowing.

The JD is still on my truck. I haven't even had a chance to offload it and play with it yet, but from all accounts, I think I got my money's worth. It does not have a rear hitch, tho. Where do I start with that? It does not have any hydraulics, so every thing as far as lift is manual.

I'll try to get some pictures sometime over the weekend and see if I can figger out how to post them.

Thanks a bunch for all the help and advice.

Harry

#18 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Congratulations on your GT! Looking forward to seeing pics! (The sickness begins.....LOL!!!)

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 10:25 AM

:iagree::ditto:

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 10:36 AM

Well, guys I bit the bullet and bought the JD212 for $300. It seems to be pretty solid and well kept. No extra noises or slack anywhere. The pulley that was mentioned as needing replacing was an idler pulley on the mower deck which I don't plan to use anyway. I have a really nice Craftsman YS4500 that fills the bill for mowing.

The JD is still on my truck. I haven't even had a chance to offload it and play with it yet, but from all accounts, I think I got my money's worth. It does not have a rear hitch, tho. Where do I start with that? It does not have any hydraulics, so every thing as far as lift is manual.

I'll try to get some pictures sometime over the weekend and see if I can figger out how to post them.

Thanks a bunch for all the help and advice.

Harry

Congrats on the purchase and before long you will find more and more stuff coming home with you for the tractor or whole tractors :D

As for the rear lift, now that you have a specific brand you can post the question about the lift in the jd forum here. I don't know if Hapco parts sells aftermarket lifts or not but they are affiliated with LAGC magazine.

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted October 22, 2010 - 11:28 AM

Yes,congratulations.