28 replies to this topic

#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Well Im slowly getting over my bolens and decided to get back on the horse and get a new tractor. Found 2 wheel horse c series. A working c160 and a dead c120. with snow blower, mower, and a dozer blade. Since GTs are anything but cheap up here I consider I had a good deal. The seller wanted 1250$ for em. I haggled down to 750$ I will be needing a lot of info and help getting theese tractors in good enough condition to work this summer. Anyone willing to help ID ing the horses or sharing experience would be very apreciated. I dont have many pics right now but heres a little video of the 160 when I tried it out today.

Attached File  video.htm   250.63KB   155 downloads

More will follow as I get them home this week and start figuring out what has to be fixed/repaired/ripped off/replaced.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:01 AM

Congrats on the new Horses. I know what you mean about expensive GT's up here in Canada. The deals routinely scored by our southern friends really are shocking at times!

• hatedge said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Those are good tractors and parts are available. They are lighter but faster than the Bolens was. Good Luck, Rick

• hatedge said thank you

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 06:50 AM

The C160 is my personal favorite!

• hatedge said thank you

#5 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:03 PM

thanks guys

Congrats on the new Horses. I know what you mean about expensive GT's up here in Canada. The deals routinely scored by our southern friends really are shocking at times!

Im sooo jealous at times  :(  I wish I could get them gts for a hundred bucks like they do and have parts available all  around like our US friends

Those are good tractors and parts are available. They are lighter but faster than the Bolens was. Good Luck, Rick

I dont know if parts are available round here Wheel horse are not really common.... like most GTs:(  I know ill have to find a clutch assy. and its pulley and a pair of deck lift levers, stickers will also have to be found later this summer when paint is done.

The C160 is my personal favorite!

Well my plan for now is to get the working 160 engine out of its ugly yellow painted hood and swapp it into the still original 120 body. Ill also change the c120/c160 tags to match the engines.

Edited by hatedge, April 15, 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#6 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:05 PM

I can't seem to watch your video. But I'm happy you got the 2 tractors!

:ditto:

I wonder if it's a Facebook permission thing? Not a member, can't watch it!

yep its a facebook thing, ill be posting some pics again either tonite or tomorow

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I dont know if parts are available round here Wheel horse are not really common.... like most GTs:(  I know ill have to find a clutch assy. and its pulley and a pair of deck lift levers, stickers will also have to be found later this summer when paint is done.

Parts are very common on eBay. Also, there are dealers in used parts. One man, Dave's tractor world in PA, has a web site. Electric clutches are rare and very expensive. There is a guy who sells repro decals.

• hatedge said thank you

#8 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 15, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Parts are very common on eBay. Also, there are dealers in used parts. One man, Dave's tractor world in PA, has a web site. Electric clutches are rare and very expensive. There is a guy who sells repro decals.

Yeah We know you guys got parts down in the states but up here in Canada it very hard to find and shipping parts are expensive. Last summer for my Bolens I was asked to pay well over a grand for a wheel hub, a gas pump and an axle shaft, shipping not included :mad2:  with that kind of prices getting a GT running will cost me between 3 and 4 thousand, I could get a recent model for less or a working old farm tractor for that price

• JDBrian said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:08 AM

Yeah We know you guys got parts down in the states but up here in Canada it very hard to find and shipping parts are expensive. Last summer for my Bolens I was asked to pay well over a grand for a wheel hub, a gas pump and an axle shaft, shipping not included :mad2:  with that kind of prices getting a GT running will cost me between 3 and 4 thousand, I could get a recent model for less or a working old farm tractor for that price

I thought JD parts were expensive! I've had good luck with site sponsor Joesoutdoorpower for JD parts. The shipping was often more than the parts but the parts themselves were affordable. The asking price for worn out tractors is the other half of the equation. Most people seem to grossly underestimate the cost and time required to restore a GT. It's a major commitment and in the end you will almost never get your investment back.

• hatedge said thank you

#10 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Well Im slowly getting over my bolens and decided to get back on the horse and get a new tractor. Found 2 wheel horse c series. A working c160 and a dead c120. with snow blower, mower, and a dozer blade. Since GTs are anything but cheap up here I consider I had a good deal. The seller wanted 1250$ for em. I haggled down to 750$ I will be needing a lot of info and help getting theese tractors in good enough condition to work this summer. Anyone willing to help ID ing the horses or sharing experience would be very apreciated. I dont have many pics right now but heres a little video of the 160 when I tried it out today.

attachicon.gifvideo.htm

More will follow as I get them home this week and start figuring out what has to be fixed/repaired/ripped off/replaced.

The ID plates should be on the hoodstand and possibly up tight to the bottom of the dash housing or around the corner on the left above the lift lever. Model number, serial number and possibly Julian build date. Failing that post all the numbers off the engines including the Kohler serial number. Not many had a Tecumseh.

Garry
  • hatedge said thank you

#11 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:08 PM

The ID plates should be on the hoodstand and possibly up tight to the bottom of the dash housing or around the corner on the left above the lift lever. Model number, serial number and possibly Julian build date. Failing that post all the numbers off the engines including the Kohler serial number. Not many had a Tecumseh.

Garry

The engines are kohlers in both c120 and c160.

C 120 id plate reads : model 1 c495 9 serial: 63899

C 160 id plate reads :  model 1 c481 serial : 107229

#12 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I thought JD parts were expensive! I've had good luck with site sponsor Joesoutdoorpower for JD parts. The shipping was often more than the parts but the parts themselves were affordable. The asking price for worn out tractors is the other half of the equation. Most people seem to grossly underestimate the cost and time required to restore a GT. It's a major commitment and in the end you will almost never get your investment back.

Same with my snowmobiles :(  If you want to restore anything youre bound to loose out when you sell it.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:44 PM

It's hard to do restorations if you are in it for the money. It may be possible to make some money buying low and fixing the broken stuff then re selling. A complete restore is just too expensive and time consuming to do for money. I like the challenge and getting something I can use and be proud of at the end of all the work. 

• hatedge said thank you

#14 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 05:47 PM

At first glance if I want to get both of em in working order I need 2 lifting levers, a pto clutch assy. a coil, 3 mower blades and time to figure out more about those models and tons of help figuring things out   :wave:

Edited by hatedge, April 16, 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#15 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted April 16, 2013 - 08:18 PM

The engines are kohlers in both c120 and c160.

C 120 id plate reads : model 1 c495 9 serial: 63899
C 160 id plate reads :  model 1 c481 serial : 107229

The first one is model number 1-0495 1974 C-120 Automatic. The 9 on the end is not used but if you subtract 5 from that 6th digit you get the model year. 9-5=4=1974. You will see 6, 7, 8 and 9 on the attachments at the time also representing 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1974.

1-0481 is a 1975 C-160 Automatic.

Garry
  • hatedge said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheel horse, c120, c160