lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I got a JD 210 where the PO had sitting out side for years just sitting.

I got it running and it starts and runs great, but it does smoke (burning oil smell)

for around 10 minutes after each time I start it ( after it cools down)

I think the rings are not free as they should be - cause it to smoke

I did check the valve clearance and they were now the money be the Kohler

If I am right - what is the best way without replacing the rings and valve job.

I would like not to take it apart at this time

would  Marvels Mystery Oil or some other additive help?

thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Did you change the oil yet? If not do it! Everyone has different methods they use.  I would prob start with marvel mixed in with the oil, (some use kerosene) If I wasn't going to tear it apart. Sometimes the rings will seat them selves after you run the engine for awhile. I have a K181 that did the same thing. And it smoked real good for about 3 weeks. Now just a little puff of smoke on start up. I also changed the oil again after I ran it for a couple days. I am a big believer in keeping the oil clean in an engine, especially a splash lubricated engine!!

• lyall, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Chris is right, start with an oil change and you can add Marvel Mystery Oil(MMO) to the oil. In addition, I add MMO to the gas where it can clean the valves and combustion chamber. It will leak down to the rings and clean them. If the rings are stuck because of carbon build up it will free them in awhile. If the rings are rusted it may not. A quart of MMO is $4 at Walmart and is well worth it to try. I add MMO to the gas in all of my engines. Good Luck, Rick

Congrats on the new toy.

Edited by boyscout862, April 15, 2013 - 09:12 PM.

• lyall, HDWildBill, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:17 AM

You could also run seafoam through the engine to decarbon it but IMO the best thing to do would be to invest a few $ in a head gasket and pull the head to have a look see. Carbon buildup can be a problem on these engines and it's easy to see it and remove it with the head off. You also can get a look at the cylinder wall and valves.

• SamMC said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 06:39 AM

You could also run seafoam through the engine to decarbon it but IMO the best thing to do would be to invest a few $ in a head gasket and pull the head to have a look see. Carbon buildup can be a problem on these engines and it's easy to see it and remove it with the head off. You also can get a look at the cylinder wall and valves.

Brian's right.  I had an engine, although Briggs, that would smoke on start up.  There was a bunch of carbon junk all inside the head.  I think I removed the original head gasket, that's how bad it looked.  It took a few minutes to clean up, I also was able to clean around the valves.  Strapped it back together, and it had much better compression, and it didn't smoke as much as it did.

I'd imagine the rings are stuck in the grooves, though.  Give it a good workout and see if that helps loosen things up.

Ben W.

• lyall and SamMC have said thanks

#6 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:38 AM

i would try putting wd40 down the sparkplug hole. then let it sit. also put mmo in oil and gas to help clean it out

#7 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:38 AM

If I hang around you guys long enough, you will have me pulling apart engines like there is nothing to it. Thanks for the knowledge and confidence.

• lyall said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 07:53 AM

If I hang around you guys long enough, you will have me pulling apart engines like there is nothing to it. Thanks for the knowledge and confidence.

Just remember we're always here when needed! You can do it!

• lyall, JDBrian and SamMC have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 10:23 AM

We all learn from each other here. It's one of the benefits of membership.

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm a big believer in Marvel Mystery oil. I started using it when I was shooting competive Benchrest rifles. Iwas the only thing I found that would not change point of impact onthe first shot ot of a clean barrel. I use it in everything!

Your on the right track!

• sacsr said thank you

#11 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 09:19 PM

you all got me thinking

years ago a old mechanic used transmission fluid to remove carbon build up in car motors, forgot about it until I was reading all the posts

so if I can squirt some into the carb and see it that works

if I remember him doing it there was a lot of smoke, and the motor did ran better after that

I think I might try it and also use MMO in the oil

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I've seen the trany fluid trick. MMO smells alot better when you do it. MMO is 20w oil with additives. I've poured MMO down the carb many times since SEP67 when my grandfather taught me to do it. I worry about some of the additives in the trany fluids. Good Luck, Rick

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 20, 2013 - 01:58 PM

If I remember the story right? MMO was developed back when Hydralic lifters were first coming into use.
The oils used at that time, were not that good and sludge would clog the passages in the lifters.
MMo was a blend of transmition oil and kerosene and I am sure other additives. Going by the smell I would guess there is some wintergreen oil in it too. I put a bit in my garden tractor fuel and in the engine oil often. and will add some to the cars too.

Back in the 60s there was not a service station around that did not have a big display of additives to solve any problem you were having with your car or truck.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 20, 2013 - 02:01 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 07:50 AM

If I remember the story right? MMO was developed back when Hydralic lifters were first coming into use.
The oils used at that time, were not that good and sludge would clog the passages in the lifters.
MMo was a blend of transmition oil and kerosene and I am sure other additives. Going by the smell I would guess there is some wintergreen oil in it too. I put a bit in my garden tractor fuel and in the engine oil often. and will add some to the cars too.

Back in the 60s there was not a service station around that did not have a big display of additives to solve any problem you were having with your car or truck.

Many years ago, I was talking to a friends father. He said that they used MMO in aircraft engines in the 1930s when he was working at an airfield. I worked gas stations in the late 60s and we stocked everything additives displayed out front, hoses, belts, filters, tuneup parts and tires. In those days nobody but gas stations, grocery stores and restuarants were allowed to be open on Sundays, in Connecticut. I sold alot of parts on Sundays.