• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 treeslayer2003 OFFLINE  

treeslayer2003
  • Member No: 30561
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 06:05 PM

hello all  been reading awhile but have a little different problem I bought a 3118 last year 620 hrs love it so far but when changing direction while mowing deck will nearly stop for a minute unless very carefully ease directional control ahead very slowly  engine rpm remains constant  linkage seems good I will shortly change hydro oil to rotella but someone has put a napa oil filter on the hydro system that cant be right does anyone know of a hydro filter number I could pick up at a local hydro shop maybe a Schroeder or parker number? or do you think there may be another problem ???  I have learned a lot from this site already its a great site since we have several masseys and a bolens as well thanks for all this great info

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Please feel free to introduce yourself in the Member Introduction forum.  Thanks for joining us.

• treeslayer2003 said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 06:30 PM

Welcome to GTt,

What you need is Ingersoll filter # C33445, should be able to cross it over as it's used on a lot of tractors.

Edited by John@Reliable, April 15, 2013 - 06:30 PM.

#4 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:05 PM

Are you surprised some one crossed over to napa filter instead of Ingersoll filter.Or because using oil filter for a system that uses oil not hydraulic oil. Is your deck run by belt? 

#5 treeslayer2003 OFFLINE  

treeslayer2003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:09 PM

thanks john have you ever heard of these tractors acting like this?

#6 treeslayer2003 OFFLINE  

treeslayer2003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:14 PM

gopher my deck is run with hydro motor my fear is that a oil filter my be to tight and restrict flow or am I over thinking this

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 07:53 PM

You have the all hyd tractor I'd do as John said with Ingersoll filter. You could look up specs for micron filtration and check against napa filter. I would think if filter was restricting oil flow it would bog your motor down with back pressure.  

#8 treeslayer2003 OFFLINE  

treeslayer2003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:03 PM

that makes sense gopher prolly should just get factory filter any other ideas on why this tractor does this i'd like to run down any possible problems as the grass is growin

#9 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 08:44 PM

The best I came up with is the AH relieve valve is in the line between pump and pto and going from one direction to the other is snapping it open and by passing oil. Check your tc ball joint for wear I don't know if you can lower your deck down enough to get good view of ball joint. With tractor off have someone take control out of neutral detente to half full forward and apply light force back and forth while you watch. Very small amount of slack makes for jerky movement of travel  spool. Smooth transition in changing direction seams to be the key to these tractors.          

#10 treeslayer2003 OFFLINE  

treeslayer2003
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:00 PM

gopher I think were cookin now I have the deck off and saw that joint at the valve it seems pretty tight to me not a familier joint though speciel thing? the other end does look suspect to me I think ican inprove the fit there as for relieve valve do they give trouble? i'll take a closer look tomarrow and check like you said thanks for helpin me out much appreciated

#11 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• 564 Thanks
  • 626 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 09:46 PM

I'm not saying relieve bad but that probably whats stopping mower. I think if you shift from one to other to fast it has pressure then hits neutral and back to pressure it sends a pulse through line snapping relieve valve open. That's why its best with two people watch the back of the two nuts on ball joint for any movement in joint. If all fails you might have to sorta smell the roses. And just slow down a little bit good luck with it.