#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Finally got dad's tractor in the heated garage and have begun to get it running again. Many know  the story of " BOB " and how it has been in the family since it was new. I've had it to a couple of people to get it running only to get it haome and it stops running shortly thereafter. I bought a spark tester and will sheck the points, condenser and plug to see if they are up to par. I want to put a car battery in it to make starting easier and less of a drain on the battery. It was putting out 12+ volts last time I checked it so I know the starter generator is working fine. I recently got a complete rear lift kit for it and have it ready to install on Bob as soon as we have it running good. Once the spark is to my satisfaction I will remove the carb and clean it and reinstall it. Then I will fab something to make the bigger battery fit in him without altrering his looks. Here are a few pictures of Bob as he sits in teh garage now. I had originaly wanted to repaint him but our family has decided to keep him as he looks with only cleaning and coating of the paint and polishing. Thanks. Roger.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF4041.JPG
  • DSCF4042.JPG
  • DSCF4043.JPG
  • DSCF4044.JPG

• boyscout862, Newpaws493, SearsYellow and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:09 PM

I think that one is in better shape than my T15 when I picked it up. Good luck with it, Roger.

• hamman and SearsYellow have said thanks

#3 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 01:32 PM

R-91 car battery will fit right in.i use them in all mine.
  • hamman, KennyP and SearsYellow have said thanks

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 02:04 PM

We ( mechanic wife and I) put fresh gas in and it started right up. Will idle fine but misses bad when you try to speed it up. Carb started leaking out the bottom weep hole so I figured the float and needel seat were stuck. Took the carb off and cleaned it up and we are getting it ready to reinstall on the tractor. I did find that the high speed srew has a ridge around it on the end. I believe that was part of the problem. I have another new one so we will put that in. Low speed idle screw looks good and will repalce it as well. Was great to hear Bob run again. It is by far my favorite GT of all we have. Lookingforward to getting it running correctly and using it to mow again. I don't have the rock shield for the mower deck but I have seen what some of you guys have done with mud flaps and I think that is what I am going to do. More after I get the carb back on and see how he runs. Roger.  

• boyscout862 and SearsYellow have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:10 PM

That's a good looking survivor you have there. Deserves the care you are giving him!

• hamman, SearsYellow and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Carb is back on and it starts but it runs like a hit and miss engine! Runs very rich at this time. Will run with choke off, still runs rich. Adjusting high and low idle screws seems to have little effect unless you get to the extreme close or extreme loose on the high idle screw. I don't have another carb to put on to try at this time. Any of you small engine gurus out there that have an idea on what is happening I would appreciate your input or suggestions. Still trying to get it running straight. Thanks. Roger.

• SearsYellow said thank you

#7 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hamman, I wish I were of help with your carb issues but I seem to be the worst around at getting those old Flojet carbs to work right.
I will get it running smooth then a few minutes later I'm tinkering with them again. I don't seem to have that trouble with other carbs. Regardless I like Briggs cast iron better than the kohlers. . Starts easier, runs smoother, and I just love he way they sound.

As for Bob, I think he looks great just as he is, though you might want to very sparingly and carefully use a little brush on rust converter to kill the spot rust. Carefully mask to keep it off the good paint. Or even just chip the loose edges of the worst rust spots and seal the spots with a clear lacquer. I think Mothers machining compound and a buffer would clean up that hood. The Allis built Homelites are a real oddity and I have never seen one in person. It is hard to tell but it looks like you may have room in the battery box for the 51R battery that most of us use in the Simplicity made RBT's. The 51R is a bonified auto battery.

#8 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 117 Thanks
  • 128 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 02:14 PM

R51on the battery number.sorry for the mistake!

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 02:49 PM

These carbs are a headache on these briggs engines. I had a JCPenneys Simplicity Baron. People over tighten the jets and strip the threads out. Once they strip the threads out and it allows gas to get around the main jet and it constantly flows gas. I finally had to break down and buy a new carb. These updraft carbs are famous for this. I've had 3 of these briggs and ALL of them have been a problem.

The green is the correct way the gas suppose to travel.

Blue is the way it travels whenever the main needle jet is over tightened or needs to be replaced.

The arrows are pointing out the problems.

Attached Thumbnails

• Carbissue.jpg

Edited by SearsYellow, April 16, 2013 - 02:51 PM.

• hamman, sacsr and Cat385B have said thanks

#10 simplicityac nut OFFLINE  

simplicityac nut

• Member No: 7897
  • 18 Thanks
  • 77 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thats a really nice tractor,built like a tank,good luck with it

• SearsYellow said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:13 PM

The green is the correct way the gas suppose to travel.

Blue is the way it travels whenever the main needle jet is over tightened or needs to be replaced.

The arrows are pointing out the problems.

Where was that diagram two years ago? :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

#12 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 04:27 AM

Where was that diagram two years ago? :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

Here:

http://www.simpletra...&TOPIC_ID=14856

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Ithink I have the carb figured out and he is running good. I painted the Nelson can muffler just to preserve it!DSCF4132.JPG Can't find them anymore, however I hear there is someone making them now. Tiller is on and ready for work.DSCF4128.JPG  I took him for a small ride today and it felt great. He hasn't run for a long time. I can't close the hood because of the battery I have in right now. New one will be in tomorrow. I hope to have a pulley for the BGB for the tiller later today and then it will be ready to go. Wife was all smiles as I rode him around the driveway. Here are a few pics of him out in the sun. Thanks RogerDSCF4133.JPG DSCF4131.JPG DSCF4127.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#14 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Bob is lookin' good!   23_28_6.gif

• hamman said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 03:48 PM

I agree with Greg! I like that dash! Looks great to me! Go, Bob, Go!

• hamman said thank you