• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well after finally getting a chance to really put the Bush Hog HD-12 to some hard labor I was able to see how it would do. Overall it does great and I like running it. It does a great job plowing as long as I don't lay in to the hydro pedal too far.

When I first noticed it was when we did the tug of war at plow day. I ended up stalling the motor because I tried going full bore with the pedal. If I go more than half way it starts to kill the engine. I just can't tell if it is because the engine doesn't have enough muscle or if there might be some sort of issue with the hydro creating too much pressure. I would think the tires would spin before killing the engine.

The tug of war was on Friday and Saturday when we were plowing I only made one round because I wanted to shoot as much video as possible. I wanted to see if it would do the same thing while plowing and sure enough it did. I can plow with the engine at idle, 1/4 throttle, full throttle or anywhere in between but even at full throttle as soon as I try to go past 1/2 to 3/4 pedal with it pulling it wants to kill the engine.

Alan and I were talked later Saturday and he mentioned the points gap which during our discussion I realized I never checked it. So today I took some time and checked the points gap and it was off a little bit. It was too tight on the gap. Manual calls for .023 and I would say it was around .010. So I re-gapped the points. The other thing I did was I only had the governor spring on the 4th hole and I moved it to the 7th hole on the governor arm.

Took the HD-12 for a drive around the yard and the one smaller hill I tested it on. I had it at full throttle and about 1/4 pedal starting up the hill and tried giving it full pedal about mid way up and it wanted to bog down and die. If I am running on the flat or light load it will run with full pedal travel even at idle.

I am guessing that the hydro unit might need rebuilt or replaced or the engine just doesn't have enough snot to it.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'll be thinking on this, but may not come up with any answers.  None of mine have acted like that, but then 2 of my 3 JB's with the same system have large engines that would be tough to stall.  The one original JB I have never had in a good pull to see if it might act like that.  It might be that your governor is opening so wide so fast that the engine is getting flooded with fuel.  

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Was there any difference between yesterday and today George? I was hoping it was something simple... Oh well.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:37 PM

Was there any difference between yesterday and today George? I was hoping it was something simple... Oh well.

Not really much of a difference. The engine seems a little smoother now though. Still wants to bog down even at full throttle. 

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'll be thinking on this, but may not come up with any answers.  None of mine have acted like that, but then 2 of my 3 JB's with the same system have large engines that would be tough to stall.  The one original JB I have never had in a good pull to see if it might act like that.  It might be that your governor is opening so wide so fast that the engine is getting flooded with fuel.  

That might be a possibility with the governor. It seems fairly smooth though. There is a possibility that even though the carb that is on it looks almost identical to what is suppose to be on there that it just isn't working right. The model on that carb is supposedly for a V4 wisconsin. The bogging though seems worse than what a better carb could take care of though. I think it might just need more power.

Might have to do a diesel on the HD-12 :D

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:40 PM

At full throttle, the butterfly in the carb is still a long way from full open, but when the governor kicks it wide open, that's when the carb "may" be loading it up.  This carb was for a larger engine, and even with the main adjusted down now with your kit, it still may react differently with your engine than a larger one.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:43 PM

At full throttle, the butterfly in the carb is still a long way from full open, but when the governor kicks it wide open, that's when the carb "may" be loading it up.  This carb was for a larger engine, and even with the main adjusted down now with your kit, it still may react differently with your engine than a larger one.

You might be on to something. I noticed that the engine seemed to sound like it was loading up when sitting still and revving it to full throttle but if I leaned it out at all the governor would surge.

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:44 PM

" I can plow with the engine at idle, 1/4 throttle, full throttle or anywhere in between but even at full throttle as soon as I try to go past 1/2 to 3/4 pedal with it pulling it wants to kill the engine.

Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Is that the right carb? on there?

That's what it was doing when it was here, and we thought lack of compression, but

you looked after that, right?

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Is that the right carb?  

I went the other direction, but yes, it could be exactly the opposite also.  But I do think it's fuel/carb related.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'd be leaning in the direction of engine issues.  Do you have a mower deck that would give mostly the engine a good workout? 

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#11 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:53 PM

I agree with Daniel and will. It sure seems fuel related. Do you still have the original carb or the numbers form it?

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'd be leaning in the direction of engine issues.  Do you have a mower deck that would give mostly the engine a good workout? 

Oh yeah, put the trail mower on it & hit some TALL grass!  Great thinking there Howard!   :thumbs:   If it does the same thing, then the hydro is not at fault for sure!

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:00 PM

I can put the trail mower behind it as soon as I get the new belts for the pto. Would be a good test for it and narrow it down to the engine itself.

She doesn't smoke at all anymore in regards to burning oil but it does leak a little oil at the valve cover plate. Even though the reeds seem to be working and there is no blockage in the breather hose it seems to build a little too much crank case pressure. I haven't confirmed this though. 

I know it isn't the right carb. At least not going by the model number that is stamped on it. On the page Scott linked to in the other thread the model number carb I have goes to some V4 Wisconsin engine. I will have to look again to get the exact model number engine.

I don't know if I want to spend $250 for a carb to find out it doesn't fix the issue.

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:00 PM

That might be a possibility with the governor. It seems fairly smooth though. There is a possibility that even though the carb that is on it looks almost identical to what is suppose to be on there that it just isn't working right. The model on that carb is supposedly for a V4 wisconsin. The bogging though seems worse than what a better carb could take care of though. I think it might just need more power.

Might have to do a diesel on the HD-12 :D

If the carb your using is for a V4 engine then most likely it's too big, when the butterfly opens up under load the carb bogs.

Like a Holley 850 on a stock Chevy straight six, not enough air flow through the carb for it to work properly.

• NUTNDUN said thank you

#15 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 14, 2013 - 09:01 PM

So, it bogs down, when you put demand on it, and then doesn't want to

recover?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bush hog, hd-12, hydro, transmission