#1 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for something I can plow with. It doesn't have to be perfect because I plan a resto on it also. Not really picky on brand, just want a good solid fixer upper. Thanks.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 10:43 PM

If I remember right you are from the central Mass area right? Keep an eye one craigslist. There are always nice garden tractors being posted on there. The other thing is to be patient. You can find a great gt for around $300 depending on attachments. Of course that also varies depending on what brand you want to have. Although there are occasions where some people have got great deals and sometimes they even magically follow people home. I am still working on that one myself.

You should also have access to our classifieds forum now and guys post finds on craigslist and ebay all the time. Are you willing to travel at all to get one?
  • harrycu said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 - 07:50 AM

As stated above there are some great deals around there if you look around.
  • harrycu said thank you

#4 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 - 04:39 PM

If I remember right you are from the central Mass area right? Keep an eye one craigslist. There are always nice garden tractors being posted on there. The other thing is to be patient. You can find a great gt for around $300 depending on attachments. Of course that also varies depending on what brand you want to have. Although there are occasions where some people have got great deals and sometimes they even magically follow people home. I am still working on that one myself.

You should also have access to our classifieds forum now and guys post finds on craigslist and ebay all the time. Are you willing to travel at all to get one?

No, I am from North Mississippi.
Yes, I don't mind traveling a respectable distance, thanks for the reply

Edited by harrycu, October 17, 2010 - 05:43 PM.

#5 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 17, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for something I can plow with. It doesn't have to be perfect because I plan a resto on it also. Not really picky on brand, just want a good solid fixer upper. Thanks.

PLOW???? Plow what? Snow/gravel/dirt ??? Or plow furrows into the earth? If it's the latter, is this competitive plowing or just your back garden?

#6 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 11:23 AM

PLOW???? Plow what? Snow/gravel/dirt ??? Or plow furrows into the earth? If it's the latter, is this competitive plowing or just your back garden?

Well....in Mississippi, we don't have much opportunity to do any snow plowing so that leaves that out. My main objective right now is just something to tinker with and plow a garden. Maybe the competition part will come later.

#7 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 11:39 AM

That little bit of information makes a big difference.

There are lots of excellent choices of older GT's that had optional three-point hitches available and many of those hitches are adjustable. Others can and should chime in here but I would suggest the older Cub Cadets, WheelHorse, Case, Sears Suburban, MTD 990 and Deere 318 and 400 series.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 12:51 PM

Massey Ferguson, Ford, the list is almost endless for good old iron for plowing. Don't be afraid of hydrostatic drive...they will plow like mules.

#9 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 02:43 PM

Well guys, I have an appointment today at 4 PM to go and look at an old John Deere. Here's the link to the listing on Craig's List:'83 John Deere riding mower . Any opinions? What are some things I should be looking for. Is this a good tractor for gardening?

Thanks,
Harry

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 20, 2010 - 03:17 PM

I don't know if my reply is too late before you left to go see it or not but it looks to be in alright shape and would work for what you are looking to do. It is a 12 horsepower, looks like it is a Kohler. I would find out what pulley it is that needs replaced. Generally look everything over really well. Start it up, drive it. Make sure there is no smoke, not a bunch of oil running everywhere. The picture they have posted makes it hard to see but check the grille at the lower mounting area, can't tell if it is broke or just can't see it well because of the pic. Make sure the deck isn't all rusted out. You can always negotiate on price. I would start at $300 if it was me.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 07:23 AM

How did you make out Harry?

#12 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 09:01 AM

I hope you didn't buy that Deere. I'm no Deere expert but the owner describes it as a LAWN TRACTOR and you don't want a lawn tractor. If you want to plow, you need a true GARDEN TRACTOR. If you are on a budget, then I'd choose a WheelHorse that has a gear type transmission and multi-speed trans-axle. Hydro's are great for many tasks but if it fails on you, it can be big bucks to repair or replace no matter how tough they were when first sold. Everything wears out eventually, including hydro's so be careful when choosing a tractor.

When plowing virgin soil, you are often asking everything from a tractor that it can possibly give and if there are any weak areas in the drivetrain, plowing will often show you where they are with a loud bang.

#13 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 07:39 PM

I hope you didn't buy that Deere. I'm no Deere expert but the owner describes it as a LAWN TRACTOR and you don't want a lawn tractor. If you want to plow, you need a true GARDEN TRACTOR. If you are on a budget, then I'd choose a WheelHorse that has a gear type transmission and multi-speed trans-axle. Hydro's are great for many tasks but if it fails on you, it can be big bucks to repair or replace no matter how tough they were when first sold. Everything wears out eventually, including hydro's so be careful when choosing a tractor.

When plowing virgin soil, you are often asking everything from a tractor that it can possibly give and if there are any weak areas in the drivetrain, plowing will often show you where they are with a loud bang.

I agree all points made by hydriv. Are you going to use whatever you buy to also mow with? Although my Speedex 1631 has a belly mower, I really haven't mowed with it to see just how well it does. BUT, if you're looking for something that fits all of the specs that hydriv listed, I would also highly recommend a Speedex, if you can find one. Or, just about ANY of the older, built-like-a-tank Cub Cadets. I can only vouch for my Cub model 123. Even though it's a hydro, it too is built VERY HEAVILY, especially compared to more recent tractors. Although my Craftsman GT6000 (mid-90's) also does a good job, it doesn't hold a candle to my Speedex or the Cub in the built-like-a-tank category.

Good luck with your search!

#14 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Well guys, I have an appointment today at 4 PM to go and look at an old John Deere. Here's the link to the listing on Craig's List:'83 John Deere riding mower . Any opinions? What are some things I should be looking for. Is this a good tractor for gardening?

Thanks,
Harry

The tractor in that listing is a jd212. It is a very capable garden tractor. It has a 12hp kohler k301 engine and a strong 2300 series peerless transaxle. It is a 4 speed, including a creeper gear that is great for tilling. There are lots of attachments out there for them - snowthhrower, dozer blade, tiller, sleeve hitch etc. If its in decent shape it would make a nice tractor for you. Good luck with your tractor hunting.

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 21, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Let us know how you made out.