• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't think I will have time to tinker tonight because of staying at work late doing software updates. I should be able to get home on Thursday at normal time and I will get a timing light or the meter on it and check the timing.

I triple checked the timing dots on the cam and crank when I put the motor back together.

• olcowhand said thank you

#47 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 11:19 AM

I figured you checked all that close, but thought I'd make mention.  On my dirt bike, having a cam chain made it less simple to be sure all is aligned.

#48 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:53 PM

I am anxious to dig in to it some more. I would love to do a diesel or another engine swap but I would much rather save the money towards getting a bigger truck with more cab space. Hopefully it does turn out to be timing issues and nothing else. As long as it will spin the trail mower without killing it than I will be fine. It did alright plowing. Just couldn't push it too hard.

#49 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 01:57 PM

George, maybe the camshaft is in backwards, or you didn't get the cam lobes locked down tight!    :smilewink:   But on a serious note.....could there be blockage in the muffler?   That will sure stifle an engine....bad!  By the sound it's open, but just a thought.

#50 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 02:35 PM

I am going to go with something fuel/air related. I have a onan that does something similar, runs great and acts ok until there is a heavy load. Then it bogs down bad. How do I know its it mix related (on my onan) you can turn both adjustment screws all the way in and it still runs ok.

Try making half turns on the hi side screw and see if it makes a difference in the bogging.

#51 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 17, 2013 - 04:56 PM

George, maybe the camshaft is in backwards, or you didn't get the cam lobes locked down tight!    :smilewink:   But on a serious note.....could there be blockage in the muffler?   That will sure stifle an engine....bad!  By the sound it's open, but just a thought.

:ditto:

If the timing checks out to be good or after you reset it there is not much improvement then restricted exhaust would be the next thing to check, as said above.

Larger dia exhaust pipe and elbows right from the motor, 1 size up.

Check or replace the muffler with one that can handle the exhaust flow from the engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, hydro, transmission